Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: The concept and usage of Lures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pretty sure most of us have gone fishing at one point. You put something on the line, whether it be a hook with a worm, or a fishing lure. You cast out the line and you hope for something to bite. When it does, you set the hook, reel the fish in, and you get what you want. There is a similar concept in competitive battling.

In competitive battling, we try to lure the foe to put them in a situation where one of my sweepers can set up easily, and potentially wipe out his whole team. Creating that situation can be done by sending out your sweeper on a Choiced Pokemon that is using an attack that will not do much damage, or sending in a sweeper on a Pokemon that cannot harm it in any way, shape, or form. Either way, this creates a scenario where you can set up and sweep.

Now for some examples: I send out my Gengar to try to sweep. Often, something Choice Banded, like Scizor, Tyranitar, or Heracross, come in and Pursuit my Gengar. Okay, so they have KOed my Gengar. However, because they are locked into Pursuit, I can send in my Lucario to use Swords Dance, and proceed to annihilate his whole team.

Lures are an advanced kind of psychological battling. Even though the foe thinks he is doing the right thing by KOing one of my Pokemon, he has just messed up.

This thread is for discussion of Lures; what you have tried and how they have done.

Here's a couple of my favorite Lure combos:

Gengar and Lucario- Just read the first example.
Rhyperior and Salamence- Rhyperior attracts Water and Grass attacks that Salamence resist, and Salamence can DD up and hurt.
Gyarados and Electivire / Jolteon- Gyarados attracts Electric attacks, which Electivire and Jolteon both benefit from. Electivire gets a +1 speed boost, and Jolteon gets 25% of its HP restored.
Scizor and Heatran- Scizor attracts Fire attacks and Will-o-wisp, which means Heatran gets a Flash Fire boost, making its Fire Blast far more scarier.
(I'll edit with more as I recall them.)
The simpliest is Gyarados to attract electric moves,Electivires switches in,gets the nice speed boost and can also use Meditate or just sweep.Or you just send a Pokemon thought to be a Physical Sweeper to lure the Physical Wall and you use a special move(or the opposite).Then you can easily KO the other wall too.
There's another cool idea out there that you take two Pokemon that share similar counters. Although the team can stop the first sweeper, the second one can succeed because its counters are weakened by the previous sweep. I'm trying to remember what combo that was for...

Also updated with George's, as well as my own, lures.
Lures can also be like something that brings in its counters then kills them with a special moveset.
Like a Tyranitar that has Ice Beam, Bulky Grounds (normal switch-ins) get hit with a SE hit on their weaker sides. This can open the way for more sweepers with the same counters.

EDIT: Hey E-Ace, do you by any chance go to Smogon, I think I remember your account name from one time when I was browsing.
My turn. Here are the lures of my team! As in every lure in order to be successful you should have the required experience and be lucky as well. Lets start!
1 lure! Lets say we are in a situation blissey against heatran. Note that the heatran should not have a choice item! So i just seismic toss till the opponents pokemon is on low health! Then almost anyone decides to explode the heatran! Then i switch to my gengar and the job is completed! The same happens when my blissey is against lucario. I also switch back to gengar. BUT to beat lucario i also have to use destiny bond because my attacks cant beat it! And i tell you d-bond works just perfectly!
2 lure! This has been used over 10 opponents and has succeeded 7 times(i have saved these logs)! Im not thinking of posting them just to show you the trick.BUT i will check them again and if one is interesting i will post it! When dealing with a swampert lead (i have a skarmory lead) i switch to latias! So i lure him to just take one more curse and then rest! Ha! i use energy ball and its down! None i mean it NONE is expecting that as they find it a perfect time to set up! You see its not usual for a latias to have energy ball!
OK thats all for now! I will tell you more in the not so near future as the preparations for my awesome new team are starting in 1 week!!
at my first team i will go the scizor heatran tactic Smile its a great idea !
Reference URL's