Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: The Quintessential Revenge-Killer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So most of us are familiar with threats like Lucario, Tyranitar, Salamence, Gyarados, Gengar, and Scizor. Yeah, those Pokemon that makes most of us shake our heads everytime they destroy our well-built offensive team due to a fatal misplay or flaw. Well, thank goodness for Jirachi. Every single one of the aforementioned threats (and some other minor ones that I rarely see) can be stopped by the dangerous ScarfRachi.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Thunderpunch / U-turn / Zen Headbutt
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

I'm going to quote smogon user JabbaTheGriffin's most recent RMT for a description for this set:

JabbaTheGriffin Wrote:Jirachi is what I like to call a "failsafe." Gyarados has a DD and flinched Skarmory to death? Revenge with Jirachi! DDTar somehow pulled 2 DD's out of nowhere? Revenge with Jirachi! Salamence is a complete [polla] and used Dragon Dance? Hope it's not Jolly! I originally never even considered Jirachi as an option until I almost lost to a Gyarados that killed Skarmory, Flinched Rotom and MISSED Stone Edge against Zapdos. And then I saw my insane DDMence weakness and realized that I needed a catch-all Pokemon that could revenge all the biggest threats in DPP. Jirachi fits that bill. Iron Head is also a very nice cleanup move, allowing me to be a complete [polla] to my opponents by flinching them to death.

(words in brackets are for the innocent Big Grin)

A few FAQs:

Q: Describe the moveset in full detail. EVs and all.
A: Iron Head covers Gengar, Tyranitar, Azelf, Roserade, Frosslass, and countless others. Part of the key to Jirachi's success is Iron Head's 30% flinch chance combined with Serene Grace, causing flinches 60% of the time. Basically, Jirachi can take out any frail or defensively weak Pokemon by flinching them to death with Iron Head. Ice Punch eliminates Flygon and Salamence. Fire Punch is for Scizor, but it will also OHKO SD Lucario after a Close Combat (thanks to the Defense drop.) Thunderpunch and U-turn are the last two options. Thunderpunch takes out Gyarados (and helps a lot against offensive Empoleon,) where as U-turn is an excellent scouting / stall breaking move. Incredibly handy when you have no freakin' clue what the foe will do next. Lastly, Zen Headbutt OHKOes Infernape, and gets a 40% flinch chance and STAB, although the accuracy is a drawback.

The nature and EVs are to maximize Jirachi's attacking power. The 252 Spd EVs and Jolly nature guarantee a speed tie with all DD Salamence, hopefully killing him before he kills you. Besides, Jirachi needs all the speed he can get to make Iron Head's flinches as effective as possible.

Q: What teams do Jirachi go well on?
A: This specific Jirachi fits nicely on all offensive teams that dont mind extra assurance against top-tier threats.

Q: So can I just throw Jirachi on a team and just say that all the threats of the OU are covered?
A: NO. The key word when using this Jirachi set is revenge killer. Feel free to use it as your full-time Salamence and Tyranitar counter, but it should not be your primary counter for all the given threats. Pairing Jirachi up with a reliable Lucario and Gyarados counter (Rotom-H says hello, and Cresselia makes a nice wifi replacement) will take the load off of Jirachi, making him more effective.

Jirachi can also help with your other sweepers. Pokemon like Gyarados, Salamence, and NP Infernape would like something that can weaken the bulky waters a bit. Jirachi lures out these waters and weakens them thanks to a STAB Iron Head + flinching. After a few rounds of this, your sweeper can set up and clean up the foe's team.

For actual partners, Jirachi and Latias make an awesome "defensive" core of any offensive / balanced team. Latias stops Infernape rather well, which is something Jirachi can't really stop safely. Add in a nice Lucario / general steel counter (Rotom-H, Bulky Gyarados, and Zapdos all spring to mind) and you have covered all the major offensive threats of the OU metagame.

Comments, Questions, and stuff can be posted here, but don't expect them to be answered quickly (I will be answering them around 3:00 am Greece time Toungue)
I have read this,only thing I don't like is flinch being referred to all the time.
* GeorgeSlayer hates losing due to hax.
Reference URL's