Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: EV Training and EP's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This Guide is MINE(Although I copy-Pasted from a site where I'm Junior Mod I had wrote it there). I though to posted here too, because there are some members that may don't know how to EV train. So I posted this Guide here, too to help!Big Grin

What is and why we need EV(Effort Value) Training

Some will say "what's so useful about EV Training?". Well, if a Pokemon is EV Trained well, it is much stronger and better than the others. A pokemon's EP should match with the pokemon's role(for example a wall has it's EP on HP and Defence). Every pokemon has an EP limit at 510 and every stat at 255. If you want a stat hit max, the EP at this Stat must be at least 252. A well trained pokemon the most of the times it has 252 EP in 2 Stats and 6 in another(If Sweeper, the most of the times in HP). After this you will ask "And how do I know which pokemon gives the EP's I need?", the answer is very simple! Once you have access at the Internet, you can look at a pokedex in a site and by every stat you can see a number( for example by Regigigas attack you can see a 3) These are the Effort Points Regigigas give in a battle.

Power Items

Every pokemon gives a specific number of EP in the same stat always and if you want to make the EV Training faster you can give your pokemon a Power Item. these are
  • Power Weight; gives 4 HP EP's after every battle
  • Power Bracer; gives 4 Attack EP's after every battle
  • Power Belt; gives 4 Defence EP's after every battle
  • Power Lens; gives 4 Sp.Attack EP's after every battle
  • Power Band; gives 4 Sp.Defence EP's after every battle
  • Power Anklet; gives 4 Speed EP's after every battle

Pokemon for EV Training
  • For HP EP's go for Bidoof(1 HP EP/5 with Power Weight)
  • For Attack EP's go for Bibarel(2 Attack EP/6 with Power Item)/Machop(1 Attack EP/5 with power Bracer)
  • For Defence EP's g to the coal mine in Orebourgh(Geodude=1 Defence EP, Onix=1 Defence EP/5 with Power Belt)
  • For Sp.Attack EP go for Abra(1 Sp.Attack EP/5 with Power Item)/Ralts(1Sp.Attack EP/5 with Power ILens)
  • For Sp.Defence EP's go for Tentacool(1 Sp.Defence EP/5 With Power Item)/Tentacruel(2 Sp.Defence EP's/6 with Power Band)
  • For Speed EP's Fight the 2nd fisherman in the route 205(he has 6 Magikarps and 1 magikarp gives 1 Speed EP/5 with Power Anklet)

Pokerus and Vitamins

REMEMBER, if the pokemon is/was affected by Pokerus it earns the double EP (10 instead of 5 and if the Pokemon WAS affected by pokerus, it has a little face in the lower right of the summary screen).I forgot to tell that the Vitamins (Protein, Calcium, Iron etc) give 10 EP at a stat
  • HP UP; 10 HP EP’s
  • Protein; 10 Attack EP’s
  • Iron; 10 Defense EP’s
  • Calcium; 10 Sp.Attack EP’s
  • Zinc; 10 Sp.Defense EP’s
  • Carbos; 10 Speed EP’s

The Vitamins can be given to a pokemon only if the stat, the Vitamin gives the EP, has EP’s LOWER than 100, so the Vitamins must be given at the beginning of he EV Training! And don’t forget, the EV Training must be finished before you start the EXP Training.

The Site is this:Kureseria Forums. You can find me with the same name as here.
For Sp.Attack EP's I battle Budew and Gastly.They give the same EP's but they are easier to find and they don't know teleport which makes Ralts and Abra even harder to beat.
(04-01-2010 05:01 PM)Johan Wrote: [ -> ]Every pokemon has an EP limit at 510 and every stat at 255. If you want a stat hit max, the EP at this Stat must be at least 252. A well trained pokemon the most of the times it has 252 EP in 2 Stats and 6 in another(If Sweeper, the most of the times in HP).

Good guide Johan I'm sure it will be useful for many new players, though I'd like to add that maxing a stat isn't always the way to go. For example by maxing Metagross's speed and teaching it Agility as well you're wasting precious EPs that could have been invested in HP. Or maxing Vaporeon's HP stat pretty much means that its HPs won't be divisable by 16 and as a result you won't be receiving maximum leftovers recovery.

So, what I'm saying is that your EV spread should depend on your pokemon's stats rather than always be 252/252/4. For every 4 EPs you get 1 extra stat point, so you can make calculations yourself and find what suits you Smile
(04-01-2010 06:50 PM)Grovyle_Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Good guide Johan I'm sure it will be useful for many new players, though I'd like to add that maxing a stat isn't always the way to go. For example by maxing Metagross's speed and teaching it Agility as well you're wasting precious EPs that could have been invested in HP. Or maxing Vaporeon's HP stat pretty much means that its HPs won't be divisable by 16 and as a result you won't be receiving maximum leftovers recovery.

So, what I'm saying is that your EV spread should depend on your pokemon's stats rather than always be 252/252/4. For every 4 EPs you get 1 extra stat point, so you can make calculations yourself and find what suits you Smile

Thanks for the complement! And your advise is a very nice add for the guide! Thanks Grovyle_Fan!WinkBig Grin
Great start for this subforum; will surely help some people around!

I'd only suggest a few tweaks here and there: capitalization, formation of headings and larger paragraphs and use of either bold or emphasis where required as tomake things stand out.
If you think that somewhere needs correction, feel free to edit the post as you believe. Only good will do.Big Grin
If only I had the time, I would help with some textual reformations, alas, I don't though. Keep it up!
I hope now that I edited it looks a little better and it is easier to be understood!SmileBig Grin
Well, I'm not an expert but I think I now that much. I think that Power Items double the Effort Points a Pokemon receives after a battle and doesn't add a bonus of 4 EPs for that specific stat. So, if you battle a Tentacruel you will get 2 EPs SDef + 2 EPs SDef as a bonus due to the Power Band. As Arty2 said to me once, it works like an Agility for the stat you want to improve.
(27-01-2010 11:08 PM)herooftime Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I'm not an expert but I think I now that much. I think that Power Items double the Effort Points a Pokemon receives after a battle and doesn't add a bonus of 4 EPs for that specific stat. So, if you battle a Tentacruel you will get 2 EPs SDef + 2 EPs SDef as a bonus due to the Power Band. As Arty2 said to me once, it works like an Agility for the stat you want to improve.

That works with the Macho Brace not the Power Items and the Power Items add a bonus of 4 Ep's!
Example for Macho Brace:If you defeat an Unown you will get 2 Ep's at Attack and 2 Ep's at Sp.Attack.
Example for Power Items:If you defeat a Tentacruel with a Power Band you get 6 Ep's at Sp.Defense.
could u post this but for r/s/e
R/S/E use the exact same effort point system, what is described in this thread applies to them as well. The only real difference is the lack of the Power Items.
Your guide is the best I have ever seen... I understood (at last) what EV is...
Still I have some questions, if somebody can help me... plz do it...

Well, if I give my pokemon to daycare, is it like I EV train it? (I don't belive that it is, but I'd like to be sure)

If my pkmn evolve the EPs that it had (before evolution) are going to be lost and so I'll be able to "re-EV train" it?

If I get a Lv.100 pkmn (or lower Lv.) via GTS (or even a friend via DS-connection) , the EPs that it had, are going to be lost?

:arrow:Thanx a lot Smile

Johnis
1)no the pokemon doesn't get EPs so it isn't like ev training.
2)No the EPs are not going to lost.
3)No the EPs of the pokemon you got in trade they are not going to lost.
Good explaination of EV training. I would like to see other games that you can train you can pokemon in. ie. HeartGold and Rt. 42 and Surfing you only run into Goldeen and Seaking which is good for attack Ev's. Because I can understand that some people don't have D/P/P Series. I had heartgold before i got platinum.
And I only say this because of the fact that the new games provide different areas to train.
Reference URL's