Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: GEN IV - Caring for Berries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reporting what I've discovered...

I took the liberty of using THIS DATA to formulate my hypotheses. It's also the basis for all my own formulas.

Basics
We have the base Absorption Rates (from slowest to fastest): 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, 35. These are the rates used for the appropriate berries when planted without Mulch or with Stable or Gooey Mulch.

To sum it up...
~A berry once planted has a water level of 100.
~A berry once watered when tan/grey returns to 100.
~The absorption value is deducted hourly from the 100.
~Soil is tan at value "50" and below.
~Soil is grey at value "0" and below.

NOTE: Watering is only effective if the soil is Tan or Grey. Watering any sooner than tan makes no change in the water level.

Absorption Rates to Real Time
Rate 4 tans in 13 hours, then greys in 13.
Rate 6 tans in 9 hours, then greys in 8.
Rate 7 tans in 8 hours, then greys in 7.
Rate 8 tans in 7 hours, then greys in 6.
Rate 10 tans in 5 hours, then greys in 5.
Rate 15 tans in 4 hours, then greys in 3.
Rate 35 tans in 2 hours, then greys in 1.

Ideally, one will want to water the berry once it's hit a value at or below "50" in order to maximize the berry yield once ready to harvest.
(All above data is credit to the original researcher.)

Research Method
Knowing the basics, I was able to test where and how to apply the variable that "causes the soil to dry slower." At first I tried applying the opposite percentages that makes the berries grow faster into the absorption rate; the theory being that "Berries planted in Damp Mulch grow 125% their original rate; Soil drying 75% the original rate." I applied this theory's reciprocal to Growth Mulch (Berries 75%; Soil 125%) and calculated the tan/grey intervals.
Relatively soon, I noticed that the time to stage one in 06-Leppa matched the time the soil tanned. The same was account for 17-Bluk. Seeing that my intervals didn't match, I changed the percentages for the soil rate changes. I was able to determine the correct rate and applied it to all original rates.

Damp Mulch
~Absorption Rate is 50% of the original, rounding down.
Rate 4 becomes 2, tans in 25 hours, then greys in 25.
Rate 6 becomes 3, tans in 17 hours, then greys in 17.
Rate 7 becomes 3.5 (3), tans in 17 hours, then greys in 17.
Rate 8 becomes 4, tans in 13 hours, then greys in 12.
Rate 10 becomes 5, tans in 10 hours, then greys in 10.
Rate 15 becomes 7.5 (7), tans in 8 hours, then greys in 7.
Rate 35 becomes 17.5 (17), tans in 3 hours, then greys in 3.

Growth Mulch
~Absorption Rate is 150% of the original (rounding is negligible).
Rate 4 becomes 6, tans in 9 hours, then greys in 8.
Rate 6 becomes 9, tans in 6 hours, then greys in 6.
Rate 7 becomes 11, tans in 5 hours, then greys in 5.
Rate 8 becomes 12, tans in 5 hours, then greys in 4.
Rate 10 becomes 15, tans in 4 hours, then greys in 3.
Rate 15 becomes 23, tans in 3 hours, then greys in 2.
Rate 35 becomes 52, tans in 1 hour, then greys in 1.

With the data of the original researcher, my own data, and the berry data, I took the liberty of creating a CHART with all of this data.
The chart is in real time so any changes or additional info will automatically update.

As far as for the Stable and Gooey Mulches... They don't affect the absorption rate or the growth rate, they exist to allow 125% of original time that berries remain on the plant and a 125% amount of re-growth of a plant of all berries fall off before harvest respectively (Growth percentages, for all mulches from Bulbapedia.net). As a result, I did not investigate in full their effects.

Now I'm going to be frank here and say that, in my honest opinion, knowing the mechanics of the first two mulches, I see no reason to consider utilizing the Stable and Gooey Mulches (I use only Growth Mulch, myself). I say this because those mulches only affect berry time after the berries are ready for harvest. Now for whatever reason one finds oneself unable to access one's game and is afraid the berries will die off, use Stable. One may as well use that if using neither the Growth or Damp. Gooey Mulch is pretty much the same as Stable in that it prolongs the berries' lifespan--by way of reproduction of a plant once the initial one withers (when the berries are not harvested). Depending on the berry, that could take a couple more days to a few weeks.

Also make note that the Mulch effects cannot be stacked. Once one places the mulch, one can only plant a berry. Only until after berries have been either harvested or have completely withered away will one be able to place new mulch.

As far as Soil locations go... Serebii.net appears to have all of them covered.
In my own experience, however, I've come across 118 available patches. Either way, they will allow one to plant one of each berry at the very least.
Another reason why I say that it is unnecessary to utilize Stable and Gooey mulch is because, w/ Fly, Repels, and all other HMs, it is possible to reach all berry patches in under one hour. Planting them all takes longest out of that, watering and harvesting.
So even w/ an absorption value of 52, one will still have time to harvest from all patches if one were to plant berries of the fastest value w/ the additional boost from Growth Mulch (Razz, Bluk, Nanab, Wepear, and Pinap).

And that's pretty much all (if not more) one needs to know to successfully maximize one's berry harvest.
Hope it helps. :]

Questions? Comments?
Looks pretty professional and interesting. Good work.
thnx this has rlly helped me grow all my berries for the soon to come hoenn starters with any berry u want. this event will be provided through me personaly i will anounce it when i can do this

Inferno

wow!!! you really know your thing that was very helpfull, growing berries just became a lot easier for me Big Grin
Reference URL's