Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Why don't more people battle competitively?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,there this little topic that I'd like to discuss.

I was wondering,why don't more of our membersbattle competitively?We 've got quite a few active members that I think could become skilled battlers,but still they do not even try this.I guess everyone has their own reasons,but I'd like to "hear" some of them.

EVERYBODY DISCUSS

Please discuss.

Toungue

EDIT:Oh hell,my 666th post Toungue.
I've been going back and forth as to whether I should start competitive battling or not. "Should" is not quite the right verb, what I mean to say is that it's something I'd like to do, but I keep putting it off. The main reason why? Well, boredom. Which generally should never be a reason for not doing something, ever, but here it is!

Breeding Pokemon has never been a problem for me, going around towns to hatch eggs, strangely, is fun enough. EV training used to sound like a terribly time-consuming and boring act (it still does mind you, but not so much), but this is an excuse I can't use anymore since I got the Power Items. My biggest problem is that I make things extremely complicated in my head.

Getting into Competitive Battle will mean a newbie will have to read lots of stuff, guides and so on. It's not the reading part that puts me off, that would be stupid imo, but just that I'll have to memorize possible sets, of the Pokemon the opponent might possibly have. Which is stupid in itself, too. And it probably makes no sense, though I don't really think I can explain it otherwise to you guys.

tl;dr reading stuff about sets and teams and all that is boring, so I'll just steal Pokemon from others and make a team, mwahaha... k, not funny.

Well that was a good rant for me and rather self-motivating, ha. I'm gonna go find me some Pokemon to train now, because sometimes... you just have to get up and do something, even if you don't "get up" literally Toungue

edit: My post makes no sense! Big Grin
Some people does not have the time to ev training and IV breeding and Some other just no seeing the point of playing competitive but i thing the majority of the people who play pokemon do not know about pokemon.If you had asked me 3 months ago about the Competitie battle i would have said what is that.That shows us tha many people playing pokemon just for fun and to finish the pokedex and become champion.Actually the miss the best part of the game.

Another reason i thing is that they find boring to make a team

Y.G.1 My english isn't so goodBig Grin
Y.G.2 GeorgeSlayer I want a battle with because i heard you are very good
Y.G.3 I don't know how is ''YsteroGrafo'' in english Big Grin
Well i am trying to be competitive my rating in PO is 1050 i raise it to 1050 when it fell to 850.But i am trying hard to make a good team and be a little bit competitiveBig Grin
i have just gotten to an area were if i wanted to battle i could but i dont have a nintendo ds system to battle anyone with
I do battle competitively.

But i don't think many members log in the same time that i do. Toungue

Well I've made a team (Was about to, actually) around Salamence but now that it's Uber I've dropped it. :/

I have a team based on Prehistoric Pokémon or Pokémon that look like Dinosaurs, all EV trained with the right nature and stuff, i can battle someone with it if anyone challenges me. Toungue

Edit: Celesi, your post seriously makes no sense. -_-
Personally, I'd love to have Battles with all the members of the forum. still, the LegendaryPokemon forum has officially become a Spam Forum Toungue.
HoT touches an intersting matter: Why don't more people write anything that is not spam?
By the way, looks like we'll hold a branch of the UEPC tournament (Europeans only I'm afraid), so stay tuned.
We need some interesting topics so that people can post things other than spam,as well as maybe for once stricter moderation;since the members don't take care of the forum themselves,somebody should Wink.

But since this is off-topic (HoT or someone else could make a new topic so that we can discuss it there),I think everybody can take up competitive battling even without knowing someone who lives near their area or is online the same times as they are;that's what simulators' auto-match making features are for Wink.
In this post, I'm speaking just for myself. What I say may sound stupid to others, but for me, it stands. So...

Because I'm not attracted to it anymore. After Platinum came out, each Pokémon isn't as unique as it used to be in Gen III or even in the D/P days. For example, Alakazam, while its movepool was quite limited in Gen III compared to its current one, it was widely used because it was one of the very few Pokémon that could Trick effectively. It had something unique, Trick. Now, who cares about Alakazam when they can Trick with the sturdier Metagross or a Gengar whose typing is ten times better? Another example, if you wanted a powerful Outrage back then, you had Dragonite. But then came Garchomp, Salamence and pretty much any other Dragon and Dragonite disappeared from competitive play (at least before it got Extremespeed). More examples, in Gen III, people were looking for a good special sweeper that could get a Fire-type and a Dragon-type move for unresisted coverage. Now anything can learn Fire Blast + Dragon Pulse and why use Charizard or Arcanine when you've got freaking Heatran?

Well, I just don't like the current metagame. It's not fun anymore for me. I definitely prefer the Advance times when using a Qwilfish was awesome.
(22-07-2010 02:28 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I think everybody can take up competitive battling even without knowing someone who lives near their area or is online the same times as they are;that's what simulators' auto-match making features are for ;).

I have to agree on this. There are far more sources nowadays compared to 3rd Gen, more simulators and online tournaments are held far more often.
About the complexity, well, it discourages some people but it the metagame itself isn't as complicated/boring as you may think. By playing regularly you'll find yourself remembering common sets(eg after seeing flygon for a few tmes you'll realise it's probably scarfed and will spam U-Turn, vaporeon will either start Wishing/spreading status) without needing to memorise anything. Same goes with specific stats, you'll soon learn that a ScarfedStarmie (usually) outspeeds a ScarfedInfernape or that Jolteon/Aerodactyl share the same speed... And believe me, it won't take too long :)

(22-07-2010 02:33 PM)Ninjomewtwo Wrote: [ -> ]Because I'm not attracted to it anymore. After Platinum came out, each Pokémon isn't as unique as it used to be in Gen III or even in the D/P days.

Although I wasn't really competitive back in 3rd Gen, I think I understand... Sceptile for example is outclassed by a bunch of sweepers, Heracross is no longer the beast it used to be.
At least, the metagame seems more balanced now, giving more pokemon a chance to shine. Banning Salamence and Garchomp means three pokemon carry Outrage now and each can be used in a different way, Dragonite no longer being an inferior Mence. Even shaymin could become unique, as the special offensive grass type the metagame lacks. At least I hope so...

PS: Sorry if I'm being boring/repetitive etc :P
^ Sceptile is outclassed by many ?

Im sorry man, but Sceptile is probably the best sweeper of the UU, it can even be the beast of OU (i only use him in OU anyway), I've swept through whole teams with it before.

Anyway, what i don't like about competitive is how everyone uses the same sets, like, i've battled and seen more than 5 Vaporeons that have Wish, Protect, Surf and Toxic, its just so repetitive.

And just as Grovyle_Fan said, you'll memorize each set for each Pokémon in no time, like, if you see a Kingdra you'll automatically predict it's going to use Dragon Dance + Outrage spam, and same goes for Dragonite.
(coughSMOGONsetsCOUGH)
(22-07-2010 03:11 PM)Grovyle_Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Although I wasn't really competitive back in 3rd Gen, I think I understand... Sceptile for example is outclassed by a bunch of sweepers, Heracross is no longer the beast it used to be.

That's not exactly what I mean, I don't really care about certain Pokémon becoming better/worse. Imagine you needed a special sweeper back then. Some common Pokémon were Gengar, Alakazam, Sceptile and Houndoom. All of them had something "unique", in this case Destiny Bond and Explosion for Gengar, Trick for Alakazam, Leaf Blade for Sceptile and STAB Pursuit for Houndoom. You could see what you needed most and pick accordingly. Now, with most Pokémon of the same role/type/etc. learning the same moves (like how most Fire-types can use Dragon Pulse), your only criteria for picking one are stats and typing, in which case Heatran wins, leaving all Fire-types barring Infernape (whose role is completely different) out of OU.

Anyway, I can't say that the metagame is bad, it's just that I don't like it. I prefer playing a fun battle with a friend once in a while rather than keep laddering on Smogon for hours.
I get it, seems like more pokemon don't always equal to more variety. And yes, move tutors spreading Trick/Outrage/Superpower possibly made it worse....

(22-07-2010 09:09 PM)sweet-devil Wrote: [ -> ]^ Sceptile is outclassed by many ?

Im sorry man, but Sceptile is probably the best sweeper of the UU, it can even be the beast of OU (i only use him in OU anyway), I've swept through whole teams with it before.

Unfortunately, Sceptile isn't as great as it used to be. In a metagame full of steel types(that not only resist its STAB but also promote the use of fire moves) and strong attacks coming from everywhere, Sceptile seems too fragile. Spamming Leaf Storm is good but constant switching means SR etc damage, 85 base attack isn't probably worth the SD(+Intimidate, revenge killers everywhere...)
UU is another story as you said, so many rock/ground/water types are welcomed by Sceptile
For me it doesn't matter if there are 10 dragons more ubers than dragonite i will still used it cos it reminds me old times...(Btw i think they destroeyed the dragonite when they make dratini/dragonair appear everywhere even in sinnoh and hoenn
Reference URL's