Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Surprise-led team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(heh heh look at the Post Icon lol)

Ahem, I say, AHEM! I've always been into surprises and I like applying my skills at Pokemon as well. So, Ladies and Gentlemen, here comes my topic!..

...my Surprise-led team!

I've thought of quite a good surprise (or at least I think so). And this is the well-known Tyranitar! Anyone would expect a powerhouse, a Pokemon which aims to sent foes flying... Am I wrong? Here's where the "Surprise Factor" kicks in: This is going to be a different Tyranitar!

Tyranitar @Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/ Impish
EVs: 252 HP - 252 Def - 4 Atk
Thunder Wave
Stealth Rock
Pursuit/ Taunt
Earthquake/ Stone Edge

It's a lead. So from the moment it appears, a Sandstorm will start (50% increase in Rock type's the Special Defense). A foe who fears will most likely switch out. SO there are 3 options for you to do: Pursuit against a fleeing opponent, Taunt against the likes of Blissey, Stealth Rock or -my personal favourite- Thunder Wave.

Let's think about TW. The next Pokemon will be paralyzed, its speed should be lower than Tyranitar's, and now you'll be able: 1. To use Stealth Rock 2. To attack without worrying about your low speed stat. I'd prefer the fisrt option. If you predict a switch, either use TW, Pursuit or Taunt.

Sandstorm can be combined with other Rock, Steel and Ground Types. Examples:

1. Shuckle: 50% raise in its Sp. Defense, Great defensive Pokemon in overall and Annoyer. (Also, I think I'll be using Wrap, Encore, Protect/ Rest, Toxic/ Rest)
2. Marowak: Powerhouse. Low speed stat means nothing thanks to Thunder Wave. End of (foe's) story.
3. Gliscor: Avoids Earthquake and has an amazing movepool. Knock off, Roost, EQ, Ice Punch
4. Skarmory: Spikes can add a great threat combined with Roar.

Then, I think about using a Pokemon with Leech seed which can also knock out Ground Pokemon which are resistant to Thunder Wave. Venusaur fits the bill, I think...

Opinions!
I would suggest giving this thing a Sash instead of Leftovers, so that it can still do its job against Machamp and Metagross, 2 of the most common leads in the game.Still, you have a 50% chance of surviving Machamp due to the confusion. Swampert and Hippowdon are troublesome too, as they are immune to TW, though they're slow and will allow you to get your rocks up.In case you're afraid of Infernape, Chople Berry is an option.
Close Combat from a Naive 64 Att /252 SpA / 192 Spe (Standard Lead Ape) vs Adamant Tyranitar 252 Hp/ 0 Def holding a Chople does: 65.3% - 77.2%. You'll survive for sure, even factoring in a critical hit Fake Out (7.4% - 8.9%).

If you want to cover both ape and metagross+machamp, use Chople and have Dusknoir in your team.Moreover, be aware of the U-turn leads (mainly Jirachi, if it doesn't attempt to hax you ), which will throw a Ground type on you like 90% of the time,like Flygon and CursePert.
Tyranitar fits many roles, but not Lead.

There are much better leads out there, Hippowdon if you desperately need Sandstorm.

Also, Sandstorm team doesn't really HAVE to have all 6 Pokemon who don't get damaged by Sandstorm, because if you do get 6 Rock/Steel/Ground or whatever types, Lucario will just come in, resist STAB moves [except for ground moves], get a Swords Dance and then rape away with Close Combat.

Something like Gengar will be helpful, resisting Ground AND Fighting, with a good movepool and interesting stats, i think it's perfect on a Sandstorm team.

Gengar @ Leftovers / Black Sludge [life orb can be used, but leftovers is better]
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Sounds similar ? Despite how famous this set is, it's always effective, taking down Blissey is something most special sweepers can't do. Focus Blast gets weakened Blissey too, and can take out Tyranitar, Heatran and Lucario who are common switch-ins to Gengar.

Quote:Chople Berry is an option.

Chople Berry is not an option, even with that, Tyranitar takes a heavy 89.6% - 105.9% from 252 Atk neutral-nature Close Combar from Infernape.
Thank you both guys! I also thought of adding a Togekiss. It can drive enemies crazy with Air Slash and it's generally decent.
Adamant 252 ATK Ape VS Chople Ttar

62.4% - 73.3%

But nobody will use this ape foe lead..
49%-58%+ the dmg of the standard one CC..

you forgot to change the Ev'z or the item.....

Quote:Tyranitar fits many roles, but not Lead.

One of the best team I have ever seen and it had been unbeatable in the last year's World Cup,reach top 20 of smogon OU ladder had Ttar lead...

Smogon doesn't have many sets(Better for the experienced trainers),this doesn't mean that a pokemon doesn't fit in a specific position....

Now Let's see your Ttar option...

It faces problems with:

Swampert
Metagross <3
Hippowdon
Aerodactyl
Azelf (will set up rocks and then explode if you have the Pursuit..)
Infernape
GeorgeSlayer's Tran (lol)
Weavile (bah,you will kill it,but I don't think you will set up rocks..)
Machamp
Jirachi (All versions-Being scarfed with this moveset isn't the best)
Roserade (zzz,Tspikes)
Pikachu (Don't ask why,Pikachu rulez mustaine2)

12 pokemons...that is a big number :O

Let's try to face them:

[Image: SwampertNormalSprite.gif]:Setting up rocks,if you have the taunt version you taunt him for the roar?Bah....Set up both rocks and then predict attack and switch?
Difficult thing....SR 1st round,2nd round take a hit to scout him for roar....
(Just PROBLEM)

[Image: MetagrossNormalSprite.gif]:If it is the standard edition both SR then run(predict MM or IH)-If it is the unique Anti-Lead version <3 (Not in smogon yeah!),bb Ttar...

[Image: 450.png]:Set up rocks run-I have seen also a very rare Anti-Lead option...
This will be a disaster for Ttar....

[Image: AerodactylShinySprite.gif]:It will taunt 1st round...so you SE,then it set up rocks you SE it again?!?!?
Run from the first round...

[Image: POKEMON-pokedollAZELF-0.jpg]:Like Aero in the 1st round Taunt,if it don't,it will SR,Pursuit it until it dies!DIE!

[Image: infernape-194084.jpg?1236979062]:If you have EQ(84% - 99%)Maybe sandstorm will kill it....it will fake out 1st round so you break sash with the sandstorm if it has one...
Chople berry needed...

[Image: 485.png]:GeorgeSlayer switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ♂).:Ψοφος....

My reaction:
JuanDeLolo: Re ti tran einai auto;
GeorgeSlayer: (Hidden)Tran re

The first purpose of a lead is to win GS leads so be careful next time...xD

[Image: weavile.png]:It will fake out,(Noob option in this case),Is is easy thing..
You SR it will use counter then SE knockout...
Sandstorm-down sash...

Don't make SE first round!
Smogon says:
Quote:
Low Kick can be used over Counter if you want to beat Heatran and Tyranitar leads

Chople Version: 41.6% - 49% (recommended)
Lefties Version: 83.2% - 98%

[Image: MachampNormalSprite.gif]:Don't ever try to face it...
Chople no chople...You mustn't based on luck!!

Run to a teamate...

119.8% - 142.6% Lefties
59.9% - 71.3% Chople

[Image: ref_jirachi.gif]:SWITCHHHHH!
scarf will be a disaster for this set!
It is preferable to scout you than to make Ttar useless

[Image: Roserade.png]:Sleep if you are lucky it will miss...taunt it...
2 lanes TSpikes is horrible....
But luck isn't the best option...switch to a teamate or have sth poison which can absorb the spikes is good..

And Last but not least:
[Image: PikachuNormalSprite.gif]:It will Iron tail in your face!Are u laughing?

LOOK THE DAMAGE!
252 atk/hasty:42.6% - 50.5%

Now be quiet....

Conclusion:
I hope I'll help you and I am so happy that there are trainers in LP who try to improve their skills and make new sets...
Pretty good try Smile
But as far as I'm concerned this set will fit better to a support pokemon and not for a lead...

Rating:6,5/10
Wow... I'll go for another Pokemon o.O

Infernape: Stealth Rock, U-Turn, Close Combat, Flare Blitz

But you can always start brainstorming ;P
Actually LeadApe never uses Flare Blitz cause it'll cancel the Focus Sash..

It faces problems with:

Quote:Swampert
Metagross <3
Hippowdon
Aerodactyl
Azelf (will set up rocks and then explode if you have the Pursuit..)
Infernape
GeorgeSlayer's Tran (lol)
Weavile (bah,you will kill it,but I don't think you will set up rocks..)
Machamp
Jirachi (All versions-Being scarfed with this moveset isn't the best)
Roserade (zzz,Tspikes)

Those are like the most overused leads.. <.<

And btw, did you count the damage on Pikachu WITH the Light Ball ? Cause it has amazing attack with that..

Quote:Smogon doesn't have many sets(Better for the experienced trainers),this doesn't mean that a pokemon doesn't fit in a specific position....

I personally used Tyranitar lead for a while, it sucked. It's slow, and loses to most common leads, Swampert has dual super-effective STAB moves against it, Machamp raises the middle finger, Jirachi flinches it to death with Iron Head, Roserade will either sleep powder or Leaf Storm, Hippowdon can be handled with Taunt and a switch, but often it will lose, Metagross laughs, if Weavile has Low Kick Tyranitar will be gone, Aerodactyl will probably be down since Earthquake won't do much damage if Tyranitar is bulky, and the only lead that will lose to it is probably Azelf, but it'll probably set up Rocks and U-Turn to an appropriate counter. [Also, Pikachu will Iron Tail it if it's holding Light Ball. Toungue]

If Smogon doesn't have a set, it doesn't mean the set is bad. But smogon doesn't have a Tyranitar lead set for a reason, and that's because it IS bad.

IMO, Uxie does what Tyranitar does but better. It can set up SR, can Thunder Wave, but it's not a powerhouse though.
nice team..xD i nave nothing to add i just posted cause a got an email that my account would be deleted if i made no posts.so noone delete this.
LOL! And I wished you came up with a suggestion -_-
(09-09-2010 01:43 PM)odisseas Wrote: [ -> ]nice team..xD i nave nothing to add i just posted cause a got an email that my account would be deleted if i made no posts.so noone delete this.

lol odisseas is back in town with an off-topic post xD
Reference URL's