Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: The psychological factor in competitive battling and more.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, since it refers to much more than solely competitive battling.)

Hello everyone, I'm back with a thread I've wanted to make since a lot of months ago but have always postponed for various reasons. I'm going to waste your time, but I hope there will be some discussion beneficial for everybody. If you're going to spam this thread, please don't even bother reading it. I'm not so sure everything at all will make sense, because I'll try to talk about so many different things about psychology, associated with but not limited to Pokemon.

First of all, I 'd like to share a personal experience, something I realized yesterday out of the blue. I have for a long time wondered why I suck so much at battling, despite some early success. And it seems that I have found an answer after all this time. It was because of this success, coupled with my "perfectionism" and mostly my atychiphobia.

What I'm trying to say is I've always wanted to be perfect. Or to be more precise, I've unfortunately cared more about looking perfect. That's why I've preferred having a good W/L record on my Trainer Card to having lots of exciting battles, even if I have to lose. That's why I haven't taken up all the challenges I could have all these years playing Pokemon (or doing everything else in my life for this matter). This includes not battling regularly and not taking part in as many tournaments as I "should" have, all because of the stupid fear of losing and trying to live on the backs of my old wins. I could be thought by many as a good player, without actually being any better than average (or even worse than this at times).

I now acknowledge this as my mistake, and hope I'll be able to make myself a better player and person by fixing this in the near future.

Moving on, I'd like to talk about the psychological factor in battle. What predominantly influences a person's playing "level" (as in one's skill exhibited in a particular battle), is stress. Your all know what stress is, and it is in Pokemon battling generally caused by one of two things.

First, by the feeling of importance of a specific match. Speaking again of personal experience, my worst displays have been in the most important matches of my "career". I can explain it in two different ways. Either because I suck, or because of stress. But I feel it should be credited to both factors. When playing in important matches, especially on wi-fi (which generally makes me more anxious compared to simulator matches), I become very hesitant, can't take risks and constantly have second thoughts about everything. This can't be good, because of three (or more reasons). One, you can't follow your plan and execute your strategy. Two, you can't take risks, and by not taking risks you usually can't fix early mistakes and get back to controlling the flow of the match. And three, you can't predict well, or you end up overpredicting.

As mentioned before, stress in battles is also caused because of another reason. That's not being in control of the match. When the opponent seems to be outplaying you every turn, you begin to think you've got no luck in the match and end up being predicted and falling in traps over and over. (Think of it like playing versus Barcelona's passing game Toungue) This is however not as common, and almost exclusively happens ofter when playing against top level opponents, especially when the 're using teams which they know inside out.
Last but not least, I'd like everyone's comments on intuition, which according to wikipedia is the "thoughts and preferences that come to mind quickly and without much reflection". Doe anyone tend to follow these thoughts when battling? I've "felt" at times that I should make a move, but due to reasons outlined above didn't make it and often paid for this, while at other times I've followed my intuition and been rewarded by netting free kills etc.

To conclude, I'd like to repeat some major facts. Of course, everything in this post is subjective and criticism is highly encouraged, as long as it's productive.
1) The fear of failure limits yourself; in order to push yourself to your true limits, you have to fight this fear. This applies not only to games, but also to life. (Thanks to Blue for pointing out to me a long time ago that life's like a video game in a sense Toungue)
2) When battling competitively, your emotional state is a huge deal. Only play matches which you feel winning is important when you are in a good mood and can concentrate yourself on battling.
3) Get out and battle; humanity has evolved due to trial and error, do the same.

Well that's all, I apologize to any of you who has taken the time to read the whole thing. I hope some discussion can be sparked.

PS.Now you all know why I suck. Toungue
PS2.Posted in english, didn't want to keep this only for Greeks.
Well, I hope that my opinion will help you...your post sparked my reaction anyway Toungue
The factor you should consider in battle is fun. Nothing more and nothing less. If you don't have fun while battling then you should maybe give it a thought about why not. Or don't battle at all. Nevertheless in the past we used to have battles for the sake of it and to prove to others that we were stronger than them on one side but MOSTLY because battling was fun. I think everyone definitely needs to reconsider about having fun in battles. Competitive battling isn't all there is in Pokémon anyway. We all started from something else than that. You remember the in-game part don't you? You do recall that every Pokémon you had in R/S had no good natures and IVs don't you? I for one had more fun playing without natures and all that stuff going in my head. And let's face it, breeding is boring, no matter how many better Pokémon you get with it. The thing is, the competition is what started the whole stats thing with Pokémon, in order to defeat others nonetheless. If there is such a strong competition and you wanna have fun by beating others then surely do it, but trying to excel at everything when there is no real competition anywhere...well, I find it redundant. In any case it all goes back to the fun factor.
Games aren't meant to be stressful in any case. Everyone wants to win more or less, winning is nice. It's almost the reason we battle. Almost though. There are much more things to discover. It's all about the feelings of a battle, the thoughts, the excitement. Well that's my opinion anyway.
Long story short, there is no need to be nervous when battling. If you are, think what is causing this stress and throw it away. Have fun, that's all there ever was. There's no point playing a game if you're not having fun. Even if you won't get better, maybe it doesn't matter anyway. If you have fun that's what it counts.
Your point is of-course valid, but some competition ( without overdoing it ) is not too bad, it's actually another motivation to play. At least it was what drew me back to Pokemon 2,5 years ago and one of the main reasons that I still spend time on Pokemon (although the main reason I'm still around is definitely the community). I know I (and a lot of other people) sometimes take games too serious, and I agree this is bad. But on the other hand, trying to get the best you can and learning to admit defeat in a game, can help you do the same in everything else in life, doesn't it?In any case though, "metron ariston".

PS.I generally tend to skip the boring breeding part. By this however I do not endorse hacking (which I did for a sort period of time and have since gotten over), only violating NM2's "each one with their own Pokemon" philosophy. Toungue
I'm going to agree with the boring breeding part but the thing I say is that if I'm not into the mood of breeding at least one good Pokémon, I certainly don't deserve it...Toungue I don't want hacked stuff in my games (well at least I try not to have any). That philosophy which you mentioned is also a part of me, now if only I could find more time to make my own Pokés xD
As for the subject we're talking about, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy competition but I also believe in that phrase you wrote last, "metron ariston". I like being pushed to my limits only when I enjoy being pushed (when I'm relaxed for example) and only if I have nothing to lose, which I think is always the case in battles and which relaxes me. I'm just saying that if that pressure is getting into you for whatever reasons then that's no good.

P.S. For the record I don't believe you're a bad player, maybe just a stressed one but definitely not a bad one. ;P
Too many things to read :S

I'll talk by my personal experience and I will express my opinion about the subject...
First of all,Pokemon=Game both competitive and ingame....so have fun!
I agree that breeding ruins the fun,thats why I have never breed more than 3 pokemon Toungue

Secondly,when you battle competitively you MUST be cool and take it easy...
It isnt something that will judge something in your life Toungue!Why so serious?(^^)

In important matches as I remember myself I was playing after the beach and I havent anything else that time on my mind...
So you can concentrate and win,be friendly with your opponent helps too!

Thidly,ok I agree with your opinion in the most parts of your post(especially in the part that you say "I fail,I am Noob,I suck"),
but about the stress when the opponent got the advantage in an important battle,I disagree....

I have played many important games competitively and I was stressed only in one,In the trials tour...the only tour that i have participated with a team(And you ware one of the members of the team Toungue)
I was stressed because if I had lost the battle,I would have been responsible about the d/q of all the team..
And when the opponent had the control of the match i was rly too stressed...but what I did was to calm down and play in the last minute and it did work!I made a comeback and won!

I think that the more thing I write are off-topic dunno why Toungue
But...w/e....In conclusion:
Be cool in all the situation,in all the matches...important or not....
That's the way to win and have fun at the same time!
Dont underestimate anyone and anything(except GS)...
About Ingame,HAVE FUN!Really enjoy it!Breeding ruins the fun,but for the guys that like Wi-Fi competitive it is important ^^

(I'm not good when explaning about psychological issues but I tried Toungue)

p.s1.Hack Sux!Hack is for lossers who can't seperate WIN from FUN...

p.s2.GS must be more confident and stop searching wiki about idiotic phobias,I had said that to him about 100 times or so....

p.s3.Stress is also one part of the character of someone...I am generally not so stressful,but others are....

Ok My post fails Big Grin,but it takes me enough time to think about it so I dont delete it...Enjoy!!!!!!!!
This may be considered to be a SPAM post, but bump anyway because I think this topic can house some much needed discussion outside the spam corner.
(09-03-2011 09:08 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]

Well , i agree with everything on this post , really. and almost everything applies for me apart from the fact that i tend to get over my atychiphobia faster. i think it would be safe to say , it pretty much applies for everyone , really. Up till now , i've been using the excuse that i'm still a newbie tbch......Toungue But , that will obviously change in a few days. i mean i'll still be quite newer than you for example but i'll have less and less excuses for my losses every day. But anyway , i usually ignore my atychiphobia and focus on trying to improve usually. I still get the stress and everything though , whatever you wrote. no exceptions. Also , about the overpredicting , i do that much to often Confused

(09-03-2011 09:53 PM)Adk Wrote: [ -> ]

when reading those first two lines i was about to answer "yeah , that's what i used as one of my excuses to loosing so often". Now after reading the whole thing.......welll , i guess.......you're right really. actually , i believe that's why we all started CB in the first place. then again , the fear of looking lame gets in the way. i mean , tbh , i don't care if i look better than anyone. i don't really like too much attention anyway. what i'm afraid of , is looking stupid. i mean , if i keep loosing.....you know what i mean Undecided Bu then again i guess , as long as you're having fun , why even care about other peoples opinions? Well anyway about the tour stuff........when it comes to big ones , i tend to get a little anxious. but i think that sort of adds to the excitement , right? Smile

(10-03-2011 08:25 PM)JuanDeLolo Wrote: [ -> ]
I agree with everything. (well , almost , so as not to offend GS..... ) That's pretty much all i have to say about this post however , that doesn't change the fact that i get stressed easily......Confused but anyway , whatever

some smileys were removed because it wouldn't let me post.
(15-06-2012 09:28 AM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]This may be considered to be a SPAM post, but bump anyway because I think this topic can house some much needed discussion outside the spam corner.

Yeah , nice thread btw. we needed one like this Smile
Reference URL's