Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Help improving my team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, people! I am in a tourney and I would like some help improving my team. Oh, some of its rules are: everyone must use at least two flying pokemon and no one is allowed to change the weather.

Magnezone
Modest@Air Balloon
Magnet Pull
252 HP, 6 Def, 252 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam

Many people use Forretress, Ferrothorn and Scizor, so Magnezone is there to trap them with its ability and defeat them with a fire type Hidden Power. I don´t know which item I should use, so I´ve chosen Air Balloon... I don´t know much about other good moves for it, but Thunderbolt is strong and has STAB, Charge Beam may increase its attack power (special attack, whatever...) and Signal Beam... well, just an attack with a different type.

Starmie
Timid@Life Orb
Natural Cure
6 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Powerful, fast and a good Rapid Spinner. I think I should teach it Recover, but I don´t know which move should be replaced... Without Ice Beam, it can´t OHKO dragons, without Thunderbolt, it is not threatening to other water pokemon.

Gliscor
Impish@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SDef
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

It is a good physical wall, has good resistances, a nice ability, which heals it and protects it against status ailments, but I wish it could have Poison Heal and learn Stealth Rock at the same time...

Chandelure
Modest@Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
6 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Psychic

It is the best spin blocker in my opinion (what is pointless to say here, since I have no entry hazards). Forretress, Ferrothorn and Scizor can do nothing against it and it can also surprise Starmies whose trainers are not expecting Choice Scarf. Psychic is there in order to counter fighting pokemon. Hidden Power Fighting is mainly to be able to attack Air Balloon Heatran.

Snorlax
Impish@Leftovers
Thick Fat
252 HP, 6 Def, 252 SDef
- Curse
- Rest
- Return
- Crunch

A sturdy special wall. I used to use a Blissey, but I needed something more offensive, so I´ve chosen Snorlax. This moveset doesn´t need much explanation. Curse powers up its attack and defense (that is why I chose to invest EVs only in HP and SDef), Rest is for recovering HP, Return is the main attack and Crunch is for ghosts.

Jumpluff
Timid@Focus Sash
Chlorophyll
? Def, ? SDef, 252 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Giga Drain

My favorite pokemon, which can be really annoying... although it is not as effective as it was in the previous generation. Its strategy is simply to put some pokemon to sleep and then have some fun with Substitute and Leech Seed. Giga Drain´s power is almost the same than Energy Ball´s, but it recovers HP, so... Ah, and Focus Sash is for allowing Jumpluff to put faster foes to sleep, since its defences are not good after all. It works nicely with Stealth Rock, since it causes lots of switches...

Well, this team was working ok... but I really need something with Stealth Rock (as you may have noticed), a better moveset to Magnezone (and, maybe, to Chandelure too) and to replace one of Starmie´s moves with Recover... Can you help me out?
Hmm, nice team and here's what I suggest to improve it.

About Magnezone I have no idea since I don't use it at all. But I like the magnet trap stuff concept you are going to use. Maybe you shouldn't use both thunderbolt and charge beam (the 2nd one also isn't completely reliable), but I don't know what other efficent moves it can use.

Continuing to Starmie, I see that you are going to use it offensively. Personally, I prefer more defensive EVs (252life instead of spattk) and item but this depends on you. Anyway, I would replace thunderbolt with recover in this set since ice beam is good against ground/dragon/flying/grass, compared to water/flying coverage electricity offers.

Chandelure seems pretty much ok, the only you could change is flamethrower with fire blast (30% more power, -15% accuracy) but itisn't neccesary taking into account its terrific spattk. Also check exactly how many EVs it needs in speed in order to outspeed common enemies but not waste any. Try and see in PO, I think you can save around 20-30 EVs and invest em in hp/def/spdef (not making huge difference but it may help).

As for the Stealth Rock, you could either choose to play without it (not very effective, I think) or add it to Glicsor, sacrificing its ability. Orelse, you have to change your team. Maybe add skarmory instead of the bat? Its also nice with chandelure's ability, you can switch in to absorb heat if you suspect the enemy is going to use a deadly fire attack.

And of course I don't know much about Jumpluff, only thing I have to say is that sleeppowder misses (25% of the times) and you can't be sure whether it will work or not. Good thing it has high speed and it may have a 2nd chance to sleep the opponent. I guess you know better since it's your favorite.
I would suggest mostly two changes :

Consider remaking a Gliscor with exactly the same NAture, EVs,Ability but instead of Taunt, try Baton Pass.This way, if Gliscor finds itself versus an Ice or Water-type (cursed Cloysters and Lapras) it could pass on a swords dance to Snorlax.This way, Curse-ing once will have SNorlax with +150% attack, meaning only best walls will survive potential 1HKO (barring Rock or Steel types).

Also, consider replacing Jumpluff with Whimsicott.This Gen V pokemon has the great ability Prankster, which will cause Leech Seed or Sleep Powder to be used in the beginning of your turn, surpassing even the fastest sweepers (excluding the case when they use priority moves/Protect).This way , you will not have to use your Focus Sash on your "saboteur", and you will also ensure a well-timed Substitute.Besides, Whimsicott has better Defense and Speed stats, which allows you to invest more on HP/SDef.Adding a Tailwind, which can allow you to change the Choice Band on Chandelure, expanding its sweeping capabilities.
ALso, as DbZero suggested, try using Stun Spore instead of Sleep Powder.It is much more accurate and it cannot be removed except with special ways (Berry,Refresh etc) while it provides a permanent -50% Speed "gift" to you opponent.
I do understand Jumpluff is your favourite so, if you believe it just HAS to be in your team, then it is fine.I just thought that you might like WHimsicott the same, as the two have similar looks.
The decision is yours. ^^
Well I just wanted to say one thing about Gliscor, who is one of my favourites and I constantly use him. Replace Taunt with Protect. Using Protect not only you activate Toxic Orb for free, but you can aslo use it to gain the little extra health you need to survive a strong hit. Also on the EVs, take away EVs from SpDef and Def and add 76 to Speed. That way you outspedd some important stuff. One more thing: Is there Item Clause? If not, why don't you put Leftovers on Jumpluff? Might help getting more substitutes.
Hello there!

First of all,i'll suggest you Substitute(better IMO) or Thunder Wave(status) over Signal beam on Zone.
2 pokemon of your opponent ll be flying too,so signal beam will be pretty much useless

Let Starmie at it is....i prefer when i play offensive starmie to play w/o rapid spin and take recover instead...

If you want so much recover go for it over Tbolt coz many may go for a ground poke in their team to predict your tbolts and generally have a better coverage in all type of moves so you will need ice beam moar..

Gliscor,DO NOT CHANGE ITS ABILITY.
Protect(<3) or sub over Taunt Imo.
Also you can add some ev'z or speed if you want(76),but if you need that team for a WI-FI tour and you are bored for that just change the 4 ev'z from sp.def and give them to speed.

Snorlax and chal are ok.

Last Jumpluff...ok you love it,BUT vs 2 flying pokez + sr and it's not so viable in that gen + it'll get countered from the most teams.
Maybe Skarmory is a good solution coz it got SR too,and you need SR with 2 flying opponents in the other team.
But you will see what will you need......

Hope i helped ya.
Thanks, everybody! I had no time to come here lately, because of job/university/exams/busy life, but thanks for helping me out!

Well, about my Starmie... I wanted to use Recover because, after many tests, I figured out that it will not last much long without it thanks to Stealth Rock and its own Life Orb.

@Argente844 I will try Whimsicott in another team... in this one, I must use two flying pokemon Toungue But I´ll try the idea of having Baton Pass at Gliscor, sounds really good!

@Vezok78 Using Focus Sash on Jumpluff could save me in some tough situations - like when facing a Dragonite, which could Dragon Dance some times. Jumpluff could survive its Outrage and use a pretty Sleep Powder attack on it.

I know Sleep Powder´s accuracy is not perfect, but that´s something it has that Whimsicott doesn´t, a usable sleep-inducing move (Whimsicott´s Grasswhistle misses too much Toungue)

I will test your suggestions... Hum... maybe if I replace Magnezone with a Probopass... it also has Magnet Pull, but can use Stealth Rock...
Reference URL's