Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Weekly Pokemon Thread: Carracosta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are many turtle-like pokemon until this generation.Torkoal, Blastoise, Torterra etc.This week we will be discussing about the most recently introduced one of them: Carracosta.A first sight upon this guys makes a kind of bad first impression.Water/Rock typing ? Ewww.Electric, Fight, Grass, Ground , and one of the Water-types that get normal damage from Steel attacks.Is Carracosta that bad? HELL NO! First of all, we have two purely defensive abilities : Solid Rock gives a bitter surprise to would-be sweepers, while Sturdy ensures that you survive at least one turn.Also, its 133 base Defense helps against its Fight weakness (excluding Focus Blast/Vaccum Wave/Aura Sphere) and its good attack makes "bulky sweeping" a dream that can come true.However, for all its power, it is horribly difficult to get a female one!Well , at least for me it was.Let's have a closer look at what it can do.

Type: Water/Rock
Abilities: Sturdy, Solid Rock, Swift Swim(Hidden)

Base Stats:
HP: 74
Attack: 108
Defense: 133
Sp.Attack: 83
Sp.Defense: 65
Speed: 32

Egg Moves:
Water Pulse
Knock Off
Rock Throw
Slam
Iron Defense
Flail
Whirlpool
Body Slam
Bide

Interesting TMs/HMs:
  1. Tm13 Ice Beam
  2. Tm14 Blizzard
  3. Tm26 Earthquake
  4. Tm28 Dig
  5. Tm37 Sandstorm
  6. Tm55 Scald
  7. Tm69 Rock Polish
  8. Tm78 Bulldoze
  9. HM05 Waterfall
  10. HM06 Dive

So, let's see what everyone of you can say about this turtle! There surely many ways to use it, so I am really expecting to see interesting sets.
[Image: 55f8adc23c8f79daf961a741b58cd2ea.png]
Well.....Actually i'll have to agree with smogon here.Out of all the possible sets i prefer this one.......

Adamant @ White herb
Ability: Solid rock
4 hp/252 atk/252 speed

~ Shell Smash
~ Waterfall / Aqua Jet
~ Stone Edge / Rock Slide
~ Earthquake
Carracosta is indeed an interesting pokemon. The shell smash set is trully what has the most potential with Carracosta, because as a bulky water it is outclassed by others. Also you have to remember what distinguishes from faster and stronger water types like Gyarados: it's defence stat. If you're trying to make it a fast sweeper I'd say pick something else. That's why for the shell smash set I think a more defensive alternate could be used, as it's speed stat is total junk anyway:

Smashed Turtle

Carracosta @White Herb
Solid Rock/Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
Shell Smash
Earthquake
Aqua jet[You're lacking speed EVs so this will help]/Waterfall[Stronger, but no priority]
Stone Miss[Hax can really wreck you here]/Rock Slide[Only for the extra accuracy, you're not going to be flinching anyone at your speed]

However a more bulky Carracosta could defenitely be used. The first option would be classical stall with Toxic or, second option, an offensive and bulky sweeper, potential a Trick Room sweeper.

Poisonus Fiery Turtle

Carracosta @Leftovers
Solid Rock
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef {You can play a bit with the Def-SpDef EVs to match your needs}
Toxic
Protect
Scald
Rest

Nice and simple. Two statuses to choose from, protect to stall your enemy and rest as it is the only way to heal.

Slow and Cursed

Carracosta @Leftovers
Solid Rock
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Waterfall/Aqua Jet
Curse
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Earthquake/Toxic/Swagger

You use curse to get some def and Atk boosts. That, combined with your stabs and solid rock can be particlary vicious. The last slot is up for grabs. You could use Earthquake, adding some reliable coverage or use Toxic for annoying physical walls or even swagger, as a 2x Atk won't hurt you if you did enough curses.

That's all I can think of now Smile
Reference URL's