Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Weekly Pokemon Thread: Reshiram
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of you who will wonder why I choose 2 ubers in a row to be discussed, I will use the excuse of the dual-version pokemon movie that has been recently released.Apart from this, I have no other reason.
Anyway, this week we discuss Reshiram.A white, fire-breathing dragon, with a cool-named Mold Breaker as its ability and the engine of Apollo11 on the place where a tail should be.I like it's style, mostly because white is my favourite colour, but I also like the fact that it is perhaps the legendary that best exploits Draco Meteor.Its ground weakness kind is kind of annoying, especially since it is supposed to have some kind of flight, but I guess if it had Levitate it would look less epic.So, here it is, the second uber pokemon to be discussed!

Typing: Dragon /Fire
Ability: Turboblaze

Base Stats:
HP: 100
Attack: 120
Defense: 100
Sp.Attack: 150
Sp.Defense: 120
Speed: 90

Interesting TMs/HMs:

1. TM01 Hone Claws
2. TM22 Solarbeam
3. TM29 Psychic
4. TM43 Flame Charge
5. TM50 Overheat
6. TM52 Focus Blast
7. (Move Tutor) Draco Meteor

Well , no matter what, it is a very nice pokemon, powerful although a little predictable, but it should do really alright against its Uber comrades.What do you people think ?
[Image: reshiram_the_yin_pokemon_by_blooddragonx.png]
Um....Victini is not an uber Confused

Anyway , about reshiram.I was going to post my usual Full ofense&full Speed set but annoyingly enough , reshiram is one of the slowest ubers. Undecided However i did come up with something , it may look a bit wierd but i blelieve it would be perfect for doubles + sun team + trick room.

Modest @ Air ballon
252 SpA / 252 HP / 4 Def
Blue flare
Fusion flare/Solar beam
Psychic/ancient power
Dragon pulse
Well I really haven't played in Ubers apart from one battle but it's in my perception that Reshiram's STAB moves are only resisted as a combination by Heatran and that's only because he has Flash Fire... Reshiram though has Turboblaze, which means his STAB combination is unresisted by the whole metagame, something that is terrifying to think when you consider that he has 150 Sp.Atk, can have sun support and/or Specs and a move that has 130 Power without the aforementioned buffs.

The only thing Reshiram unfortunately lacks is Speed, and that's only because even with 100 Speed it would be SO better than it is now. You can use Flame Charge to try to solve this issue but I really don't like playing mixed when there's such a difference in stats. Then again, what do I know, I have played only one battle in that tier, maybe it does help Toungue I don't know what a +1 Reshiram can outpace either.

In my opinion Reshiram MUST have sun support, Specs/Scarf or Life Orb and definitely Rapid Spin support to bring out its full potential. EVs should be 252 Sp.Atk/252 HP/4 Spe (he wouldn't be outpacing anything in the tier at any time) and with a Modest nature for maximized damage. As for moves, something in the lines of:

Blue Flare
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast/Lava Plume/Flamethrower

That is because you don't need other moves apart from his STAB ones to be effective. I think that's what makes him such a good Pokemon. I really like him but I can't say he's one of my favorites, only because Zekrom has that place in my heart Big Grin (I wish he was as good as Reshiram though Toungue)
(09-12-2011 07:30 PM)Adk Wrote: [ -> ]Well I really haven't played in Ubers apart from one battle but it's in my perception that Reshiram's STAB moves are only resisted as a combination by Heatran and that's only because he has Flash Fire... Reshiram though has Turboblaze, which means his STAB combination is unresisted by the whole metagame, something that is terrifying to think when you consider that he has 150 Sp.Atk, can have sun support and/or Specs and a move that has 130 Power without the aforementioned buffs.

The only thing Reshiram unfortunately lacks is Speed, and that's only because even with 100 Speed it would be SO better than it is now. You can use Flame Charge to try to solve this issue but I really don't like playing mixed when there's such a difference in stats. Then again, what do I know, I have played only one battle in that tier, maybe it does help Toungue I don't know what a +1 Reshiram can outpace either.

In my opinion Reshiram MUST have sun support, Specs/Scarf or Life Orb and definitely Rapid Spin support to bring out its full potential. EVs should be 252 Sp.Atk/252 HP/4 Spe (he wouldn't be outpacing anything in the tier at any time) and with a Modest nature for maximized damage. As for moves, something in the lines of:

Blue Flare
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast/Lava Plume/Flamethrower

That is because you don't need other moves apart from his STAB ones to be effective. I think that's what makes him such a good Pokemon. I really like him but I can't say he's one of my favorites, only because Zekrom has that place in my heart Big Grin (I wish he was as good as Reshiram though Toungue)

Actually , why use Fire blast/lava plume/Flamethrower when it has access to Fusion flare? It has a Higher power level than Lava plume and Flamethrower and a higher accuracy level than fire blast.I know that it can not burn the foe but we have blue flare for that.Also , it might be useful if the foe has a zekrom.
If the opponent has Zekrom, you should attack with a Dragon-type move regardless of what move it uses.
Also, Fusion Flare has a maximum of 8 PP in a tier that half the Pokémon have Pressure as their ability.

Edit: Reshiram can't learn Lava Plume btw.
(09-12-2011 08:06 PM)Ninjomewtwo Wrote: [ -> ]If the opponent has Zekrom, you should attack with a Dragon-type move regardless of what move it uses.
Also, Fusion Flare has a maximum of 8 PP in a tier that half the Pokémon have Pressure as their ability.

Well yes , that is true but i am focusing on doubles....Toungue Seriously , imo , reshiram is not the best choice for singles. Undecided
(09-12-2011 08:06 PM)Ninjomewtwo Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Reshiram can't learn Lava Plume btw.

Damn you did your research didn't ya? Toungue

In any case KN I'd suggest a move that burns on Reshiram over a move that not burns and has slightly better power or accuracy any day. I think that with all the switch-ins, it's critical for Reshiram to burn something on the switch, hell anything that'd be burned would be welcome (except a Guts user or something in the lines of it).
Reshiram is a very cool and powerful pokemon but it needs too much support.
1.It needs sun to be up.
2.It needs a teammate to remove hazards as all of them cripple Reshiram.
3.It needs teammates that can get rid of Blissey,Chansey and Arceus-Normal.
This is the only way to pull of a sweep with reshiram.However,i wouldn't advise somebody to use it as a sweeper if it isn't in HO team.

Off Topic: Is there anyone who plays Ubers?I like it a lot and i think is a too underrated tier.
(09-12-2011 10:52 PM)christos21 Wrote: [ -> ]Reshiram is a very cool and powerful pokemon but it needs too much support.
1.It needs sun to be up.
2.It needs a teammate to remove hazards as all of them cripple Reshiram.
3.It needs teammates that can get rid of Blissey,Chansey and Arceus-Normal.
This is the only way to pull of a sweep with reshiram.However,i wouldn't advise somebody to use it as a sweeper if it isn't in HO team.

Off Topic: Is there anyone who plays Ubers?I like it a lot and i think is a too underrated tier.

a HO team? Toungue lol.......

Anyway , i like ubers too but i don't think im a worthy enough oponent for you.......Confused
@ Adk: Well i guess that from one point on its what each person prefers/is used to.
Don't laugh at Hyper Offense for any reason,especially in Ubers.A well-built one can be extremely difficult to stop.Btw, i don't want to find an opponent.I was just asking out of curiosityToungue
(10-12-2011 10:37 AM)christos21 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't laugh at Hyper Offense for any reason,especially in Ubers.A well-built one can be extremely difficult to stop.Btw, i don't want to find an opponent.I was just asking out of curiosityToungue

Um.....google the word "Ho" , you'llse why i find it funny when you say you use "ho teams" Toungue
Reference URL's