Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Windows 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The consumer preview is now available: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
Only for the tech savvy, don't try this at home kids.
Meh , still not amused. Undecided i mean , what's with the interfearance? it's the wordt thing i've ever seen imo. they should seperate tablet OSs from desktop and laptop OSs. i still hate it. (i hope i've understood correctly , this is a Win 8 disccushion thread right? Toungue ) once win 7 gets old i am definitelly swiching to ubuntu. and somehow i don't think i'm going to be the only one....(although i don't like the direction they are going twoards with the unity and gnome 3 shell either. Cinamon seems ok though)
Actually, it really is separate, the classic view is still there
(29-02-2012 11:40 PM)Arty2 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, it really is separate, the classic view is still there

yes but still , they made that even uglier than windows 7. (i didn't even think that was possible Confused ) Also , i don't want to have to click to go to the clasic view every time. Confused
Arty, what are your views on Win 8? Have you tried them?
Not yet unfortunately, but will do soon.
I have tried the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview. It will take some time to get used to the new UI. I'm not a fan of Metro. I used to love Windows Phone 7, but when I used one, I was not amused. The new "Aero", which I don't remember its name(kinda goes like Crystal Aero or something) sucks.( no rounded edges=fail) Also, they have integrated the Ribbon UI in Explorer. Paint and other programs were enough. In the consumer preview, you cannot use Windows Media Player 12, unless you go to C:\Programs and Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe and set it up, then pin it on the superbar. And you cannot find it under all programs(Metro UI aka the new Start Menu) There is a Music app, but it's kinda slow > Consumer Preview aka Beta. We will have to wait.

They killed the Live division in Windows 8, btw. There's a Messages app and People app, where you can add Google, Facebook and other accounts as well as view your online contacts. IT SUCKS! Can't view their images, no custom emoticons, and can't send files(be it pictures or something else).

The new Internet Explorer 10(which is the same as Internet Explorer 9 under the traditional desktop) is ok. Scores around 314 at http://www.html5test.com The Metro IE10 cannot use Flash(it's not a bug, it's a feature).

Something I should had told earlier, is that when you set it up for the first time, you must assign an email, live, hotmail, windowslive or whatever. Don't know what happens if you don't have an internet connection. Toungue I just assigned one.

Windows Live Messenger(Windows Live Wave 4 aka latest build) has bugs under Windows 8 and under Nightly 13a1(Firefox alpha) you cannot download files. Actually the download manager shows that it downloads the files, but when it's "done", it says "Cancelled"(dafaq?). Oh, I couldn't restore my Bookmarks(.json). I guess it's Nightly's fault.

I had set Nightly as my default browser, but Windows Live thought Internet Explorer was a better choice to open the sites. Toungue

The new Task Manager is... ok. Toungue No Start Button(orb) down-left. If you want to go to the Metro UI(which I say once again, it's the START MENU) you have to hit the Windows Button or drag your mouse at the edge down-right.

When I had many windows opened and couldn't see the desktop, I couldn't move files using WinRar. There IS Aero Peek(down-right), but the "button" is missing. You just drag your mouse there. Well, I dragged my mouse(when I had selected the files) under Windows 7 over there, and I would go to the desktop. Now, on Windows 8, you can't. It just shows a kinda "STOP" icon. Toungue

If you want to go to Control Panel, you have to right click in Metro UI, then select all programs, and find Control Panel. Toungue New icon for Internet Access. Also, if you want to shut down/restart your PC, you must find your way to the Power Icon. Toungue It's Under Metro UI. You drag your mouse up-right, then some icons will appear, you click on settings, then power and TADAN~

You can't disable Metro UI like in the Developer Preview. Damn! Now I'm back to Windows 7. Windows 8 is not the same as Windows 7 in terms of "this changes everything". I used Windows 7 when it was Milestone 2(Alpha) and kept installing the new leaks. It was amazing... I don't know if I will ever use Windows 8. Guess Windows 7 is the greatest Windows build ever.
Reference URL's