Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: What makes YOUR Pokémon games unique?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, since the discussion in the forums lately is mostly about E3, random stuff at the spam place and ponies, I think it is time for a Pokémon related thread.

As the title states, what things do you do at your own Pokémon games that make them unique? I know that there are people who like to organize their PC boxes according to type or region or dex numbers. Or others that enter the League with specific Pokémon that they want to be shown at the Hall of Fame. And many other stuff, from NPC interaction to nicknames.

tl;dr: What are these little things that define your way of enjoying Pokémon games?
Finding an interesting route to take while waiting for the eggs to hatch. I'm bored of the huge "up and down" route every game offers near the Day-Care, so I tend to stray off this given path to stave off my boredom.
(08-06-2012 10:22 PM)herooftime Wrote: [ -> ]Finding an interesting route to take while waiting for the eggs to hatch. I'm bored of the huge "up and down" route every game offers near the Day-Care, so I tend to stray off this given path to stave off my boredom.

Ι still prefer the usual route, less changes of directions means less time for the eggs to hatch. Listening to music or using skype helps to fight boredom (especially the first one).

And i see there isn't much interest, I'll post some of mine.

First of all, whenever I play a Pokémon game singleplayer I completely ignore natures, stats etc. I've played my Platinum with a modest staraptor just because that was the first one I caught. And I'd never restart the game just to get a female starter or save/reset to catch a Pokémon with good base stats.

I really avoid using great balls, just because I don't like them. I really like my team to be captured in premier balls and simple poké-balls, ultra ones are also nice.

I always have some standars to make sure the game isn't way too easy, like the option for battle switches, not saving before difficult battles and trying to limit visits to Pokémon centers/nurses/medics.

And finally, the one I enjoy the most, after completing the main story/league/side missions etc I return to the starting town and just imagine how the character feels after doing all that stuf and then coming back home, watching the sun set above the sea, with a warm breeze blowing and the starter at his side. It offers a nice sense of satisfaction. And the music at these towns is usually nostalgic, which makes it even better.
Well what makes my games unique...hmm.

I always start with Grass type Starter(except my first starter in Gold Cynda<3) coz everybody go for the fire ones or water ones and i wanna make the differnce Toungue

Also because i got 2 Gameboys(SP and advance) and 2 DS(Both from cousins given,no money Toungue) I always transfer ALL my usefull and most lovely Pokemon to the newest Pokemon Game i got and organisin my Boxes per game!

I never cared for Natures or Ivs in my journey to elite four.

All the symbols i have earned that requires ur own team in all the games i got THE SAME Charizard in it xD.
From emerald to platinum etc.

Lastly,i have finished 2 games with a stall team from the first badge to the last one.(Need a lot of patience Toungue)(FireRed and SoulSilver).
(09-06-2012 07:38 PM)JuanDeLolo Wrote: [ -> ]I always start with Grass type Starter(except my first starter in Gold Cynda<3) coz everybody go for the fire ones or water ones and i wanna make the differnce Toungue

I pick different starters, usually the one that looks the most appealing. And talkin about starting the journey, I always pick the male char and name him after me. Like in most games.
Nice thread. Wink

Something I remember well, is that when my Emerald was new game'd, I created a new party that was based on my pets and my friend's pets. I think the team was a Zigzagoon(based on my dog which was very small and furry then), a Linoone(based on a dog again), a Mightyena(a german Shepherd), a second Mightyena(based on a boxer ), a Wingull( parrot), and a Torchic( a canary).

Yeah, most of them were unevolved. I also remember that the two Mightyena(male and female) were the parents of a Poochyena. It was like a story. I had trained some other Pokemon but at the end these were my team. Interestingly, they managed to beat Elite 4 and the champion. I think that they were 80-90lv when they did it. Also, because I was selective in what Pokemon I trained, I didn't use Rayquaza. I think it was a quite interesting change.

Also, another thing I remember is that I have created part of my Heart Gold team in Platinum. I bred a Scizor and a Larvitar, with some interesting moves. I was so happy when my Larvitard became a Tyranitard :') HG was also the only game I used nicknames. I was going to use them on BW too, but they would be confusing because I didn't know the names very well.

Finally, I was going to create a team in Platinum based on Batman but I found it difficult. Generally, I like to have teams with Pokemon with a common theme. But I always do this after I have finished the game. I had created some based on Ash' team, on Brock's etc. And I've thought about creating a team based on One Piece(Ambipom-Luffy, Scyther-Zoro, Hitmonlee-Sanji, Duskull-Brook, Usopp-Shiftry etc) but I didn't.
Most probably the fact that I'm always too bored to play them. :/

Just like Juan, I always choose the same type of starter in my "main" save game, which means I have only selected anything other than the Fire type in some replays or games I have temporarily owned.

I used to organize my boxes by type, plus some special boxes (one for new ones, one for the Pokemon I tend to use often etc). But it has grown to be a boring chore.

I've stopped using legendaries in my parties, just because I want to EV train them/ catch them with beneficial natures etc, which of course in the end I almost never do. So I mostly depend on Pokemon I like, while lately I've also used more than 1 starter, which generally makes the games eaaaaasy. And yes, Great Balls ARE stupid, I usually switch from Pokeballs straight to Ultra Ball. Either this or my memory fails me.
Truestory, EV training and searching for Pokemon with specific natures and IVs is ridiculous for a playthrough. I don't really care about them, unless I have two or more Pokemon of the same species in the box i want to train, then I choose the one with the most beneficial attributes.

Also, I don't choose a certain type of stater (like Charmader, Cyndaquil, Torchic and so on). Although, I love Charmader <3.
First of all,I always pick up a fire starter.I only catch pokemon I like and that will help make a good team and not trying to fill the dex ('cause I know I can find them later on the game 40 levels stronger Toungue). Also, I never throw master balls to legends. And I prefer getting them in a luxury ball,a premier ball or an ultra ball.I also rename pokemon with cool names.I don't like shiny pokemon that look like shit. I don't organize my pokemon or boxes and there's always a mess when trying to find something
However, I spend time sorting my items and never use an item when it's the last one.
Great thread idea , as usual Db0 Smile

Now then , let's see......basically ,
(11-06-2012 01:38 PM)herooftime Wrote: [ -> ]Truestory, EV training and searching for Pokemon with specific natures and IVs is ridiculous for a playthrough. I don't really care about them
this.

Also , without me really wanting to it's almost become a tradition for me to always go for the water type starter Toungue although when it comes to most pkmn i prefer fire types to water types by far and i generally don't really like water types. However every time i am made to choose a starter.....i always end up choosing the water type. (Even in roms Toungue) it;s not like i say , "i'll go for the water type because i always do" , but there hasn't really been a time i chose any of the other two.

Anyway , i also like catching mostly ghost , dark , psychic , fire and steel types. I don't really like bulky pkmn , like for instance golurk or agron , exeggcutor , etc. Mostly pkmn like abra , haunter , shuppet , arbok , scyther , sneasel , ralts , sabley ofc (i could spend hours running around in the cave on hoenn until i get one Toungue i really never advanced any further than that little island in hoenn until i got one. Always. Smile ) , absol , etc.

Now i always kinda avoided ultra balls when i could and used great balls instead.....Confused idk i just like those two pointy things it has Toungue and the blue rays instead of the yellow ones. that's mostly it really. idk , i always preffered using luxury balls , great balls and now dusk balls as well. i don't really like ultra balls and dive balls , (they're ugly Toungue ) so i kinda avoid them whenever i can.

so......what else? Boxes. I always have 3-4 "-40lvl" boxes , in B/W i needed two "40-60" boxes (never really needed those in any other game) , one "60lvl+" box , a "SPECIAL" box where i keep shinys , event pkmn and rare pkmn for that version (for instance a venonat in emerald) , 2-3 "100 lvl" boxes and next to that an "EGGS" box. after that i keep a spare box that is always empty , i use it as a standby box , to put pkmn there for a while , go do whatever changes i wanted to do with other pkmn and then just take them back. Always for temprorary purposes. and all go in that order Smile now in B/W i also keep an "EV" box after that one where i keep all the pkmn that need EV training and a "DW" box for pkmn with DWA.

i also like to keep my team in a specific order always , first goes the starter , then the 3 other pkmn , then the flyer and then the general HM slave.

What else.........like skorp , i don't use the last item either. idk why , i just don't like doing that Toungue Finally , i prefer special type moves and/or moves that have to do with slicing or piercing or whatever has to do with sharp things in general. So yeah , that's about it.

@ peke , really nice idea with the themed teams and stuff........i think i'm gonna try that out as well Smile Maybe an Arrancar themed one Smile

oh yeah , i forgot to mention i never use legendaries in-game. Never.
Well, I thought talking about our own Pokémon games would be an interesting change to commenting on other random stuff.

Something else, I never organize me pc boxes. I got one with battle pokemon, some other with breeeding stuff etc and all the others are just a mess. Many times I don't know whether or not I have a Pokémon stored in my boxes and I end up earch em all one by one.

Also, about items, I always, always make sure that I have an abundance of repels no matter at which stage of the game I am, I stockpile revives whenever possible just to be sure (ending up with 45 unused revives) and I avoid going anywhere without a good amount of different Poké-balls (dusk, net, quick, ultra mostly), just in-case of a shiny.
+1 for the Repels, I also do this. Just CAN'T wander around without repels. In my "old" save games I usually have hundreds of Max Repels, Ultra Balls, Moomoo Milks and Lava Heals (where available) or Hyper Potions,Full Heals and Revives, plus a few Full Restores.
I usually buy only Full Restores when they become available. And of couse, Max repels are essential.

Also, I buy dusk balls, net balls and dive balls. But I always have some Ultra Balls just in case. And yeah, Great balls aren't that great Toungue
Full Restores are generally too expensive and are not needed in huge quantities, since by the time your Pokemon have much more than 200 HP they generally rock and don't need them. Toungue
Well, I don't know xD I am used to use only Full Restore after the E4. I still have some Hyper Potions but generally, I use Full Restores. Money-wise I never had a problem.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's