Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: EV (Effort Value) Training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought to write a new guide about Effort values for Generation V because there is only a guide for Generation IV.

First of all, Effort Values (EVs for short or Effort Points) are numbers that being added in each of a Pokemon's stats whenever it defeats another Pokemon.
For example, defeating a Basculin, your pokemon will gain 2 Speed EVs in its Speed stat.

Here you can see the formulas to calculate any stat of a Pokemon with given IVs and EVs:

[Image: HPStatCalcGen34.png]
[Image: OtherStatCalcGen34.png]

Also you can use this calculator to easily calculate a Pokemon's stats, EVs or IVs.

With this in mind, defeating specific Pokemon, you can benefit specific stats of your Pokemon.

IMPORTANT! You MUST keep track of each Pokemon you KO while EV training! It's the only efficient way to know the exact number of EVs your Pokemon has. Another way, in BW2, if you call Bianca from the Xtransceiver, she can tell you the 2 stats that are maxxed out. In BW, there is an effort value judge at Opelucid City that does the same as Bianca.

Some principals that you have to keep in mind before start EV Training:
  • A total of 510 EVs can gained by a Pokemon.
  • Only 2 stats can be maxxed out. The maximum number of EVs that a Pokemon can gain in its stat is 255.
  • At Level 100, for every 4 EVs that a Pokemon gains at a specific stat, 1 stat point is awarded.

Unlike previous generations, the benefits of EV Training are visible immediately after a battle ends.

Secondly, as we mentioned above, you must have in mind that 4 EVs give 1 stat point, so you have to give 252 EVs instead to 255 EVs. The division of 255 with 4 give us 63.75 points. This number is rounded down so you have 63 points and 0.75 points that are wasted. However, if we divide 252 with 4 then we get exactly 63. Consequently, 252 EVs in a stat is the most effective way of training.

Now for the training part.

There are many ways that can make EV training faster.
  • Vitamins
  • Macho Brace
  • Pokerus
  • Power Items
  • Wings

Also, to speed up the battles a bit, you can disable the move animations.

Vitamins is the most important tool that quickens EV Training. There are six vitamins, one for each stat which give 10 EVs in a particular stat. You have to use them from the start of EV training and can only use 10 of them in each stat, which means a total of 100 EVs can be gained from each vitamin. They can be bought at the Battle Subway and the Pokemon World Tournament (PWT) for 1 BP each. The list of vitamins is shown below:

1. HP Up +10 HP EVs
  2. Protein +10 Attack EVs
  3. Iron +10 Defense EVs
  4. Calcium +10 Special Attack EVs
  5. Zinc +10 Special Defense EVs
  6. Carbos +10 Speed EVs

Macho Brace [Image: 215.png] doubles the amount of EVs would normally gain from a Pokemon, while also cutting your Speed in half (only while it is held; not permanently!).

Pokerus [Image: Pok%C3%A9rusIC.png] double the amount of EVs the Pokemon earns.

Bulbapedia Wrote:Pokerus has a 3 in 65,536 chance of being generated on a Pokemon, either wild or bred.

It's difficult to get it but with the Wi-Fi features that has been added from Generation IV and on, the spreading of the virus is easier. After the Pokemon catch the virus, it can spread it to other Pokemon that are adjacent to it in the party (you have to do some battles before the virus spreads). After a specific time, Pokerus disappears from the Pokemon (which means the Pokemon is cured) if it's left in party. If you deposit the infected Pokemon at the PC, the virus will remain permantly. After the Pokemon is cured, it can still earn double EVs but it cannot spread the virus anymore. A small face will appear at the summary page of the Pokemon after it's cured.

Power Items are a set of held items (one for each stat) which give 4 EVs after a battle. They can be bought at the Battle Subway for 16 BP for each one. The EVs gained from the Power Items are doubled if the Pokemon is infected with Pokerus. Like the Macho Brace, they cut in half the Pokemon's Speed stat temporarily. They are shown below:

1. Power Weight +4 HP EVs
  2. Power Bracer +4 Attack EVs
  3. Power Belt +4 Defense EVs
  4. Power Lens +4 Special Attack EVs
  5. Power Band +4 Special Defense EVs
  6. Power Anklet +4 Speed EVs

Wings are a set of times that are just like vitamins but they can be used whenever you want. They can only be found in Flying Pokemon's shadows on the Driftveil Drawbridge and Marvelous Bridge.
Each one of the wings gives 1 EV per stat, except the Pretty Wing which is completely useless. Note that giving wings to a Pokemon to increase its EVs, the points gained are not doubled despite the fact that the Pokemon is infected with Pokerus.. You can find the following wings:

1. Health Wing +1 HP EVs
  2. Muscle Wing +1 Attack EVs
  3. Resist Wing +1 Defense EVs
  4. Genius Wing +1 Special Attack EVs
  5. Clever Wing +1 Special Defense EVs
  6. Swift Wing +1 Speed EVs

Another useful part is that if you lost your count of how many pokemon you knock out when EV training, you can remove 10 EVs per stat using a specific berry. Below you can see the list of the berries:

1. [Image: 169.png]Pomeg Berry -10 HP EVs
  2. [Image: 170.png]Kelpsy Berry -10 Attack EVs
  3. [Image: 171.png]Qualot Berry -10 Defense EVs
  4. [Image: 172.png]Hondew Berry -10 Special Attack EVs
  5. [Image: 173.png]Grepa Berry -10 Special Defense EVs
  6. [Image: 174.png]Tamato Berry -10 Speed EVs

With this way you can completely erase a Pokemon's EVs and start over again.

These berries can be found in the Dream World where you can grow the berries in your garden. Also, in B2/W2, there's a Pokemon Breeder near the Hidden Grotto in Route 5 which gives you 5 EV lowering berries of a kind for 200 Pokedollars.

Last but not least, you can use Exp. Share to EV train a Pokemon. Assuming that you start EV Training a Pokemon after you hatch it from an egg so it's at level 1. At this level, it's not capable to defeat any Pokemon. So you have to give it the Exp. Share and battle a specific Pokemon with a stronger one. With this way, the Pokemon that holds the Exp. Share will get EVs that the opposing Pokemon gives. So will do the Pokemon that battled it. EVs are not cut in half. What this means is you could have the Pokemon you're EV training hold the Exp. Share and it will gain, say, 2 Speed EVs when your lead Pokemon KO's a Basculin.

EV Training places

[Image: 2ez7o1g.png]

Credits go to Bulbapedia, Marriland and Smogon
Seems like a good job. Smile
Question:
Let's say I'm battling a Lillipup.It gives me 1 Attack EV.
If my Pokemon holds a Power Bracer,I get 4 more Attack EVs
So,5 Attack EVs per Lillipup I beat when my Pokemon holds a Power Bracer.
So,if my Pokemon has Pokerus,I get 10 EVs per Lillipup I defeat,while holding a Power Brace?
If yes,then I guess EV training is much easier than I thought.

Also,do the Power Items give +4 EVs per wild Pokemon's EV or per wild Pokemons I beat?

Also,the EV lowering berries can also be found in B2/W2.There's a Pokemon Breeder near the Hidden Grotto in Route 5 which gives you 5 EV lowering berries of a kind for 200 Pokedollars
Yes, you get 10 EVs. You get [(whatever the wild Pokemon gives)+(4 of what the power item gives)]*2.
Thanks,GeorgeSlayer!

@SonicPKMN
Nice guide!
It takes me so long to RNG a single Speed Boost Blaziken.Now,thanks to your guide,I know more things.Big Grin
Thanks for the kind words. I would like Vitamins, Wings and Power Items to have images as well but it is allowed 15 images only, so I deleted some of them.

@8hachi8 I will edit the guide to add what you wrote about EV-reducing berries if there's no problem.
(28-07-2013 03:16 PM)SonicPKMN Wrote: [ -> ]@8hachi8 I will edit the guide to add what you wrote about EV-reducing berries if there's no problem.

Well,I have no problem!
Don't give credits to me.I checked Bulbapedia because I wasn't sure.Toungue

Also,how many battles does it approximately take to spread the Pokerus to the team's Pokemon?
I'm not sure but 5-10 battles is OK. After that and as time flows every Pokemon in your party will catch Pokerus.
Nice guide, useful.
Here's a question lets say you have 96atk evs and use protien does it only give you 4 evs or all 10?
(28-03-2014 07:41 PM)Vahn Death Heart Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a question lets say you have 96atk evs and use protien does it only give you 4 evs or all 10?

Your Pokemon gain only 4 EVs. Vitamins are useful if EVs of your Pokemon are below 100.
Reference URL's