Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: IV (Individual Value) Breeding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Introduction to IVs

Individual Values (IVs) are random numbers that are being generated when a Pokemon is caught/hatched and cannot be changed through any means. They fluctuate from 0 to 31 and they are being added in each of a Pokemon's stats. At level 100, a Pokemon with 31 IVs, say in HP, will have a difference of 31 points from one that has 0 IVs in the same stat. Each IV gives one stat point at Level 100. At half the level, the difference becomes half of 31, and so on.

Here you can see the formulas to calculate IVs of any stat of a Pokemon:

Hit Point IV = ((Stat – Level Value - 10) * 100 / Level Value ) - 2 * BaseStat – Math.Floor(EV / 4)

Other stats IV = ((Math.Ceiling(Stat / Stat) - 5) * 100 / Level Value) - 2 * Base Stat – Math.Floor(Effort Points / 4)

Generally, the results are rounded up.

Now to the interesting part.

When breeding the following items are useful:
  • Everstone
  • Power Items

If a Pokemon is holding an Everstone, the baby has a 50% chance of inheriting that Pokemon's Nature. In BW2, the odds of passing the nature have changed to 100%. Also only female Pokemon can pass down Dream World Abilities.

Power Items help to pass a specific IV to the offspring. If two parents hold different Power items, then there is a 50% chance of either IV being passed down. However doing so, means that only one IV, and not the other IV will be passed down. The choice is random.

Unlike DPPt, each IV has an even chance of being passed down to the offspring (1 in 6 chance).

Ditto hunting

In order to make IV breeding easier and less time consuming you have to do some things first.

Ditto is the best Pokemon for breeding. You have to try and catch as many of them you can because you have a 1 to 6 chance to catch a Ditto with a 31 IV in a stat. So in average, you have to catch 36 Ditto. Why 36? Well, you want six Dittos, each with one stat that has 31 IVs. And six times six is 36. This number is an average so maybe it will take a bit longer.

Ditto can be found at the Giant Chasm.
  • A large stock of Poke Balls is required.
  • Another helpful thing is to lead the party with a pokemon that has a low catch rate holding a Smoke Ball (to avoid other meaningless battles) such as Magikarp. When you encounter a Ditto, it will transform into Magikarp and then it will be easier to catch it (since the Ditto will aquire all the attributes from the Magikarp).

Sychronizers

Despite just catching an army of Ditto, sometimes you want the bred Pokemon to have a specific Nature. With this in mind, you have to have a specific Pokemon leading the party with the ability Sychronize. This Pokemon must have the Nature you want.

The following Pokemon have this ability:
  • Abra
  • Kadabra
  • Alakazam
  • Mew
  • Natu
  • Xatu
  • Espeon
  • Umbreon
  • Ralts
  • Kirlia
  • Gardevoir
  • Munna
  • Musharna
  • Elgyem
  • Beheeyem

Bulbapedia Wrote:if a Pokemon with this Ability is leading the party, there is a 50% chance that wild Pokemon encountered will have the same Nature as the Pokemon with Synchronize.

The breeding process.

The Pokemon Day Care in the Unova region is at Route 3. There you will leave out Ditto and another Pokemon, Pikachu for example.

Before you do that, you have to make Ditto hold a Power Item or Everstone. If Pikachu (or another Pokemon) has the Nature you want, then it will be better to hold the Everstone, so the Ditto hold the particular Power Item that passes the IV you want. After that, put them in the Day Care and after some minutes wandering around, the Day Care man will inform you (if you are nearby) that he has an egg.

If you hatch the egg and check its IVs, you will see that Pichu will have the IV that got passed from the Ditto using a specific Power Item. For example, If Ditto held Power Anklet then the Pichu will have inherited the Speed IV of the Ditto.

At this point, you have to change the Ditto with another one that holding another Power Item. Then leave them at the Day Care and wait for an Egg. (For your example you have to evolve Pichu to continue breeding because it belongs to the Undiscovered Egg Group. More about Egg Groups can see below).

After you hatch the Egg, you will see that another IV will be 31, but the 31 IV from the previous egg may be lost.

To sum up, you have to change parents so you get better IVs.. It's a tedious process but it's an easy way to get good IVs despite being time consuming.

Maybe my example isn't the best so I found another one:

Marriland Wrote:
  1. Get a Drilbur and breed until you have desired nature.
  2. Breed that Drilbur holding an Everstone with a Ditto (with 31 Attack IVs) holding a Power Bracer. Do so until you get a Drilbur with 31 Attack IVs and desired nature.
  3. Breed that Drilbur you just got with a Ditto (with 31 Speed IVs) holding a Power Anklet. Breed until you get the desired Drilbur.

Also, if you want to pass to the offspring a specific ability you have to take into consideration the following.

In BW, a Pokemon hatched from an Egg has a 50% chance of acquiring either Ability.
In BW2, the ability can be passed to the offspring only from a female Pokemon. If the mother has its ability in slot 1, then the baby has an 80% chance of hatching with that ability, and 20% for the second ability and viceversa if the mother has the ability in the second slot. This calculation even happens if the baby Pokemon or the mother only has one ability, since the ability is the same in both slots.

About Dream World Abilities, I found 2 different opinions.

Bulbapedia Wrote:If a female Pokemon has a Hidden Ability and is bred, it has a 60% chance of giving that Ability to each of its children. Each of the other Abilities has a 20% chance of being passed down. Hidden Abilities cannot be passed down from male or genderless Pokemon, or when breeding with Ditto.

Smogon Wrote:If the Female parent has a Dream World ability, and is bred with a Male parent of the same species, there is a 40% chance that the Dream World ability will be passed down to the offspring.

You don't have to bother so much about it. Keep breeding to get the desired ability.

Below you can see the Egg Groups for all Pokemon:

Egg Groups (Click to View)

Lastly, there are some ways to determine the IVs of a Pokemon in-game.
  • The IV judge at Battle Subway at Nimbasa City
  • Characteristics
  • IV Battles

The IV judge will tell the Pokemon's "potential" which is based on the sum of all six IVs, as well as the stat with the highest IV and its range. In the case whereby there is a tie between the stats of the highest IVs, the Judge will tell all the stats instead of one, in the order: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed.

Potential IV Total
  • Decent 0 - 90
  • Above Average 91 - 120
  • Relatively Superior 121 - 150
  • Outstanding 151 - 186

Highest IV Range
  • Rather Decent 0 - 15
  • Very Good 16 - 25
  • Fantastic 26 - 30
  • Can't Be Better 31

Characteristics are phrases at the summary page of a Pokemon that give a hint about the highest IV in a specific stat. But because every characteristic corresponds to more than one IVs it's not so accurate.

An IV Battle is a type of battle that helps to determine easily the IVs of your Pokemon by leveling them temporarily to Level 50 or 100. This can be done by asking a friend to battle you with the Pokemon you want to determine their IVs. Just enter the battle, write down the stats of the Pokemon and forfeit.

Credits go to Bulbapedia, Serebii, Marriland and Smogon
I found sth in Bulbapedia in the Evolutionary Stone page (where the Everstone is also included)
Bulbapedia Wrote:If held in the Pokémon Day Care by either parent, Pokémon bred will have a 50% chance of having the nature of the holder.HGSSBW
If held in the Pokémon Day Care by either parent, Pokémon bred will definitely have the nature of the holder.B2W2

Also,I don't understand what you said about Ditto and its IVs
(29-07-2013 03:51 PM)SonicPKMN Wrote: [ -> ]Ditto is the best Pokemon for breeding. You have to try and catch as many of them you can because you have a 1 to 6 chance to catch a Ditto with a 31 IV in a stat. So in average, you have to catch 36 Ditto. Why 36? Well, you want six Dittos, each with one stat that has 31 IVs. And six times six is 36. This number is an average so maybe it will take a bit longer.

Can you explain it,please? ^_^
He says that one of six Dittos you can on average has an IV of 31 in one stat. So in order to have a Ditto with an IV of 31 for every stat, you need to catch about 6*6=36 Dittos on average, which is not really accurate but it's ok.
@8hachi8 I wrote only about the mother or Ditto, I think that is what you are trying to with the quote. I will fix it. As for the second it has been answered better by GeorgeSlayer than me. Big Grin

I'm not so good with probabibilities and I found this part in another site so I thought to add it. If anyone know more feel free to post and correct it.
Reference URL's