Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: A short guide for EV training with hordes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
I was bored,so I decided to make a guide.Toungue
As you know,Pokemon X/Y have a brand new feature called Horde Battle,which allows you to battle 5 Pokemon on 1 time.
EV training has become easy thanks to Super Training,but it's not a very fast way to EV train your Pokemon. But hordes are extremely fast,as a way to EV train.
In this guide,you'll see the basics about horde training.So,let's begin!

Things you'll need:
The Pokemon you want to EV train
A strong Pokemon with move that hits all targets (ex:Surf,Earthquake,Heat Wave)
Exp.Share ON,if you want to EV train a weak Pokemon or multiples at once
Lots of Honey or a Pokemon with Sweet Scent

The method hasn't changed that much since GenV,but I'll tell you again:
4 EVs=1 stat point
A Pokemon can have a max of 510 EVs,but the effective cap is 508.This means 2 EVs are useless.
A stat can have a max of 255 EVs,with the effective cap being 252.. (on a side note,I've noticed that EVs stop at the effective cap for a stat now)

Power Items work with hordes.There's a total of 7 Power Items (including Macho Brace).Their effects are:
Power Weight +4 HP EVs per battle
Power Bracer +4 Attack EVs per battle
Power Belt +4 Defense EVs per battle
Power Lens +4 Special Attack EVs per battle
Power Band +4 Special Defense EVs per battle
Power Anklet +4 Speed EVs per battle
Macho Brace doubles the EVs per battle

Also,you'll need Pokerus for quicker EV training.Pokerus doubles the EVs per battle.

You might ask how many EVs you earn per horde.
Assuming that you're battling a Yanma horde (Yanma gives 1 Speed EV):
The horde itself gives 1*5=5 EVs
With Pokerus: 1*5*2=10 EVs
With Macho Brace: 1*5*2=10 EVs
With Pokerus+Macho Brace: 1*5*2*2=20 EVs
With Power Anklet: (1+4)*5=5*5=5²=25 EVs
With Pokerus+Power Anklet: (1+4)*5*2=5*5*2=5²*2=50 EVs
So,the most effective way of EV training is having Pokerus and holding the correct Power Item.

You can find the full list with the hordes here,but I'll tell you my suggestions:
HP: Foongus (1 EV) Locations:Route 15,Route 16,Route 20,Pokemon Village
Attack: Bellsprout (1 EV) Locations:Route 14
Defense: Geodude (1 EV) Locations:Route 18,Terminus Cave,Victory Road
Sp.Attack: Mareep (1EV) Locations:Route 12
Sp.Defense: Swablu (1 EV) Locations:Route 21
Speed: Yanma (1 EV) Locations:Route 10

If you have any suggestions about my guide (eg:add something I forgot),please tell me.

PS:It's my first guide,so it will have some flaws.
Its a nice idea to make a guide like this and I have to say that this way is far better than super training.I have to say though that I beat gulpins for HP as they are around 9 lvl,nosepass for def and mime jr. for sp.def.I dont remember the exact routes but i can check and post them if you want as an alternative.
@tzanakos

When I find some time,I will add a full list of the hordes.
I added some of my suggestions.
To be honest,I have only tried Yanma and Mareep hordes.
Speaking of Super Training,I use it for the last 6 EVs.
Protips:
For Attack, the Ekans in Route 14 also give 1 Atk EV.
For Special Attack, both Vanillite and Smoochum in Frost Cavern give 1 SpAtk EV.
For Speed, both Wingull and Taillow in Route 8 give 1 Speed EV.
For Defense, you can use a Pokémon with Mold Breaker to KO the horde Pokémon since most of them have Sturdy which can be pretty annoying.
Just a sidenote for my guide:
I was thinking of how I will EV train my Klefki.
252 HP/68 Def/188 Sp.Def (I'm following Terraplant's advice for more balanced defenses)
It's hard to get some spreads,imo.
If you check Excadrill in Smogon,you can see a spread of 176 HP/60 Atk/252 SpD/20 Spe

The best way to do such spreads,you must use hordes for the big stats and ST for the others.
But,on the Excadrill spread we can use one horde of Pokerus+item and a horde of Pokerus only for Attack and 1 horde of Pokerus+Macho Brace for Speed.
I've already trained Defense on Klefki,imo.

Off-topic:We should make a poll about what people prefer:hordes or Super Training?
I would open such a poll,if polls were allowed. Big Grin
U can use Honey or a pokemon with Sweet Scent move to encounter Horde more easy
I realize this is a continuation of a thread long silenced, but I just wanted to add on the tidbits for ORAS that changed from XY and the key Hordes from ORAS that aid in quick EV-training.

Firstly, a mechanic mentioned by JBele that was introduced with the introduction of Hordes was the ability to unfailingly (provided a Horde exists in the area in question) attract a Pokémon Horde upon the use of either one Honey or Sweet Scent by the known Pokémon (i.e. Amoonguss or Venusaur). However, in XY, conditions such as Rain prevented those two from working; Rain will often appear in some areas at various times, and cause the Sweet Scent to dissipate, nulling its effects. This was changed in ORAS, as both can now be used in any weather condition - whether it be Rain, Sandstorm, or Drought.

Some key Hordes in ORAS are found below. These Hordes will always appear whenever a Honey or Sweet Scent is used; and each of the Pokémon give off 1 EV of their specified category.

HP: Whismur (Rusturf Tunnel) - This Horde is pretty simple to bash. All of the Whismur are immune to sound-based moves thanks to Soundproof (bar the one Whismur with Rattled), and carry Normal-type moves; so a Ghost-type Pokémon is the optimal choice here (i.e. Dazzling Gleam Mismagius and Earthquake Golurk).

Attack: Shuppet (Mt. Pyre Interior) - This Horde boasts Frisk most of the time, so you'll be seeing much of that before the battle actually starts. They each carry Ghost-type moves with priority Shadow Sneak and Screech; so a Normal-type Pokémon is the optimal choice here (i.e. Scrappy Boomburst Exploud and Parabolic Charge Heliolisk). However, be careful if your thrasher has a spread move with an accuracy less than perfect and low PP, as their Spite can quickly reduce it to zero.

Defense: Sandshrew (Route 111 Desert) - This horde is the second trickiest of all of the Hordes, as these armadillos are found within an infinite sandstorm carrying either Sand Veil or Sand Rush - the former of which can turn a one-shot battle into a mindgame - and Poison Sting. A Pokémon with Cloud Nine, Air Lock, Mold Breaker, Teravolt or Turboblaze, or a Pokémon that can change the weather is the optimal choice here (i.e. Mold Breaker Earthquake Excadrill and Snow Warning Blizzard Abomasnow).

Special Attack: Oddish (Route 119) - This Horde lacks three of the moves that have caused annoyances in players since RBY: Sleep and Poison Powder, and Stun Spore. Not much is needed to bash them, so almost any spread attack will finish them off (i.e. Earthquake Forretress and Earthquake Gogoat).

Special Defense: Swablu (Route 115) - This Horde ranks third in annoyance, as they carry Fury Attack and Sing - the latter of which can cause problems if they all land consecutively. For this reason, a Pokémon that can either block or take advantage of Sleep is the optimal choice here (i.e. Magic Bounce Synchronoise Xatu and Sleep Talk + Surf Suicune).

Speed: Zubat (Cave of Origin) - This is by far the most annoying of all six of the Hordes. All carry the no-miss Confuse Ray, along with two flinching moves in Astonish and Bite, all of which can turn your slower trainee into deadweight. For these pesky bats, the optimal choice here is a Pokémon that can deflect or nullify confusion (i.e. Magic Bounce Synchronoise Xatu and Own Tempo Surf Lickilicky).
Reference URL's