Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: CIA "enhanced interrogation" report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In quotations, because it's not quite confirmed what the exact name is for the techniques employed by the CIA. I chose the more diplomatic one.

On December 9, the Senate Intelligence Committee released a report describing, in excruciating detail, all of the wonderful things that have been going on in Guantanamo Bay in the name of protecting American citizens from terrorists. In short, 90% of it was unnecessary, counter-productive, and illegal to boot.
The full report can be found here, and the general summary can be found here.

What do you think about it? Have you heard of it? What do you think will happen?
To be honest, I'm surprised they actually released a report admitting to the torture techniques. I mean yeah, we all knew it was happening but it's one thing for it to happen and a completely different thing for the US to admit to doing it. I don't tolerate torture....but if we capture a terrorist that has killed tons of Americans I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it that is to say, make him/her feel the pain that they caused us. That being said, I wouldn't torture anybody myself.
(12-12-2014 06:15 AM)grassdragon Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I'm surprised they actually released a report admitting to the torture techniques.

Well, the CIA put up a monumental fight to keep the report unpublished and hidden. They knew that if the Senate released this to the public, there would be great outcry against the CIA. They didn't want it released at all, we exposed it anyway.

(12-12-2014 06:15 AM)grassdragon Wrote: [ -> ]I don't tolerate torture....but if we capture a terrorist that has killed tons of Americans I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it that is to say, make him/her feel the pain that they caused us.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth? You don't support the program for its supposed intelligence benefits, you just want to take revenge on the terrorists who masterminded the deaths of so many people.
(12-12-2014 06:51 AM)Alcovich Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2014 06:15 AM)grassdragon Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I'm surprised they actually released a report admitting to the torture techniques.

Well, the CIA put up a monumental fight to keep the report unpublished and hidden. They knew that if the Senate released this to the public, there would be great outcry against the CIA. They didn't want it released at all, we exposed it anyway.
I know. That's why I'm surprised. The US usually keeps that kind of info under lock and key and then they sit on it.

(12-12-2014 06:51 AM)Alcovich Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2014 06:15 AM)grassdragon Wrote: [ -> ]I don't tolerate torture....but if we capture a terrorist that has killed tons of Americans I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it that is to say, make him/her feel the pain that they caused us.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?
Pretty much.
(12-12-2014 06:15 AM)grassdragon Wrote: [ -> ]I don't tolerate torture....but if we capture a terrorist that has killed tons of Americans I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it that is to say, make him/her feel the pain that they caused us. That being said, I wouldn't torture anybody myself.

Actually,the terrorists are the Americans.
Americans are the one who invaded their land and interfered with their problems.
Who invaded Iraq? Who invaded Afghanistan? Who invaded Libya? What about damn Vietnam?
Let's not even mention what you did to the actual Americans,aka Native Americans.
(12-12-2014 04:07 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]Who invaded Afghanistan?

The Soviet Union, in 1979.

(12-12-2014 04:07 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]Who invaded Libya?

French air forces.

(12-12-2014 04:07 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]What about damn Vietnam?

The Ho Chi Minh army, through Laos.

All joking aside, I have to agree with Hachi. The things we're doing to the suspected terrorists are the same things that the former Middle Eastern dictatorships did to alleged (innocent) spies, the same thing Nazi officers (Godwin's Law does not apply, I'm having an intelligent discussion and making an accurate historical point) did to extract information from captured Allied soldiers. We can't let our enemies' brutality and our desperation for security define us as a nation.

I'm reminded of an old quote. "When Good decides it is necessary to use any and all available force to destroy Evil, it becomes indistinguishable from the Evil it set out to destroy."
@Alcovich
I didn't mean this exactly,but...

(14-12-2014 02:51 AM)Alcovich Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2014 04:07 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]Who invaded Afghanistan?

The Soviet Union, in 1979.

I meant USA (or even better,NATO) in 2001
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afgh...present%29

(12-12-2014 04:07 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]Who invaded Libya?

French air forces.

NATO again in 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_milita...n_in_Libya
And USA in 1986
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_United...g_of_Libya

(12-12-2014 04:07 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]What about damn Vietnam?

The Ho Chi Minh army, through Laos.

I guess you're right for this,but I was mostly saying that USA interfered there as well Toungue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War
I know. I just wanted to do a bit of trolling. Toungue

Ultimately, it was American/European meddling in these areas that brought about many of the problems that we're dealing with today.
terrorism is a scourge on our planet, but remember, one death is the same as 100.any killer deserves to be tortured. let their sins be wrought upon them.
(15-12-2014 09:54 PM)Emerald Wrote: [ -> ]one death is the same as 100.

What? Where on Earth did this come from?
1 death =/= 100 deaths
we torture terrorists for killing masses of people yet the effect is the same as one death

there will always be an effector and an effected
(15-12-2014 09:54 PM)Emerald Wrote: [ -> ]any killer deserves to be tortured. let their sins be wrought upon them.

Then if ANY killer deserves to be tortured,why don't you torture the soldiers USA and a variety of nations send to kill the "terrorists"? Or,even better,why don't you kill your leaders as well,since they send the soldiers to kill?
(Edit: @Emerald)

Now that's just silly.

2 dead in shootout = Sad tragedy
200 dead in shootout = DEFCON 3
Conclusion: Definite difference

So you're saying that all killers and murderers, regardless of how many people they've killed or harmed, deserve the same punshment?
(16-12-2014 09:00 PM)Alcovich Wrote: [ -> ]So you're saying that all killers and murderers, regardless of how many people they've killed or harmed, deserve the same punshment?

I agree with you but I want to add something else.
If someone comes into your house and you kill them in self-defense,according to Emerald,you deserve to be tortured. No matter if you defended yourself,your property and maybe your family.
(16-12-2014 11:30 PM)8hachi8 Wrote: [ -> ]If someone comes into your house and you kill them in self-defense,according to Emerald,you deserve to be tortured. No matter if you defended yourself,your property and maybe your family.

How true.

With that out of the way, I'd like to add an interesting sidenote. The goal of a lot of these terrorist groups (not counting America Smile) is to recruit more jihadists. To do this, they drum up horrible stories about the West, to incite people to extremism and violence. When the U.S. tortures captured terrorist officers for no other reason than for the lulz, it paints us in a bad light and only adds to the terror threat.
As Senator John McCain so eloquently said, "Our enemies act without conscience. We must not."
Reference URL's