Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Changing IRC servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(26-10-2015 01:27 AM)Arty2 Wrote: [ -> ]The activity level of the forum is an entirely unrelated discussion; not sure how that even popped up.

Actually,it's much more relevant than you think. Because people seem to care too much about the chatroom,but they don't care at all about the forums. But we seem to forget that one of the reasons the chatroom survived was some forum users,especially Grim.
I've decided to make a small campaign of advertising the forums on the chatroom,btw.

(26-10-2015 03:55 AM)Miku Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, sure going onto another network would me more traffic for the channel and stuff but what are the chances that we won't get troubling users, that also gives the norfair crew another chance at messing with the chat and in our current server we are friendly with most of the IRCOps

This kinda sums up some of my thoughts. Of course,the Norfair crew MIGHT be avoided if we know the people on the network,but there will definitely be other troublemakers there.

On the other hand,I kinds started to agree with changing server. As Rebecca said,Michele is the only active IRCop. MurderMachine is usually on,but inactive,and Daniel is on,but I have a bad experience with him on LP (not sth important for the ops to take action,but still something I didn't like at all)
I don't really think being in a server with another pokemon channel really matters. Sure LP will be affected by it but it can be either in a good or bad way or both, just like with #spp. We got some good users from it that have been part of our channel for a long time, some of them still being with us but we also got troublesome people that kept us up until morning hours when we had no one to be in charge at night.
Also, being in a server with channels LP has worked with in the past is actually a good idea and it would create a good atmosphere between those channels. That would be great! I looked at those two servers, spent time on them since last night and the first one is pretty good, it has only a few channels though which can change in the future since the activity in #bulbagarden is rather promising. As for the pocketmonsters server, it's not a suitable place for LP to be in as it is a 1 channel server only and that would probably do more bad than good as people would probably not join the server just to visit us, since almost everyone is part of 2 or more channels at the same time. The option to be on 2 or 3 servers at the same time exists but we wouldn't want to make everyone do this and we'd rather be in a strong server with other interesting channels too. Some irc clients also don't support being in more than 1 or 2 servers max without paying so we should avoid that, in my opinion.

Michele

You could find out if gamesurge.net has what you seek.
Its old and used to be quite huge.

They may still be using Undernet style IRC servers and Services, which is not what most in the chat are used to.
I think we're jumping off the ship when assuming what would be convenient to users in regards to IRC clients, multiple servers or multiple channels. This website will continue to offer an online client for users to join the #legendary_pokemon channel, whether or not they visit others channels on multiple tabs or multiple clients is not our concern.

If the case is about making users from other channels joining us, then the argument about moving to a small, friendly server, is null. With that goal in mind, we should move to the largest server possible, provided we have support from the IRCops.

We cannot have an one size fits all solution. It's either a big network with many users that can be attracted to a channel, or a friendly network with helpful operators. It's either about absorbing existing IRC users or bringing in new people.
My vote always has been and always will be for the small/medium sized networks with the friendly nature and helpful staff. I'm sure my reasoning has been made clear in previous posts.
Well, the thing is there are 2 categories of people: The ones that look us up/come straight from this website to visit us and the ones that are already on the server and are interested in joining a new channel for either trading/battling or chat. Currently, there are people coming to the server/channel asking for trades and there's no one to reply to them so we should focus on that as well. We need to have more people interested in the game to achieve that which in my opinion can be easier accomplished if we get some regular members which most of the time belong to the second category. So, the other channels on the server affect #Legendary_Pokemon indirectly.
On the other hand, moving to a big server such as freenode or rizon is a bad idea simply because with so many channels in there, nobody will bother to search the channel list. Medium sized servers are better to both avoid being lost in an ocean of channels or end up in another deserted server.

Candacelee85

Hey guys,

I agree that we should move so we can have more active members. Once before it was eveyday you would log on and you could get help with pokemon you needed to breed or trade with. Get help with questions you have on the game. However now you log on and no one may not say anything for a while and its not helpful

I def think moving is 100% a good idea for new members
(29-10-2015 12:43 AM)Candacelee85 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that we should move so we can have more active members.

The irony is strong with this one.
You're a halfop but you barely come to the chatroom anymore. If you're not active as a halfop,how do you expect others to be active? Sure we need more active members. But if there are no active ops,who will ensure that the chatroom is not just another place where trolls and spammers are welcome?

At this point,we should make an actual vote. There are 2 options on how we can do it:
1)Enable the poll option for this thread
2)Use external websites (such as Strawpoll)

This way we'll have a better view on how many people agree with the server change,rather than who agrees with the server change. If it's gonna be a democratically taken decision,of course.
I don't see the need for a vote at this point, there's a pretty much unanimous favor towards changing servers. The next step is to go ahead with actual suggestions.

In that regard, if anyone wants to suggest a server but fear the channel may be taken, feel free to pre-register #legendary_pokemon for good measure. If the move is decided however, I will have to ask you to transfer ownership to my nickname, for I will need to take the responsibility for linking to it from the website.

My previous suggestions were irc.systemnet.info and irc.pocketmonsters.net. I am heavily leaning towards irc.pocketmonsters.net for the server operators will be able to support our needs fully. Granted we'll be alone with #pocketmonsters but I don't see the lack of other channels as a disadvantage, for what we may lose in plurality of channels, we gain in control.

I'm of the opinion that attempted alliances with other medium to small channels may come and go very easily, but the asset of helpful IRCops weighs too much to brush off.
I figured this is the appropriate thread to post it since it's related to the IRC Channel.

Today was the last day i served as an Operator in the channel.
I've been an Operator for about 3 years and while it was good at first this year was bad.
I've come to a point where i don't want to be involved in arguments/fights anymore.

Anyone saying that i'm leaving the channel cause LP will move from PS is wrong, i would
leave even if LP wouldn't move.
I've stayed till today cause i wanted to help with the giveaway in any way i could.
I'm not sure if the giveaway was a success since i don't know how many pokes were traded
but it was a good chance to help attract new users.

Since the channel will move into a new server, my suggestion is pocketmonsters.net.
Knowing the IRCops for years is a great plus. There is a big difference in knowing IRCops for 10+ years than
knowing IRCops for about a month (or less). It's like friends, you'd probably choose a long time friend
to discuss some problems you may have than a new friend that you only know for a few days/months.

I know that some people may not like it there cause there is only one channel, but the server was made
only to serve that one channel.
If people want to make their own channels then there are a lot of different servers to choose from.
I know that Skorp has said that there are clients without the ability to join 2+ servers at the same time,
but let's face it, the percentage of the clients that are like that is small. Most people nowadays have PCs
or some kind of smartphone (be it expensive or cheap) and can utilise an IRC client with the option
to join multiple servers.

I wish the best to the rest of the OPs and may the channel grow with new (good) users. Smile

P.S I won't reply anymore in this thread. If anyone wants me for something (prefferably with something different than why i left since i'll probably not reply at all) then they can send me a PM.

P.S 2: To the users of the channel, i'm sure most of you have figured out by now (or someone told you about it) that i have a 3ds. I'm sorry that i kept it from you but it's easier saying i don't have a 3ds than saying i have a 3ds but i choose who to add. I hope you respect my choice and sorry for lying. Smile
(02-11-2015 01:39 AM)Grim Ripper Wrote: [ -> ]P.S 2: To the users of the channel, i'm sure most of you have figured out by now (or someone told you about it) that i have a 3ds. I'm sorry that i kept it from you but it's easier saying i don't have a 3ds than saying i have a 3ds but i choose who to add. I hope you respect my choice and sorry for lying. Smile

Welp,I know you won't reply here,but I don't think choosing who to add is bad, as there is a limit on the 3DS. (this is a note to everyone)
If you add everyone,sooner or later,you'll hit the limit (aka 100). So,adding who you want to add is not rude. You don't have to add everyone. It's not your responsibility. If they get offended by that, then it's their problem.
I had hit the limit last year (at least definitely 1-2 months, if not more, before the OR/AS release) So, whenever I wanted to add someone, I had to delete someone else. Besides, the concept of the FCs was to add your friends, not strangers. And a few days ago,someone insulted me for not adding him (and this time,I don't think I was rude at all)

/endofoff-topicpartofmypost

Another suggestion I have (but didn't mention so far) would be to keep the PS channel we have. #spp still exists on PS,so they can inform others on how to find #spp on the other server.
I know your response will be "This will divide the users",but it won't. The PS channel will remain for informing others. Something like "moderated mode,no one has status" and links for the new LP channel everywhere (on the topic and the entry message). This way,people from PS that didn't know this change can visit LP on the new server,as they cannot use LP on PS anymore.
I sort of assumed the PS channel would stay open for that reason, it only makes sense to do that.
Systemnet is definitely bigger than expected. So, my suggestion is Systemnet, despite the trolls (eg: turkeymage) and ridiculous ops from other channels (eg: Quote|a from #bulbagarden). As long as we can make such people not come to LP,it'll be OK.

Also,PLEASE don't even consider making Quote|a an op,if needed. I was about to get kicked because my nickname was too long for his client (my nick was JustAWanderingGuest)
Vulpix on the other hand seemed excited with our arrival. So, he sounds good.

But yeah, LP should move to Systemnet,if we want a medium-sized server.

PS: Before you tell me "new ops are none of our concerns atm",keep in mind that an experienced user like Vulpix (experienced as in being in SystemNet for a while) might bring people they know in our channel.
PS II: I hope I don't regret this suggestion.
After spending some time on both suggested networks (systemnet and pocketmonsters) it is apparent that systemnet is the clear choice, for many reasons. Mostly, the network is an attractive size and the bulbagarden channel is very active and friendly. Also people in that channel seem genuinely excited about our channel potentially moving there. The point of this entire move is to benefit the channel by moving to a place with friendly and cooperative staff and also with an active community. Pocketmonsters cannot provide this as it is simply too small, so small even that registration of usernames is manually done by staff. This alone creates problems. Systemnet has everything we once had on PurpleSurge and more. Bulbagarden is constantly active where pocketmonsters is not, since pocketmonsters is the only channel this says a lot about the network. We don't want to be in another dead network. The set up may work well for PM but it will not for LP because it is simply not providing what we need.

Various people from the channel and all the ops have experienced and discussed both networks. It seems that most if not all are in favour of systemnet.
Well then, we can get it moving within the weekend (I'll be online on Sunday if not earlier) and can add your new nicknames to the access list, so memoserv me for the details Smile
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's