Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Salamence is Uber
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I remember salamence to be 1ko in emerald for rayaquaza's outrage.I think it's not so uber that u think
One of the reasons that mence went to Ubers is that Ice pokemon aren't used enough...
Also,Mence have too many combinations and sets...It is one of the most unpredictable pokemon and with powerful attack,sp.attack,speed stats,it can be a powerful Uber too.

In my opinion,It isn't suitable for OU nor to Ubers...but because there isn't a tier like BL (between UU and OU),Uber is the right tier for it...

But,smogon should have waited for the 5th generation and the decide what to do with mence.....

ps.Who cares???I always use Dragonite Toungue
UU and OU what meansToungue?
UU=UnderUsed OU=OverUsed
Oh ok thank you Smile
Actually,one of the main reasons they made it an uber is his high speed and the combination of his DD and outrage which he uses to OHKO many pokemon.It really can learn a wide variety of strong moves(fire fang,shadow claw,EQ,hydro pump) but it is not unbeatable.Of course you may have problems facing it an a battle but not the problems you would have with a Garchomp(high atk,high speed,SD,ability,focus sash).
Salamence can easily be knocked out with many pokemon's ice beam.I can even kill it with my Ambipom
I'm sorry to say this,but most posts here make no sense at all.
First of all,how many Pokemon can switch directly into Salamence and OHKO it like you're saying?Secondly,how exactly are you going to deal with Mence the moment it comes in?Go to your physical wall?Good luck surviving a Draco Meteor if it it's a MixMence.Go to a Steel type or Blissey to take a Draco Meteor,and have it DD on your face if it happens to be a DDMence.
It was deemed a suspect because of its versatility and effectiveness in weakening the opposing team's defensive core for its team-mates to sweep which equals its ability to sweep if it gets enough time to DD once.Of course,I'm not implying it's unbeatable nor am I saying that I think it should be uber;just pointing out the reasons why it became an uber (according to smogon I mean).
Furthermore,it coupled with Latias over-centralised the metagame around Dragons in two ways.First,a Steel+Dragon (or Dual Steel-Dual Dragon or whatever) core was existant in most if not all teams.Why do you think Scizor has been the number one used Pokemon?The 2nd way in which Mence influenced the metagame is making some Pokemon less viable;in the Suspect ladder without Mence,Heatran became the number 1 used Pokemon,and Pokemon like Shaymin grew in usage by a lot,making a Grass-Fire-Water core more common in the place of a Steel-Dragon one.
Last but not least,sorry to blow your bubble,but performance in Ubers has nothing to do with whether a Pokemon should be an Uber;the Uber list is actually merely a ban-list.
Congrats to everyone who read it till the end.
(19-07-2010 09:15 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry to say this,but most posts here make no sense at all.
First of all,how many Pokemon can switch directly into Salamence and OHKO it like you're saying?Secondly,how exactly are you going to deal with Mence the moment it comes in?Go to your physical wall?Good luck surviving a Draco Meteor if it it's a MixMence.Go to a Steel type or Blissey to take a Draco Meteor,and have it DD on your face if it happens to be a DDMence.
It was deemed a suspect because of its versatility and effectiveness in weakening the opposing team's defensive core for its team-mates to sweep which equals its ability to sweep if it gets enough time to DD once.Of course,I'm not implying it's unbeatable nor am I saying that I think it should be uber;just pointing out the reasons why it became an uber (according to smogon I mean).
Furthermore,it coupled with Latias over-centralised the metagame around Dragons in two ways.First,a Steel+Dragon (or Dual Steel-Dual Dragon or whatever) core was existant in most if not all teams.Why do you think Scizor has been the number one used Pokemon?The 2nd way in which Mence influenced the metagame is making some Pokemon less viable;in the Suspect ladder without Mence,Heatran became the number 1 used Pokemon,and Pokemon like Shaymin grew in usage by a lot,making a Grass-Fire-Water core more common in the place of a Steel-Dragon one.
Last but not least,sorry to blow your bubble,but performance in Ubers has nothing to do with whether a Pokemon should be an Uber;the Uber list is actually merely a ban-list.

IDK how to respond to this, really.

If you read my post in the first page, you'll understand, what happens if i bring out Tyranitar to bring down a Blissey, or a wall, or anything, (and of course since most of the Tyranitars are DD Tyranitars, i'll DD first), DD + Stone Edge = wall-breaking, the foe brings out Salamence to try to take down Tyranitar but boom, Salamence can't outspeed Tyranitar since its a DD'd Tyranitar, so, Stone Edge or Crucnh and Salamence is down.

That's of course just one example, there is also Kingdra in Rain teams, with access to Ice Beam and Swift Swim, its un-stoppable by Salamence.
And it continues to surprise me that the fandom completely ignores any official rules, making up their own; imagine everyone playing PTCG or YuGiOh with custom rules.
(19-07-2010 11:14 PM)sweet-devil Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-07-2010 09:15 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry to say this,but most posts here make no sense at all.

IDK how to respond to this, really.

If you read my post in the first page, you'll understand, what happens if i bring out Tyranitar to bring down a Blissey, or a wall, or anything, (and of course since most of the Tyranitars are DD Tyranitars, i'll DD first), DD + Stone Edge = wall-breaking, the foe brings out Salamence to try to take down Tyranitar but boom, Salamence can't outspeed Tyranitar since its a DD'd Tyranitar, so, Stone Edge or Crucnh and Salamence is down.

That's of course just one example, there is also Kingdra in Rain teams, with access to Ice Beam and Swift Swim, its un-stoppable by Salamence.

First of all,DDTTar is not the most widespread variety if my memory serves me right.
Secondly,no good player will switch Mence on TTar;this however does not mean TTar can switch on Mence directly,EQ is a 2HKO,either Outrage or EQ KOes at +1.
Thirdly,your arguments are very specific;nobody is going to use Mence like this.

(19-07-2010 11:40 PM)Arty2 Wrote: [ -> ]And it continues to surprise me that the fandom completely ignores any official rules, making up their own; imagine everyone playing PTCG or YuGiOh with custom rules.

Nintendo hasn't really made enough to promote the official rules;doubles are not as full of different stuff as they should,plus singles have been around longer.Lately however the VGC metagame is rising in popularity;simulators including doubles will help even more.
I can see the debate here. Overall, I agree with smogon. Salamence is a tinge to powerful for its own good. In the early days of DP, there was a division in the Dragons that kept them apart. Back then, Salamence had Dragon Dance, but no Outrage. Garchomp had Outrage, but no Dragon Dance. Dragonite had both, but was significantly slower. With Platinum, this division was null and void. Outrage was the reason people used Dragonite. Now, Salamence has equal damage to the lovable fat dragon and more Speed, and thanks to DD it was ready to all but replace Garchomp. And it still boasts the best Draco Meteor of any Dragon (tied with Lati@s).

Dragonite is still my favorite of the 3 (I mean, just look at how lovable it is), but Salamence is just too powerful in my eyes. The fact the Garchomp was raised to Uber while Salamence still terrorizes OU is... strange really. I still feel DD Mence is much more dangerous than any Garchomp (Scarfed or otherwise).

The main problem is Salamence, much like Garchomp, simply finds itself arguably overpowered in OU yet mostly inferior to Rayquaza, thus not a great choice for Uber. Scizor is fine (seriously, has ANYONE heard of Torkoal, Blastoise, or Slowbro (avoiding a Bug move)?). My best answer to Salamence is that it simply needs restriction. Teams really should be constrained to a max of one poke with a BST of 600. *sigh* I'm going off the point.

I will still fight Salamence as OU, but I won't like it.
what i dont understand is why i have to change my team every time...I had to replace garchomp and now salamence....

the only reason they do it is to piss me off....

end...
Simple solution? Get a Lapras, STABed IceBeam and high HP just in case Smile
Or get a starme with ice beam which outspeeds salamence.
And switch it into Mence while it uses DD and now out-speeds you,or let it switch into a Blissey and gain momentum Wink.It's not invincible but it's still much better than most standard Pokemon.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's