Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Autumn Friendly Tournament 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(08-10-2011 11:48 AM)Ninjomewtwo Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, singles are way different from doubles, what's good in one type of battle isn't necessarily good in the other and vice versa. For example, I'd never use Ferrothorn in doubles, especially when Chandelure and Volcarona can spam Heat Wave. Also, don't rule out some Pokémon because they aren't OU. Musharna can set Trick Room and use Helping Hand while avoiding damage from your Earthquake, Surf and Explosion with the Telepathy ability. Liepard is the fastest Fake Out user. Krookodile, who is outclassed by Excadrill and Landorus in singles, is excellent in doubles because of Intimidate and STAB Crunch to hit all those Trick Roomers. Golurk has immunities to Fighting and Electric and a resistance to Rock which is great to have for doubles. My point is you don't have to limit yourself to the 10 Pokémon that are good in singles, try to think of a team strategy even if it involves some of the "weaker" Pokémon.

Yes i know that is a bit of a problem.........now i'm limited down to

Jellicent
Thundurus
and whatever pkmn i get from giorgosss.........Confused

Although i still have some non flawless pkmn as well.........

Carracosta
Excadrill
Chandelure (does not have heat wave)
Haxorus
Reuniclus

but they all have awful ivs.........
^ The Scrafty, Hydreigon and Mienshao you mentioned are actually great in doubles, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use them, I'm just saying that you shouldn't forget about the "weaker" Pokémon.
Can the Pokemon in the battle box be changed at any time?
Yes,there is an option in the PC which lets you change it whenever you want.
so........how about

Mienshao and Hydreigon for lead (i forgot to mention the hydreigons set is U-Turn
Draco meteor
Fire blast
Focus blast Confused)

Scrafty , Jellicent , Reuniclus and........Escavalier?
(08-10-2011 03:10 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]Can the Pokemon in the battle box be changed at any time?

I think that once the tour begins, no changes to your team can be done.

@Kingnothing412
Most strategies seem good theoritically but you have to try them in real situation to see how they actually perform. You can try various teams and playstyles in practice baattles to see which is better against what. And as NM2 said, there are some surprisingly good Pokémon in the less popular tiers.
Well I might as well sign up after all. Also silly me didn't realise that I actualy DO have decent pokemon from Gen V. Volcarona, Jellicent, Scrafty, Mienshao, Chandelure, Golurk, Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, Reuniclus and Archeops. I also have a Sawsbuck, but it's a sun sweeper set = no speed EVs. Bad thing is only Volcarona, Jellicent, Sawsbuck and Ferrothorn have decent IVs. So I thought that starting with Volcarona and Scrafty would be good. They would use Quiver dance and Dragon dance on the first turn and then proceed to sweep. Due to how often we will be seeing Rock slide, Volcarona will have a focus sash. If they fail they will be followed by Jellicent, thanks to whom I have won millions of battles and Reuniclus, with Trick room. Both Jellicent and Reuniclus are slow pokemon, so providing the other two are gone it could work wonders. As for the other 2 backup members I guess Archeops for his Earthquake and Rock slide, followed by a STAB, flying gem boosted Acrobatics could be great. Lastly, because Hydreigon's set is silly (Surf, Flamethrower, U-turn, Dragon pulse.) I'd use Mienshao or Chandelure, but seeing as I already have Bug, Fighting and Rock I'll go with a scarfed Chandelure. I haven't decided all the items because I need to know if:

P.S. Do we know if the tournament has item clause?

@Kingnothing: Not sure on your Hydreigon set... 3/4 moves can miss and if he/she is your last Pokemon against a weakend enemy.... The foe's XY avoided the attack! The foe's XY used Ice beam! It's super effective! Hydreigon fainted! Maybe switch focus blast to surf? It would pair up nicely with Jellicent too. Also, what is the set on Scrafty and Reuniclus?
(09-10-2011 12:21 AM)Vezok78 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I might as well sign up after all. Also silly me didn't realise that I actualy DO have decent pokemon from Gen V. Volcarona, Jellicent, Scrafty, Mienshao, Chandelure, Golurk, Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, Reuniclus and Archeops. I also have a Sawsbuck, but it's a sun sweeper set = no speed EVs. Bad thing is only Volcarona, Jellicent, Sawsbuck and Ferrothorn have decent IVs. So I thought that starting with Volcarona and Scrafty would be good. They would use Quiver dance and Dragon dance on the first turn and then proceed to sweep. Due to how often we will be seeing Rock slide, Volcarona will have a focus sash. If they fail they will be followed by Jellicent, thanks to whom I have won millions of battles and Reuniclus, with Trick room. Both Jellicent and Reuniclus are slow pokemon, so providing the other two are gone it could work wonders. As for the other 2 backup members I guess Archeops for his Earthquake and Rock slide, followed by a STAB, flying gem boosted Acrobatics could be great. Lastly, because Hydreigon's set is silly (Surf, Flamethrower, U-turn, Dragon pulse.) I'd use Mienshao or Chandelure, but seeing as I already have Bug, Fighting and Rock I'll go with a scarfed Chandelure. I haven't decided all the items because I need to know if:

P.S. Do we know if the tournament has item clause?

@Kingnothing: Not sure on your Hydreigon set... 3/4 moves can miss and if he/she is your last Pokemon against a weakend enemy.... The foe's XY avoided the attack! The foe's XY used Ice beam! It's super effective! Hydreigon fainted! Maybe switch focus blast to surf? It would pair up nicely with Jellicent too. Also, what is the set on Scrafty and Reuniclus?

Great team vezok it sounds good.I think it will be successful.

Now about my scrafty and reuniclus.........

I just realized giorgosss's reuniclus is bold and i need a quiet one........Confused So if i want to use trick room i'll have to use this:

[Image: rankurusu.png]
Reuniclus
Eldena's reuniclus
OT: Eldena
Fully redis

Nature: Quiet
Abilities: Magic Guard
19/7/21/19/14/1
Ev's: 194 HP/64 Def/252 SpA

Moves:
Shadow ball
Focus blast
Trick room
Psychic

Which i am not going to use due to terrible ivs.........Confused

now the scrafty is careful , evs 250 hp/252 spD/8 speed , Flawless (all 31) With Crunch , Bulk up , Drain punch and taunt.(Ability: Shed skin)

Also.........I didn't mention my untrained brave nature nearly flawless golurk.............And what other pkmn are good in dounles? Emboar? Gigalith?Crustle?Drudigon?Haxorus?Bisharp?
(09-10-2011 12:21 AM)Vezok78 Wrote: [ -> ]They would use Quiver dance and Dragon dance on the first turn and then proceed to sweep.

Don't do that, don't set up with both Pokémon. This means you spend an entire turn without attacking or defending, your opponent can just use two attacks that hit both Pokémon and KO both of them (Thundurus-Discharge/Krooko-EQ or Hydreigon-Surf/Jellicent-Water Spout). Scrafty can learn Fake Out, take advantage of it. Fake Out the Pokémon that threatens Volcarona the most while Volcarona uses Quiver Dance for example. That way you're going to have a guaranteed boost rather than two uncertain ones.

(09-10-2011 12:21 AM)Vezok78 Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Do we know if the tournament has item clause?

I haven't seen such a rule but since VGC had the item clause on, I'd expect the same. Try putting two Pokémon with the same item in the Battle Box and see what happens, I haven't tried myself. Toungue

(09-10-2011 12:21 AM)Vezok78 Wrote: [ -> ]@Kingnothing: Not sure on your Hydreigon set... 3/4 moves can miss and if he/she is your last Pokemon against a weakend enemy

That's true, I wouldn't use any move with an accuracy below 90% in doubles. If you miss in singles, you'll receive a hit. If you miss in doubles, you may receive two and chances are you won't survive them.
Well your first note NM2 actualy solved the item clause problemToungue. I'll replace Scrafty with Mienshao who knows Fake out and doesn't need setting up nor Leftovers. I'll make her hold Wide lens though, I HATE missing and I'll have to moves that can miss. Also another thing I didn't quite understand: Will it be like Random Matchup, where you have 6 Pokemon, yet choose 4, or you'll use all 6?
Also need 1 more advice: Fiery dance or Heat wave on Volcarona? Heat wave has imperfect accuracy but can hit both enemies, while fiery dance can give me a nice boost. So this is the team as of now, supposing item clause is there:

Volcarona @Focus Sash
Timid(+Spe, -Atk)
Flame Body
4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Psychic(couldn't get HP Ground/RockUndecided)
Fiery Dance/Heat Wave

Mienshao @Wide lens
Hasty(+Spe, -Def)[Don't ask Toungue]
Regenerator
252 Atk, 4 SpAtk{This was originally a Hidden power set}, 252 Spe
Hi Jump Kick
U-turn
Stone Miss
Fake out

Jellicent @Leftovers
Calm(+SpDef, -Atk)
Water absorb
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Scald
W-O-W
Taunt
Recover

Reuniclus @Life Orb
Quiet(+SpA, -Spe)
Magic Guard
Phychic(maybe I'll change to Physhock?)
Shadow Ball
Focus Miss
Trick room/Recover(?)/Calm mind(?)

Archeops @Flying gem
Adamant(+Atk, -SpAtk)(Still faster than most stuff in Unova)
Defeatist Sad Sad Sad
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Acrobatics
Crunch/???

Options for 5th member:

Chandelure @Choice Scarf
Timid
Flash Fire
4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Flamethrower/Fire blast(?)
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Phychic/Psyshock } For the surprise factor

Golurk @???
Adamant
Iron Fist
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Atk
Shadow Punch
Earthquake
Substitute/???
Focus punch/???

Now about thse two. Chandelure is, unfortunately, a special sweeper and this team has enough of those. However he could greatly help. Golurk on the otehr hand could be great, but the current set is horrible in Doubles. I mean, how do you set up a Sub and then use Focus Punch with TWO enemies?

@Kingnothing: Flawless Ivs mean nothing. Personally I only breed my Pokemon so IVs vary between 2-4 31's bepending on my needs. And even with that I never had trouble bringing down flawless pokes. So, use what will promote your strategy, for strategy wins 90% of the time.

EDIT: Sorry for crazy long post!
Just a quick note, I wouldn't use HJK on Mienshao. protect is everywhere in doubles.
Very true, so would Jump kick do it better? 1/8th of HP recoil isn't quite as bad as 1/2nd.
(09-10-2011 04:29 PM)Vezok78 Wrote: [ -> ]Stone Miss
Focus Miss

I like this guy, he knows what he's talking about. Toungue

First, Protect is very important in doubles. I'd remove Volcarona's Psychic and Reuniclus's Focus Miss for Protect. Volcarona doesn't need a 3rd offensinve move for coverage, there are no Heatran or Dragon/Flying Pokémon in Unova. As for Mienshao, definitely change Stone Miss to Rock Slide, hits both opponents and Mienshao is quite fast, you've got a nice chance of flinching them. Also consider Wide Guard, it shuts down Hydreigon and Jellicent's Water moves which are super effective on Volcarona. The Jellicent set you're using is mostly for single battles, I don't really like Taunt or Recover in doubles, especially on a slow Pokémon. Consider Shadow Ball and Ice Beam, and maybe Surf/Water Spout over Scald. Reuniclus and Archeops seem fine to me. About Golurk, give it a Ghost Gem, it OHKOs almost all Psychics and Ghosts with a boosted Shadow Punch. If you're planning to use Trick Room, use Hammer Arm, otherwise Rock Slide. Also Protect over Substitute.
Hmm Jellicent in double doesn't seem like such a good idea after all. Since U-turn doesn't seem like it'll help a lot shall I switch that one with Wide guard? About Reuniclus and his Focus blast, however, it can't just be removed so easily. Without it Reuniclus can do anything to things like Escavalier and Gigalith. Since the team isn't very trick roomy I'll just take that one out for protect. As a result of this I guess Golurk will have these moves: Earthquake, Rock slide, Shadow punch and protect I guess. Also... how about I use Hammer arm on the last slot AND a Choice Band? It could really hurt unprepared teams. Perhaps if I replace Jellicent with Scrafty as another physical sweeper? Bah, stupid Jellicent needing another set in doubles >.< Oh also I have Braviary with good IVs and Galvantula with FAIL Ivs. Could either of these help? Thanks for the tips!

EDIT: I liked the Focus/Stone Miss thing and made it a sig xD
@ Vezok (post 25) I would swich archeops with starmie if i were you..........it would make a nice pair with jellicent.I have one so if you want it tell me.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's