Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Yu-Gi-Oh! Competitive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's been a long time since Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG and anime made their appearance and they were quite popular. Back at the day we -little kiddos who barely knew what strategy meant- used to play the TCG (often by paying no attention to the rules of the game, like Fussion Summoning a monster without a Fusion). Then other trends showed up, and Yu-Gi-Oh! started to become less popular...
Had I been asked approximately 6 months ago what my opinion about the TCG was, I'd say it's something for kids (meh). But now I've found myself reliving those glories of the past and started playing anew. But now it's totally different; only now can I appreciate the depth this game has to offer and by no means does it look like a childish game.
It all started when I played Yu-Gi-Oh! 2004 GBA. I've had this game for ages, but I didn't really like it. One day though I thought I'd go through it again to kill my time. Now I'm addicted. I unlocked all opponents, won them and think about different strategies all the time. (Kind of a bad timing, now that I'm in the middle of some serious work)

Anyway, the game has undergone dramatic changes since 2004 with the introduction of Xyz, Synchro and new strategies. I wish I keeped up with them, but no need to whine. I'm gradually learning more and more things about what -in Pokemon-related terms- I would call the metagame.

In this thread, we discuss anything about the TCG. From strategies and advice to events and even matches.
I will post later about what I' ve been thinking of lately. The stage is yours, kittens! (I hope we have some Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG fans here)
Coz the next Banlist is underway, I shall mention my predictions:

Ban:
Mind Ctrl (Xyz/Synchro Material for free)
Five-Headed Dragon (Without target, Future Fusion will be useless in Chaos Dragons & thus, slow them down)
Wind-Up Hunter (Wind-Up Loop)

Limit:
Evolzar Laggia (This is a Xyz Solemn Judgment with 2400 ATK)
Rescue Cat (Almost every deck now runs x3 Veilers, x2 Fiendish Chains, Skill Drains etc. Not a big deal)
Wind-Up Zenmaighty (Same reason with Hunter)
Inzektor Dragonfly (This is responsible for the broken Loop Inzektors can do)
Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon (Staple in Dragon decks like Chaos Dragons & Hieratics (They OTK with him))
Summoner Monk (Coz of Cat)
Tsukuyomi (Not that broken anymore...)
Snoww, Unlight of Dark World (DW's ROTA in a nutshell)

Semi:
Lightpulsar Dragon (Kay card in Chaos Dragons)
Miracle Fusion (HERO Decks top very often in OCG)
T.G. Striker (T.G. see no use at all, except for Anti-Meta variants)
Agent of Mystery - Earth (Agents are pretty much dead now)
Mezuki (Zombies = DEAD Sad )
Black Whirlwind (Same here for BW)
Rescue Rabbit (To slow down Dino Rabbits)

Unlimited:
Destiny Draw (D Heroes need some boost now)

Btw, I play Yugi for 9 years & I know the game pretty well. I also have tons of cards & a Youtube Channel with Trabe Binder videos. PM me for trades! Wink
I knew this forum has its Yu-gi-oh players. It justs fits perfectly.

Being an old-timer and an inexperienced player, I run sets with old cards (those that I know of) that might not prove themselves to be competitive at all. Anyway, I have made a Gravity Bind deck. The only way I inflict damage is by combining Fire Princess' effect (Pyro/ Effect: Each time you increase your own Life Points, inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent's life points.) with cards like Marie the Fallen One (as long as she exists in the Graveyard, you gain 200 LPs during each of your standy phases), Cure Mermaid and use flip-effect monsters that can return to face-down defense position each of your own main phases, like swarm of scarabs, locusts and the guard sphinx.

Evaluate and propose stuff, people.
Yeah, I had that game! Sadly it has less than 2000 cards(1000 or 1700 can't remember well) when today there are more than 4000 or 4500 and new ones keep coming everyday.
Some of the cards you mentioned are still being played on decks called Burn Decks.Burn decks rely on effect instead of battle damage.They are slow as you usually deal 800-1500 LP damage per turn but way effective if you know how to use them properly.You need to stop opponent attacks that's why you mix it with a stall deck.

Tsuzuku...
Stall cards prevents your opponent from attacking.Stall cards and strategies is imo the only way you can play a burn deck effectively. I.e 2× Solar Flare dragon is a good choice and MUST be in a burn deck(just like Gravity Bind and maybe Limit Area cards). A burn deck should have many trap cards(10-15 imo) to deal damage such as Ceasefire.
Also, prefer making 40 card decks instead of putting 60 cards in a pile cause you'll never draw what you want.
Are Ice Barriers a good set to work with? There are many archetypes (which I haven't studied), but one has to start from somewhere, right? Though I 've never seen anyone playing with Ice Barriers, so it may not be such a great idea.

Anyway, is using archetypes the best way to go? Or just combine effects from irrelevant monsters, good old-fashioned style? But I still don't know where I should start searching.

EDIT: On second thought, dragons seem nice. Just saw King Dragun... But I wish I used something more inovative. Dragons are widely used allready.

In other news, Yu-Gi-Oh! Online Duel Accelerator is closing. I wonder why; you still had to buy cards, so it must have been profitable for Konami. Although I wouldn't really want to buy virtual cards. I'd buy the real deal instead.
(26-07-2012 10:11 AM)herooftime Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, is using archetypes the best way to go? Or just combine effects from irrelevant monsters, good old-fashioned style? But I still don't know where I should start searching.

E-Heroes. They must be one of the 1st archetypes ever released & they're pretty broken. Give them a shot. Wink

Quote:In other news, Yu-Gi-Oh! Online Duel Accelerator is closing. I wonder why; you still had to buy cards, so it must have been profitable for Konami. Although I wouldn't really want to buy virtual cards. I'd buy the real deal instead.

Because of this:
http://www.duelingnetwork.com/

& yea. Konami is a bunch of money grabbing whores... sadly.
(26-07-2012 10:57 AM)Chaos714 Wrote: [ -> ]E-Heroes. They must be one of the 1st archetypes ever released & they're pretty broken. Give them a shot. Wink
Do you mean Destiny Heroes? I' ve seen many people play with those. Gladiator Beasts are common too.

Quote:In other news, Yu-Gi-Oh! Online Duel Accelerator is closing. I wonder why; you still had to buy cards, so it must have been profitable for Konami. Although I wouldn't really want to buy virtual cards. I'd buy the real deal instead.

Because of this:

[/quote]
You kinda picked my interest. What is the dueling network anyway? Its site itself fails to explain to noobs like me what that thing is. From what I can tell, it must be a simulator. But please explain me more. Wink
(26-07-2012 11:31 AM)herooftime Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-07-2012 10:57 AM)Chaos714 Wrote: [ -> ]E-Heroes. They must be one of the 1st archetypes ever released & they're pretty broken. Give them a shot. Wink
Do you mean Destiny Heroes? I' ve seen many people play with those. Gladiator Beasts are common too.

Because of this:

You kinda picked my interest. What is the dueling network anyway? Its site itself fails to explain to noobs like me what that thing is. From what I can tell, it must be a simulator. But please explain me more. Wink

[/quote]

* You can play Absolute Zero, which relies on D-Heroes & WATER monsters in order to Summon the kay card of the deck, E-Hero Absolute Zero. It's a pretty fun deck.
* Yea. DN is a free & non-downloadable dueling simulator. It's pretty easy to use tho.
E-Heroes are Elemental Heroes. Not Destiny Heroes. Watch a few GX episodes to get the idea Toungue
Nevermind, they are monsters that can fuse themselves. Well, not every e-hero can fuse with any e-hero but there are many fusion combinations.
Key field spell card: Skyscraper
Although I like Elemental Heroes a lot, they are not that effective against other decks.

Now for Ice Barriers...
Numero Uno most played synchro monster: Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
together with Trishula before getting banned.

Dueling Network is a site where you can make decks (no need to buy the cards) and duel other people. You only need to make an account.The best yugioh site so far. I'm not sure if you can still register. Only "drawback" is that you have to make everything manually like you duel in real life meaning you have to removed used cards/destroyed monster yourself from the field, draw from deck/graveyard, use effects and add or substract LP.
Former Yu-Gi-Oh player here. I quit the game because the Tier 1 Decks have become too straight-forward and you were nearly unable to compete with a Tier 2 Deck. I also didn't want to take part in feeding that money whore known as Konami. I've noticed the following trend: Konami does something greedy (Rarity bumps, broken TCG Exclusives, That one ruling with Xyz and Sangan), people rage and threaten to quit the game. Konami reprints something, people start worshiping the company like it is some kind of god.

/end of rant
You need skill to make a good deck after all.And by good I don't necessarily mean LS,BW,etc.

As for Xyz monsters, it's not something you can count on.
Sangan is forbidden.
(30-07-2012 11:12 PM)skorp Wrote: [ -> ]You need skill to make a good deck after all.And by good I don't necessarily mean LS,BW,etc.

As for Xyz monsters, it's not something you can count on.
Sangan is forbidden.

Compared to what runs the meta right now, LS and BW are pretty tame.

Again, the metagame begs to differ. Most of the meta decks have Xyz as the backbone of their strategy.

And Sangan is limited.
So, I was looking at the list of limited/ forbidden cards and didn't see Upstart Goblin. Plus, I think Exodia isn't forbidden. OTK deck? It takes a lot of effort to counter it.

Upstart Goblin x 55
Exodia Parts x 1 each

???

In case of authenticity and validity, I claim the rights of this set. Do not steal Toungue
Can't you have 3 copies of one card at most? Toungue
That was what I thought when my bro told me you could have unlimited copies of cards that aren't in the limited/ forbidden list... He insisted he was right.

Turns out that I was deceived after all... Dodgy

The official Rulebook says so. You can have a maximum of three copies of the same card. And there I thought I had conceived an almost unbeatable strategy... which wasn't strategic at all!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's