Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Legendary Pokémon: The reboot.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This very website started off pretty much as a child's play. I've acquired numerous useful skills during these years, spent countless hours of irreplaceable time on it, and also through the microcosm it actually is, learnt a lot about life as well.

I'd like to thank the comrades and friends —past and present— whose personal work and moral support made Legendary Pokémon possible: Johnny, Eraleas, Blue, NM2, Serebii and my sister. I owe a big thanks as well, towards the community that survived in our forums. We should also thank The Pokémon Inc. for both their intellectual property and tolerance.

However, I've unfortunately made a mistake: I thought that I'd always be around. I've actually said that “I'll never be like Pokémaster Kevin”; I'm sure few will get the reference. It appears that throughout the years, Legendary Pokémon was raised like a spoilt kind of pet, so intertwined with me that it wouldn't survive alone. Poetic as it may sound it's actually true, the backend is a heavily customized abandoned blog platform, coupled with hundreds of lines of undocumented Pokédex code; but I was a kid learning how to code, right? You should always facilitate contribution and open source the hell of the things you do.

Sometimes things cannot be fixed, but taking care of plants has also taught me that you should never abandon the things you love, no matter how hard it is to nurture them back to life. Therefore what Legendary Pokémon needs is a reboot, not a fix. People's interest has swifted towards social media, The Pokémon Inc. is actually a decent news source nowadays, communities in the fandom that have overspecialized are staple and volume of information is nothing we can compete against. We don't need to compete, we just want to complement.

I believe we need a new niche, coupled with a basic Pokédex perhaps (though that would require tons of work) and swift news reporting. That niche should be unique and quality —episodic perhacs— content: articles, guides, interviews, comic strips, fan fiction and reviews that do not reproduce existing information. More like a magazine, written by fans, for fans.

The reboot process will be long, tedious; requires a lot of work on my behalf to make this site independent. It will take months, maybe a year. Most importantly however, it requires your participation: we need your quality thoughts, your insight. In return what we all get is contentment and the feeling of belonging; c'est la vie. Fandom ethics and Intellectual Property laws dictate that we shouldn't make profit out of it anyway.

What could you contribute? What should we do better different than the rest? What would you like in a Pokémon-related website?
Why no thanks to me? Sad Toungue

Ok let me be a little more serious. Since nobody else is posting here (they are obviously busy in the spam corner Toungue) I 'll try to post some thoughts.

First of all, like you said, the site needs more original content. The Origins and Elements series are a good example of this; they surely require a lot of work, but they are very interesting, at least for me.

If some people volunteered to write some good articles, we would have a good start.

Article series would probably also help make people visit the site more regularly, compared to "one-off" articles.

I was also thinking about interviews last night (which you mention in your post, but I failed to notice yesterday).

A very interesting thing is how people will be able to cooperate on articles like you want in order to keep their quality high.

What I would like to see (like I told you yesterday) is a "unification" of the main page and the forums. By this I mean that every post in the main page is automatically also made as a thread, so that comments on the main page and forum posts are shown together. Visitor comments could possibly be enabled, but requiring confirmation by the mods (although this would make things a little confused for the forum threads, since the timing of the posts and comments might be disrupted).

Last but not least (for now), I think we need some TCG content. I believe the timing is right now (compared to a few years ago when Billaros and NM2 wanted to write some guides), because there are a few new players in Greece lately. Although we would have to "compete" with Facebook for that.

Well that's all for the time being, thanks for taking the time to read all of this (if you did Toungue ).
(17-05-2013 01:58 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]Why no thanks to me? Sad Toungue

Ok let me be a little more serious. Since nobody else is posting here (they are obviously busy in the spam corner Toungue) I 'll try to post some thoughts.

First of all, like you said, the site needs more original content. The Origins and Elements series are a good example of this; they surely require a lot of work, but they are very interesting, at least for me.

If some people volunteered to write some good articles, we would have a good start.

Article series would probably also help make people visit the site more regularly, compared to "one-off" articles.

I was also thinking about interviews last night (which you mention in your post, but I failed to notice yesterday).

A very interesting thing is how people will be able to cooperate on articles like you want in order to keep their quality high.

What I would like to see (like I told you yesterday) is a "unification" of the main page and the forums. By this I mean that every post in the main page is automatically also made as a thread, so that comments on the main page and forum posts are shown together. Visitor comments could possibly be enabled, but requiring confirmation by the mods (although this would make things a little confused for the forum threads, since the timing of the posts and comments might be disrupted).

Last but not least (for now), I think we need some TCG content. I believe the timing is right now (compared to a few years ago when Billaros and NM2 wanted to write some guides), because there are a few new players in Greece lately. Although we would have to "compete" with Facebook for that.

Well that's all for the time being, thanks for taking the time to read all of this (if you did Toungue ).

I aggree with GS on the interview part, it would be something new and exciting for some of us, of course when we/you will interview people from all over the world and both in Pokemon Video Games and Pokemon TCG.

And i about the TCG part it would be good to have articles in new decks/booster packs and older deck, and since Pokemon TCG started to grow again in greece it would be good to translate some articles found in PTCG sites like Six Prizes and The Deckout (i'm willing to translate them as accuratelly as i can).
I think interviews would be a great asset to the site, as there really haven't been many other than by major outlets. These interviews could be of many different people - collectors, players, TPCi, Nintendo, etc.

As far as TCG goes, that definitely seems to be a section of the franchise undergoing a change in userbase with competitive players. I'd love to help with this if possible, as I've got a non-conventional TCG database in the works that would help bring in visitors if it were brought here.

The other main thing that would really be great for the site is a unique type of site. No matter how much each fan site says they are unique, most still use a cookie-cutter structure: news, forums, a Pokédex, and reference information for each game. Instead, I think there does need to be a new type of site. The online magazine idea encompasses a lot of that, but I feel there's even more that can be done. I'm not sure what quite yet, but I'm sure there's something big yet to be utilized in the Pokémon fandom.
First welcome to the forum immewnity Smile

Second i told a friend i have about the LP: Reboot and he is interested into writing articles for TCG

Third about the magazine idea, we could "publish" in that the interviews/tcg articles a bit about strategy either how to beat a gym leader or strategies about competitive play.
(18-05-2013 01:08 AM)Grim Ripper Wrote: [ -> ]First welcome to the forum immewnity Smile

Second i told a friend i have about the LP: Reboot and he is interested into writing articles for TCG

Third about the magazine idea, we could "publish" in that the interviews/tcg articles a bit about strategy either how to beat a gym leader or strategies about competitive play.

Hahaha, thanks for the welcome! I think I had an account on here a long time back, but I can't remember my login.

I think the articles idea is good, as SixPrizes has been doing very well with that. Speaking of SixPrizes, I like the translation idea, but approval would have to be gotten from Adam and the article writer. Plus, with SixPrizes Underground being a paid-for service, I don't think that would fly very well.
Thanks for participating immewnity; indeed permission should be for translating any content from third parties.

Quote:Instead, I think there does need to be a new type of site. The online magazine idea encompasses a lot of that, but I feel there's even more that can be done. I'm not sure what quite yet, but I'm sure there's something big yet to be utilized in the Pokémon fandom.

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to keep my focus on :)
Of course we need permission and of course we wouldn't translate the undrerground articles but the easiest thing to get permission to translate is from The Deckout writer Esa, it's his blog so i think that's easier to get a permission to translate some articles into greek.
Articles we wrote probably will be in english so everyone can read them.
I'd really like to help but for the next year I'd be really busy. I'll try my best though. So, recently I saw the articles on pokejungle about the origins of some pokemon and their characteristics as if they were animals. I believe it was a great idea. The same goes for the Element articles. I suppose for a start this would be really good. As a community, some of us could voluntarily write them. Every month for example.

Also, most of LP's member have many pokemon spin off games. It would be interesting if we made a presentation for each one of them or for each series. Not a review, but an organised article about them consisting of gameplay mechanics, impressions, advices.

Moreover, I think that we should continue the Hellenic Pokemon wiki, but with translations from Bulbapedia. I don't know if many members can help on that, as Bulbapedia has a lot of articles, but progressively we could make a really good wiki. It's not different or unique but it's something I guess.

1. So, as we know, pretty words alone won't change anything. Apart from news, we could post about the manga as well. I believe Grim-Ripper and I are ok for this job, but, since it's huge, more manga lovers should do the trick.
  2. Secondly, I'm ****** shouting for an Android app which will allow us to view the site as well as the forums(Take a look at Android Central app in the Play Store. They've done a tremendous work.) Even Pokemon Millennium has one. WTF is Pokemon Millennium?
  3. The mechanism of the news posts should be like this: Author-->Editor--->Another Editor--->Heck why not? ANOTHER EDITOR--->Voila! Or something like that. Toungue Toungue Toungue
  4. Reviews and other sh*t.
  5. Interviews with members. We could ask what they think of RNG and other stuff.

(take a look at xda We could do sth like that as well.)
(18-05-2013 08:20 PM)fr3quency Wrote: [ -> ]
  1. So, as we know, pretty words alone won't change anything. Apart from news, we could post about the manga as well. I believe Grim-Ripper and I are ok for this job, but, since it's huge, more manga lovers should do the trick.
  2. Secondly, I'm ****** shouting for an Android app which will allow us to view the site as well as the forums(Take a look at Android Central app in the Play Store. They've done a tremendous work.) Even Pokemon Millennium has one. WTF is Pokemon Millennium?
  3. The mechanism of the news posts should be like this: Author-->Editor--->Another Editor--->Heck why not? ANOTHER EDITOR--->Voila! Or something like that. Toungue Toungue Toungue
  4. Reviews and other sh*t.
  5. Interviews with members. We could ask what they think of RNG and other stuff.

(take a look at xda We could do sth like that as well.)
This sounds like it'll be really nice.
What does RNG stand for and what is it's purpose?
Another idea. Podcast? Pogheymanz music and shit. But come on, most of us are Greeks and speaking English on a weekly basis is a p.i.t.a.
(18-05-2013 08:20 PM)fr3quency Wrote: [ -> ][*]Secondly, I'm ****** shouting for an Android app which will allow us to view the site as well as the forums(Take a look at Android Central app in the Play Store. They've done a tremendous work.) Even Pokemon Millennium has one. WTF is Pokemon Millennium?

That's off the table actually, unfortunately our name includes Pokémon in its name and that would be an intellectual property breach. We ought to stay within the safe areas of the gray-zone fansites live in. What is more, I really don't see the purpose in a browser skin; a proper responsive design, sure.

Your other ideas are interesting though, and there's a good vibe of positive ideas evolving in the thread :)

PS. Of course we should stick to being a bilingual website, nurturing the Greek Pokémon community is still important; podcasts could very well be in Greek.
Point taken for Pokémon. 1,3,4,5 and 6 are really awesome ideas imho.

But what does reboot mean? I'm saying... We have all those ideas, but I believe they represent the OUTER layer. But what about under the hood? Shouldn't you do something about that? I'm talking about HTML5 and other stuff, which, I believe, you know waaaaay better than I do.
(18-05-2013 08:26 PM)grassdragon Wrote: [ -> ]What does RNG stand for and what is it's purpose?

Random Number Generator
Purpose?
Catch/Breed Pokemons with perfect IVs and shiny Pokemon without hacking and without spending hours/days/weeks to catch/breed them.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's