Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Changing IRC servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Open discussion on changing servers for the IRC chatroom
Personally i have no problem with the current server.

It helps that we know the IRCops for a lot of time and they are willing to help us.
Big plus is that all IRCops (at least the ones i know) are good guys.
The chatroom has nothing to do with the forums anymore,imo. It indeed has problems,but they won't be solved by moving to another IRC server. So,I believe there's no reason to move to another server.
Besides,there aren't many options,as the only reasonal choice would be SynIRC,which is the home of many Pokemon chatrooms,such as the Smogon and Nugget Bridge ones. But it's also the home of #spp,which has caused problems to PurpleSurge (our current server) and #Legendary_Pokemon. Also,Samus,who was a troublemaker in PurpleSurge,is on SynIRC as well.
So I see no alternative servers,therefore I see no reason to move.
I think it be better for us to move to another server that's more active and attracts more users then what we currently are on right now. I feel as we are getting less and less users then more spammers and annoying users that come to cause drama and trouble for us. I think its a good idea to move servers then deal with left over spp junk and kiss that server good bye. I still feel like Kirby is still there even she's not. Weird right ? Think what you want. But most of us that don't want to leave don't have and some of us that want to can. I think we should have that option too also. If some want to stay that's fine and others that want to follow us can but of the others want to come they are welcome also. I am sure we don't want to stay on a half dead server that has netsplits at random that we ran into pass times or less active server as well to add that. But those are my thoughts on this matter. I am not being rude or anything. I think we should get a freash start somewhere else and its a good change in things if we don't feel its that good we can always come back and try again. Smile Tootles. <3 Luna.
(25-10-2015 12:53 AM)Luna Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure we don't want to stay on a half dead server that has netsplits at random that we ran into pass times or less active server as well to add that.

1)Everything dies,eventually.
2)Netsplits...I'll agree with that,but doesn't it happen in other servers as well?
3)If you consider 14-20 users a low number,then you know nothing about LP. For many months,in the chat it would be just Grim and the bot. Later,it would be me,Grim and the bot. And sometimes other users from the forums would come to the chat. That would be in best case 5 people and the bot. Worst case? 1 user and the bot. The dominant language in the chat was Greek. We could speak Greek without having the fear that anyone would ask us why we speak another language. You know what happens now? Whenever we speak Greek,someone will say "stop speaking Russian" or "I don't understand anything". I know that it's not the best thing to do,aka to speak Greek when most people don't understand Greek,but it says so on the rules.
And this is leading to my point: The chatroom has nothing to do with the forums anymore. The dominant part of the forums are the Greek people (aka the 3-4 remaining people of the forums),but the 14-20 people of the chatroom are mostly foreigners that aren't even members of the forum,although they're on the chatroom for very long. And it's not just the users,but it's the ops as well. Grim is both an active member of the forums and an active op. The rest of you just have accounts and post on rare occasions,like this one.
Inactivity is a problem on the forums. But to a much greater extend than in the chat.

PS: If you think PurpleSurge won't get more active because it's dead,then I don't see how LP will get more active by changing server,as LP is almost dead.
But I think its a good idea to start freash though. But if you don't want to leave it that's fine. It will take some time for everyone else to get use to the new changes. Like they say Fall changes means new stuff. Smile So come on lets give this new server if we have one in mind a try. It be good for us to try and explore other places for a change. If Spp can do that why can't we huh ?? PLEASEEEE ??????? Smile It's good to try new things even it might not always work out. But its a good try though doesn't anyone agree ???
I would like to preface this by saying that I am very reluctant to post on the forums because of the frequent petty issues (as I said on the channel earlier). We have proposed a change to both the forums and channel in the past but nothing has come of it and as a result things have only gotten worse. As for the channel we have tried various things such as hosting tournaments, talking more ourselves on the channel and now giveaways to try and increase positive activity as well as other things I am sure I am not remembering correctly currently. To the point, nothing we have done in the past has worked. Not even marginally improved. Ideally a change to both the forums and channel would happen so the communities of both places can thrive, but this will not happen without significant change and work from all parties who want to bring about this change for the better. None of us like seeing the places we care about fall apart and this is really the point in which we should draw the line and become more proactive for the good of the communities. So we can continue to communicate with those we call friends after however long each of us has been around here. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we do not want to lose those bonds with others that have been forged due to inactivity and general negativity about the places. Obviously I cannot accurately describe how things are in the forums because I do not participate often due to the language barrier. With that being said, I do not want to see either place become defunct. It would be a shame. After this time we all know or know of each other and I am sure something can be done for both the channel and the forums.

Now, as for the channel I believe a move to a more positve, active and generally better suited server would be good for us. Simply because we can become involved in a community that is already established and developed in it's own right. Ideally we can find a server that has interest in games/nintendo with the hole for a pokemon related channel. There are many servers which are more active than PurpleSurge with positive communities and stable servers. Netsplits have been an increasing issue for us on PS, with the latest happening just 20 minutes ago (as of 00:00). There are many many irc networks out there that will work for us (as in being large enough for activity and small enough to be the niche we need to survive.) The last thing any of us want to see is more arguments, more stress and more frustation that comes with being on a stagnant place like PurpleSurge. Although SynIRC might seem like an obvious place to move due to the affiliations the LP forums have with channels there, it is possibly the last place we should consider moving due to the nature of the people that moved out of PurpleSurge and to there as of late. Some of these people have caused considerable issues for LP and I am sure I speak for all the ops of the LP channel when I say that is something we never want to have to go through again. During the time of those issues LP hit an incredible low that we have never fully recovered from. If we move it should be for the better not opening ourselves back to the same issues we've had in the past. Of course there is no guarantee the new server will not also have issues of it's own but that is a small risk we should take in order to give the community the chance it deserves. The incredibly small shared community of PS only lends itself to this mixture of negative feelings. Users will (hopefully) follow us over and of course issues between users will remain, however being in a more positive and new environment could boost the overall mood of the channel from one of stress and resentment to something of a more favourable attitude. We have a few options for the new server, all of which have positives and some more negatives than others, but none have any real issues that have become apparent while idling in various popular channels on the servers. IRCops of PurpleSurge have been helpful to us in the past there is no denying that. However, since the leave of Serebii the help has dissipated to us only receiving help when we essentially beg for it. Leaving us defenseless and helpless against frequent issue causers like Turtel who constantly ban evades our channel to harass the users. The only help we have ever received is the ban of a few useless ip addresses that have never worked. Even this was only gained after asking time upon time. Whereas a harmless person in comparison was z:lined for much much smaller offence. Personally, I do not consider this good co-operation or good communication.

It's time for us to move somewhere positive, somewhere where we have the ability to give our community the chance it deserves to have. Remaining in a toxic place like PurpleSurge is denying that. At this point, we have nothing to lose. In the worst situation, a new server would be the same situation as PurpleSurge and we would have lost and gained nothing but at least we can say we actually tried.
To begin with, if things were okay with this server we wouldn't consider moving somewhere else. Moving is the last option for a channel, especially for a channel like ours. But, it has come to this. The reasons are many but I'll try to cover most of them.
First of all, after Serebii left Purplesurge, the server/network died. Serebii was the main reason anyone would come there. I'm not saying they shouldn't have left, instead they should have left a long time ago. A couple of months ago, the server was having problems with a specific person that was "gathering an army" of people to go against the server, make a bad name about it using a specific person related to it while having the help of serebii to cover him and complain to IRCops that his propaganda to people was not a reason for punishment. At that time, me and some other ops helped purplesurge with it while trying to prevent this issue become known to the people in our channel and leave the server, while protecting #Legendary_Pokemon at the same time. I can say that we are the ones that helped the server get rid of that person and it took many days of trying, giving logs,etc. for a problem that was affecting the whole server. Some of the IRCops wouldn't express their opinion to eachother about the whole thing and measurs that should be taken. The whole IRC team is NOT a team. They don't know what eachother thinks, they don't discuss stuff all together. Now, there was a time that we needed the help with banning the IP of a ban evader that comes and abuses people in PM and we got ourselves 2 IPs that would affect many people and the ban evader would always find a way to come after a minute and joke on us to the point he'd say "I'm Turtel, ban me fast now cause I have to go have dinner". I'm not saying in any way that all of the IRC ops are not helpful enough but they are innactive. Right now there are only 1-2 active server ops. I understand that they have a life, that's pretty okay but we as a channel have our own needs. We have talked to the staff about our problems, mainly about the problem with the dead server that doesn't help us grow or have a channel with people that the only thing they do sometimes is make annoying noises or stop talking for hours. But after months of nothing happening about it, we have no other choice but to leave. If the owners won't care, why should we? And we actually did. Some of us tried to bring people in the channel by spending hours on organising events that had no success because the place is dead, obviously.
Considering all of the above reason, a server change would be the best for us. Waiting here for some miracle to happen is futile. No one will come because there's no motive to come, there are no interesting channels to join and be part of a community so that tomorrow they can open their own channel. Moving to another, bigger and busier server would help us grow as a channel and as a site in general. It may not look like it but actually the chatroom and the forums can help each other and all together help the site. If the chatroom attracts people, more people will go to the forums but at the same time forums need to be attractive to people and we all can help with that, in my opinion. Organising tournaments in the chatroom and holding them on a thread on the forums is the first step to attracting more people here. I know in the past I wasn't helping with that at all but now that I'm more into things it's sad seeing LP becoming a deserted place and if we can change that why not do it? Or try at least. Staying here, in this server is not going to help us at all. It never did. But moving to a busier server,as I said before, with channels for every age and for people with different interests and at the same time no other pokemon channels is going to make things better, not worse.

Now to reply to some points made. IRC actually consists of hundreds of servers and Synirc was never on our list. Finding a good server is not an easy task but it can happen. We've already done our research but we never looked to go to Synirc.That would be a silly thing to do considering we want to reduce the number of problems and drama, not increase it.

(25-10-2015 01:25 AM)VladdyHawkward Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-10-2015 12:53 AM)Luna Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure we don't want to stay on a half dead server that has netsplits at random that we ran into pass times or less active server as well to add that.

1)Everything dies,eventually.
2)Netsplits...I'll agree with that,but doesn't it happen in other servers as well?
3)If you consider 14-20 users a low number,then you know nothing about LP. For many months,in the chat it would be just Grim and the bot. Later,it would be me,Grim and the bot. And sometimes other users from the forums would come to the chat. That would be in best case 5 people and the bot. Worst case? 1 user and the bot. The dominant language in the chat was Greek. We could speak Greek without having the fear that anyone would ask us why we speak another language. You know what happens now? Whenever we speak Greek,someone will say "stop speaking Russian" or "I don't understand anything". I know that it's not the best thing to do,aka to speak Greek when most people don't understand Greek,but it says so on the rules.
And this is leading to my point: The chatroom has nothing to do with the forums anymore. The dominant part of the forums are the Greek people (aka the 3-4 remaining people of the forums),but the 14-20 people of the chatroom are mostly foreigners that aren't even members of the forum,although they're on the chatroom for very long. And it's not just the users,but it's the ops as well. Grim is both an active member of the forums and an active op. The rest of you just have accounts and post on rare occasions,like this one.
Inactivity is a problem on the forums. But to a much greater extend than in the chat.

PS: If you think PurpleSurge won't get more active because it's dead,then I don't see how LP will get more active by changing server,as LP is almost dead.

1) So we stay and look at it dying rather than trying to do something?
2) I don't really know as I haven't been in many servers before that but I don't believe they're that common. When I first joined we rarely had netdplit issues here.
3) As I have said before that belongs in the past. The release of X/Y gave us a boost and increased our popularity. Now we have to make one more step on our own.
Also, if you stopped telling people that they speak "an alien language" whenever they say something that's not english or greek or it's about a subject you have no idea about simply because don't know what it is then maybe they'd stop too.
The channel never had anything to do with the forums, except if you mean that the channel used to be visited only by the 4-5 active forum users and now there are others too. As for the forum deadness part, I answered a few lines above.
@Rebecca

The "language barrier" is kind of an excuse,as the forum is divided to English and Greek.

Suggestion 1: Divide the chatroom into LP International and LP Greece
Whenever we speak Greek,users may not stay. So,in LP International only English is allowed and in LP Greece only Greek is allowed,kinda like the forums division.

As you said,the obvious solution is the worst and I agree with you.
Suggestion 2: If we move,then a good solution would be Freenode
I have limited knowledge of IRC networks,but Freenode has gaming related channels. For example:
/r/pokemon's official IRC channel is on Freenode.
/r/Minecraft's official IRC channel is on Freenode.
(The community channel of Minecraft is on Esper.)
(Snoonet is the home of /r/Steam's IRC channel)
And imo we should avoid Rizon. There are Smash related channels there afaik,so Samus will be there.

Also,out of curiosity,who got zlined for a smaller offense? Cynesthesia? Cynesthesia deserved that. Jacob? If you mean the Zelda nickname issue,then it got resolved.

And no,there's an even worse situation: The server is full of spammers and trolls and they raid the channel frequently.

@Skorp

Tournaments don't work,even if we have a thread on the forums. I tried that myself twice. Tyrell tried that as well. But then again,my tournaments were a failure. Tyrell's were good-organised,but too bad Tyrell has left the LP.

As for the language,there's a difference between languages allowed by the rules and languages not allowed. And as people don't bother reading the rules,they end up either speaking German,Spanish,French,etc or complaining that we speak Greek. Which leads to suggestion #1 aka divide the chatroom language-wise.

PS: I'd love to see our ops (which are like 5-6? One of them being inactive and the other one being a PS IRCop,aka someone who might not move to another server) dealing with a larger amount of people (40-50 or even 70).
Both freenode and rizon are far too large for us to be able to give the channel the chance it needs. Through looking at different irc networks there are some that have the similar game channels (which are mostly minecraft or smash) while still having that medium close knit community vibe. We need a place that will actually notice if we move there and will work with us to grow the channel and also change a few things within it. Huge servers will not offer us this chance, we will only get lost in the masses. Obviously we already have options that fit these criteria but I will not say which networks until a decision is reached. Esper, however, is not one since I have found they suffer net splits more often than PS.

As for dividing the channel I see no need. The Greek community is so small on the channel there is no need for a separate place for it. The only issue it poses is some people not being able to be involved in all conversation. This is only an issue a very small percentage of the time and all it takes to solve is a little understanding and more activity so that the non Greek speakers can be involved while a Greek conversation is happening. Everyone just wants to be included, that's all. There's no real problem with that.
I see no reason on having 2 seperate channels. That would probably just split the few users we already have.

About the server ban on people, we all know how easy it is to change the IP nowadays so the IP bans are kinda worthless nowadays. Thankfully the aren't many cases whhere users would ban evade (mostly it's 1-2 persons that would ban evade).

The server has helped a lot and i'm sure they will continue helping us, Joe even spoke with someone from the BNC service that Samus was using in order to delete/close/ban Samus' account and actually did it.
Samus (Hurricane) pm Wrote:[20:45:02] :Grim-Ripper: i mean you didn't want to stay any longer
[20:45:42] :Samus: there are people i've still yet to redirect to synirc
[20:45:58] :Grim-Ripper: ah i see
[20:46:03] :Grim-Ripper: ok
[20:47:30] :Samus: and also Joe has been bad and i need to yell at him :@
[20:47:55] :Grim-Ripper: ah i see
[20:48:40] :Samus: he literally looked up my bnc provider and had them block my account
[20:48:42] :Samus: so rude
[20:49:12] :Grim-Rippe:r well you were server banned and used the bnc to bypass it
[20:49:13] :Grim-Ripper: so....
[20:49:40] :Samus: yeah but there was no reason to remove my synirc bnc :@

While i have found a server that LP could move to and i will suggest it if it's decided that the channel will be moved, i still don't want to move.
I still believe that most of the people that want to move have personal issues/reasons with the PS server and it's the primary reason for wanting to leave.

I suggest that the decision for moving or not should happen after the halloween giveaway. As far as i know the previous attempts weren't advertised at all or at least weren't advertised in the LP page of twitter while this time there will be an advertisment. It'll probably attract people and some of them could stay.
Tournaments won't work when there are no people to participate. There's nothing wrong with how the tournaments are organised. We used to have IRCops send global notices to people but no one would be interested to even come and check it out.

People only speak their mother language only as soon as they join. We don't expect anyone to read the rules as soon as they join for the first time, that's why we tell them to speak english. Some of them try to speak english, others use google translate and the rest that can't understand what we say keep speaking spanish or whichever language they speak. But that's a rare phenomenon, it's not even an issue to begin with. And people "complain" when we speak greek only because they want to be included in the conversation and they can't.

If we have difficulties moderating the channel, new ops can be added. We've done this before.
I see no reason to have two separate channels; it's fine for a conversations in Greek to happen in the main channel and it's fine for people to ask why they're seeing it.

I agree that we should focus towards a close knit community and what is more I strongly believe that it should be a network with other Pokemon channels. Being alone in a server with unrelated channels is a weak long-term strategy for growth; the server is benefited more than the channel.

In that regard I've been looking at irc.systemnet.info which houses #bulbagarden (which we have worked with closely in the past) and #thepokecommunity.

Pokemon fans already familiar with IRC are most likely on multiple networks already. Instead, it's people unfamiliar with IRC that need to be drawn into this. Leveraging twitter is certainly a means that hasn't been tried fully yet. I can share access with a couple of channel operators in order to publicize giveaways or others events. A second strategy to explore would be “ambassador channels” in several other servers, to point people towards our home server.

Being able to co-operate with the server administrators is also a must, as proved by certain evading a-holes in the past.

However I asked for and received a much better deal at irc.pocketmonsters.net which offered to open a second channel just for us (staff channel included if we need it). Although I've been on a hiatus from IRC for several years, I've known the administrators for more than a decade, and they'll be available to assist in any issue.

P.S.: The activity level of the forum is an entirely unrelated discussion; not sure how that even popped up. However in either chatrooms or forum, growth comes from a critical mass of users. If that critical mass is absent, a discussion place is lucky to have a tight group of friends to keep some activity going, but that won't bring growth. In every case, critical mass only comes from frequent content, either in a accompanying site or the chatroom / forum themselves. Giveaways and tournaments are indeed two such types of content. If they're enough or not, that is too a different topic.

Miku

Honestly, sure going onto another network would me more traffic for the channel and stuff but what are the chances that we won't get troubling users, that also gives the norfair crew another chance at messing with the chat and in our current server we are friendly with most of the IRCOps
I feel that it should be addressed that the ops of legendary_pokemon work to keep the drama, problems and difficulties with the network out of the main channel, hence why we have/had a staff channel. Due to this, most users in the channel do not have accurate information as to what actually happens since we do work to keep the channel as calm and happy as possible. This can be some explaination as to why most will only see inactivity and net splits as the only issues with the channel and network. However this is not the case when we address what actually happens behind the scenes, many more things occur that most are simply unaware of. None of these things are "personal" none of them are effected by "personal" feelings or opinions, it is simply an account of what happened. Those of us who are heavily involved in everything that happens do see these things often enough for it to become a problem.

As for the network opers simply look at how many have left, been forced to leave or have been absent in recent months. Joe, specifically, has been gone for three months. Yes, everyone has their own personal life, no one understands that greater than myself as I have a very demanding and busy personal life as those of you who know me know all too well. The only opers who are around are Michele, Daniel and MurderMachine. Even then, they're mostly away or unresponsive. Making the odd comment when joining. Michele, of course, is more active than the others and she is also a channel op that helps us whenever she can, but she cannot run this entire network alone. Asking or expecting her to do so would be incredibly unfair. Yes, everything was much better 6 months ago when they were all active and helpful regularly but times have changed. The network as a whole is sinking into inactivity and we will drown with it if we do not take action before it is too late.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's