Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: How to have your game saved in Crystal, Gold and Silver FOR EVER!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How to have your game saved in Crystal, Gold and Silver FOR EVER! *UPDATED*

ATTENTION: If you take off the battery, your saves will be lost... Perhaps in the future wii will find one safe way and post it here.

You all know this is a common problem, only found in second generation games. Well, I found a very good guide.

What is the problem:
Inside the cartridge, there is a battery, which allows you to save your player's progress. It lasts only for 6 years.

What will you need:
a battery CR2025 (you can find it everywhere)(similar to the original one P223-ND. You should use this battery)
your Pokemon Cartridge of course

1st step:
Open the cartridge

2nd step:
[attachment=271]
Take out the battery (it's outlined in a yellow insulator)

3rd step:
Put the new battery

4th step:
You are ready, your save files are safe Toungue!

I hope this will help you a lot.

EDIT: You should change the battery every 5 years to prevent the deletion of the save file Wink
Well, forever is a tough thing to say, maybe for another 6 years Wink
Thing is that this solution won't be of any help if the old battery has already dried out and therefore your saved game has been erased.
Does that thing with the saves occur in Pokemon Yellow as well?
no only in g/s/c
Arty2 Wrote:Well, forever is a tough thing to say, maybe for another 6 years Wink
Thing is that this solution won't be of any help if the old battery has already dried out and therefore your saved game has been erased.

That's right Wink. But, I meant you will have your save files forever, if you change your battery every 6 years. But, in my opinion Pokemon G/S/C owners, should change the batteries every 5 years, to prevent the deletion of the save file
Gongrats pr.Birch for your guide. You make clear and give answers in a very common and important problem
Oh no, I forgot the most important thing! If you take out the old battery, the save files are gone! I can't think any solution to this problem....

Quick Edit: I think I know one, but I'm not sure if it works
Perhaps you should also edit the original post; some users never read the followups.
I remember reading somewhere about the Saved game getting erased when removeing the battery, and if I remember correct there is a way to prevent this from happening but it requires a rather complex on-the-fly backup circuit that keeps providing electricity; not something anyone could do.
I was thinking the same thing... You 're right, I must edit the original post...
my game hasn't erased =]
the time did though >_>
Well, if you have an N64, you could always dump all the Pokemon and other stuff onto Pokemon Stadium 2, then change the battery in the GB cart, start a new game and then put everything back. You'd have to play through the game again, I guess, but at least you wouldn't have wasted all that time spent training and collecting items.

I did that a lot anyway with R/B/Y and Stadium 1 in order to gain experience for Pokemon of various levels without having to just run through the Elite Four over and over again with the weak Pokemon in the lead position, switching out instantly every time. It doesn't take that long to play through the game on 4x speed, and you don't have to stop and sit through the ending every few minutes.

Anyways, that's a bit off-topic... The point is, it's better than waiting for the battery to die and losing everything. If you don't have an N64, then I wouldn't know what to do... other than find a cheap used N64 and Stadium 2... if your Pokemon are worth that much to you.
Well, this is a good idea but it's a little dificult...
*bump*

Apparently, this plague not only affects Gold & Silver, but Crystal, Red, Blue and Yellow as well. GBA games are safe however (for a few decades presumably) since they use a flash-type memory to store your data.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to keep your saved game; if the battery dies, your saved game goes along.
One might be able to short-circuit a new battery as long as the old one hasn't depleted and then perform the switcheroo but I haven't seen any examples online. I fear that this may fry the game entirely thus we may need a guinea pig.

Photograph and document your memories while they last and embrace yourself for the inevitable.*

If they die anyway, you can replace the battery of course, as mentioned in the first post.

* dramatical diction intended
what should i do when my r/s/e/fr/lg show a message reading "the internal batteriy has run dry the game can be played but timed events will not occur" or somthing like that?
  • Load FireRed, LeafGreen, or Emerald until the title screen is displayed.
  • Press the Select and B buttons. After the new screen loads, press A.
  • Insert the Link Cable so that the system that has FR/LG/E in it has the Player 1 cable port inserted and the one with R/S has the Player 2 port. Once this is done, press A.
  • Turn on the device with Ruby or Sapphire while holding the Start and Select buttons.
  • Refer to the FR/LG/E display for further instructions. The patch should be transferred at this time.

Source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/B...the_glitch

Not related to this thread though. Please ask your questions in the Q&A forum. Wink
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's