Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: What kind of battler are you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(02-09-2009 04:06 PM)Tassaras7 Wrote: [ -> ]my strategy is [hit and go]

this ^^^^^^^
stall forevah ;OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I don't have problem with any battling strategy but stall.I just hate using it because the battles last way too long most times and makes them boring.I prefer using offensive and balanced team but offense is my favourite.
Hmm,I was playing the same like you and thought that stall sux and it is boring and offence rules and nothing else...but after playing a lot of matches and facing some of the best players in the world i saw that stall is more exciting and more viable in Gen IV after mence ban....

Also,good stall make a battler way better than before...learn to stall is a big thing...and a good stall from a pro stall has a huge difference..

Also pro stall have almost no weakness...

Moreover,making an offence core team which can counter almost everything its a big thing mate...

If you learn to the art of stalling,you will see how much better it is ^^..

But that is my opinion ofc..Big Grin
I'm still not experienced in competitive battling but I generally prefer balanced teams. I dislike extreme offense since I know how it can be stopped with a good wall but I also dislike stalling cause I think it gives many turns to the enemy to move and a clever one won't let the chance go away. Mixing generally good offense with some supportive tanks and a bulky pokemon able to deal notable damage once its given the chance is what I like.
Attack only. Pfft. Screw waiting for the battle. UNLESS I'm bored. Then I waste all my time with swords dance and stuff. XD
Have Pokemon that cover each other's weaknesses.
@JuanDeLolo
I agree with what you say about stall and as i have said in my RMT stall is the most difficult style of playing to face.I have tried to play stall many times but i just can't get the idea of it.I mean i play stall but i react like playing offense and this prevents me from playing it succesfully.Also i prefer playing offense as it's more exciting than stall.In stall you react based on a plan but in offense this can't happen everytime( although this shows that stall is better organised ).
Also, something else that I've learned from other games and I think it's true in Pokémon, too. When building a team you shouldn't focus on something particular. A good team is good without having a great advantage like being able to sweep everything or tanking like there's no tomorrow. A nice mix of important factors ensures a solid team that will be at least difficult to be defeated.

And of course, if the factors offense and defence are important, utility can win a battle. Maybe not many moves and abilities can affect this but shadow tag isn't banned without a reason.
Ok, I'm glad this thread has sparked up some discussion, even if it's happening two years after I made it.

Now, about stall. I do not think it is necessarily a superior or inferior playstyle, and I also doubt everyone can play it. It definitely has its merits. The main reason quite a lot of players prefer stall is that it helps minimize prediction. With stall, you can try to control the tempo of the battle without having to predict all the time, and you also have some bigger margin for error, given the fact most of your Pokemon tend to be quite bulky and able to live through the wrong move if they have to, since you 're not going to outplay your opponent every turn.

However, this doesn't mean that by playing stall you can win without being a good player. You still have to be able to do at least some basic prediction, you just don't depend on this to win. When playing full offence, you have to do this at times, especially if you fall back at some point and have to get back from behind, which is not easily achievable without risking.

All in all, the Stall vs Offence argument in Pokemon is like the the Defence vs Attack argument in basketball. Fans and new players are better accustomed to Attack, since it seems likes it's the nature of the game and is also usually much more attractive to the untrained eye. On the other hand, Defence is where you can fall back to in order to have good chances of winning even on your bad day.

Most people learn to play offensively in sports from a young age rather than defend a lot, and the same happens in Pokemon, since stall is pretty much non-existent in game and rather pointless, especially in the storyline.

On a more personal note, since it's been two years since I made this thread, I 'd like to talk a bit about myself too. Compared to two years ago, I 'm probably a worse player. I haven't played much in the last 1,5 year or so, and I don't have a well defined game style. I could call myself a "lost" player, as in having some knowledge but always underperfoming compared to it.

tl;dr: Juan's a noob.
(07-07-2011 08:41 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I'm glad this thread has sparked up some discussion, even if it's happening two years after I made it.

Now, about stall. I do not think it is necessarily a superior or inferior playstyle, and I also doubt everyone can play it. It definitely has its merits. The main reason quite a lot of players prefer stall is that it helps minimize prediction. With stall, you can try to control the tempo of the battle without having to predict all the time, and you also have some bigger margin for error, given the fact most of your Pokemon tend to be quite bulky and able to live through the wrong move if they have to, since you 're not going to outplay your opponent every turn.

However, this doesn't mean that by playing stall you can win without being a good player. You still have to be able to do at least some basic prediction, you just don't depend on this to win. When playing full offence, you have to do this at times, especially if you fall back at some point and have to get back from behind, which is not easily achievable without risking.

All in all, the Stall vs Offence argument in Pokemon is like the the Defence vs Attack argument in basketball. Fans and new players are better accustomed to Attack, since it seems likes it's the nature of the game and is also usually much more attractive to the untrained eye. On the other hand, Defence is where you can fall back to in order to have good chances of winning even on your bad day.

Most people learn to play offensively in sports from a young age rather than defend a lot, and the same happens in Pokemon, since stall is pretty much non-existent in game and rather pointless, especially in the storyline.

On a more personal note, since it's been two years since I made this thread, I 'd like to talk a bit about myself too. Compared to two years ago, I 'm probably the worst player. I haven't played much in the last 1,5 year or so, and I don't have a well defined game style. I could call myself a "lost" player, as in having some knowledge but always underperfoming compared to it.

tl;dr: Juan's a noob.

Yes i am a lost player too ;(...1 year inactive probably i am Toungue

But still pwning you its really bad :/ Toungue

Also,i had not participate in many tours in smogon when i was in the "peak" of my pokemon career(my best was Quarter finals in a 126 tour/ have played about 5-6 tours) but because i think i have a pretty good knowledge of the game and i understand the basics,i have to say this...

Play everything you like,play it like a big Pr0,kick GS's ass and then sweep em all with dat broken uber pikachu!:|

Really broken !:|

p.s.If you play against Peke,stall,Heavy offence,balance...doesnt matter..he will hax you to death!:|
Well..after many battles with friends and random Wi-Fi opponents, I ended up that only one strategy fits me : Careful and slow attacks, launched by sturdy defenders.
Steelix, Gliscor, Vespiquen(do not underestimate the queen!), Carracosta, Cofagrigus and many more are my joys and prides.
In general, I prefer this style because it works well against most kinds of sweepers.Pokemon like Gengar, Absol or Honchkrow are doomed if they do not finish the battle in one hit.
Also, this strategy goes against what most opponents are expecting to face: Bulky attack, high speed, terrific types with one to three weaknesses.
However, the problem of this battle style is that almost all battles last way too long, and this means that long-term survival of the foe can be big trouble.Moreover, if a foe has guessed well my choices for the current fight, they can be more than able to counter me.(Or, rather, break through my pokemon, in the case of defense)
Oh nice, now everyone knows my strategy..good job keeping it a secret Argente.. xD
(27-07-2009 04:22 PM)GeorgeSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of battler are you?What is your playstyle battling-wise?What was it earlier?

Personally,I have been playing competitively since when I bought my DS with Diamond last July.

Before this,I used to be a noob compared to competitive battling's standards.As in,I used almost exclusively moves with a high power and moves I liked with every Pokemon,no matter what their stats where;my Aggron with Fire Blast and Thunder among others proves it xD.As a result,the 3rd Gen was my worst generation-not that I did not like the games,but I was a bad battler.

Now that I battle competitively,I sometimes tend to be criticized for my very offensive playstyle;some teams of mine do not have even one wall/tank and rely solely on sweepers.In my opinion,a team of sweepers,if it has extremely good team work,can be really effective.

As far as Pokemon are concerned,I use Pokemon with well thought natures,EVs and moves,and the best IVs I can get them with.Also,I usually use a lot of Pokemon with setup moves-one or two turn usually,more is hard to accomplish most of the times.

OK people,discuss.

wow o.o

literally Exactly the same goes for me Confused Just that it was in june that it was this June that i started.

Lately i've been intrested in all-wall teams with pokemon like gliscor , moltress , zapdos , scizor , umbreon etc.....
I personally prefer "bulky sweeping" strategies. That means I choose mainly set-up or choiced sweepers who can take a couple of hits. A perfect example of what I like is Gliscor. His natural bulk combined with poison heal and toxic orb makes him take physical hits extremely lightly, while he can use SD and slowly "sweep". Other examples would be Dragonite, Scizor, Rotom-W and some others.
I also seem to be attracted to stalling more lately, namely through Jellicent and his amazing stalling powers.
Before Gen V I had a weird phase. During Gen III I didn't even know what natures, Evs, etc did. I used random strong moves and legendaries. In Gen IV it got a bit better, as I finaly realised what IVs, EVs and the rest where but never really did anything but get good natures, I was too lazy at the time Toungue. Then comes Gen V where I started EV training and IV breeding all out of a sudden. I have also not trained a single legendary since B/W.
Overall I am still improving in competitive battling and I'm having some... problems. Namely with Calm mind users like Virizion and Jirachi, as well as substitue Toxicroaks that Jellicent can't touch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's