Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Pokemon...controversy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
While most of you will porbably think I am crazy for putting pokemon in a bad light I have very interesting news. First of all as most of you may know that people have tried sueing the pokemon company for many, many reasons. Lets go to the "fascist pokemon" issue. If any of you are in america and have a registeel in dimond or pearl then lets take at its image. Hm...nothing too unusual. Except for the fact that it's making a HITLER SALUTE! Naturally this had to be edited from platinum for obvious reasons. Whats interesting is that the name "Stalin" means "steel" in Russian so you'd think they would do something comunist with that pokemon. And thats just one out of many controversies. Now lets look at the bad guys and see what they are like:

Team rocket: Pokemon theives
Team magma/aqua: Environmental extremists
Team Galactic: New world order
Team Plasma: Fundamentalist Christians

Notice something funny? It seems that whenever a group of people sues pokemon they make them the bad guys of the next generation. Their is a whole lot more but I dont have time to talk about it. Post your comments and find other controversies.

By the way to prove my point I will use the controversial Registeel as my avatar.
I never noticed this. In fact it could be a mere coincidence.
Registeel's gesture would just be a coincedence, it illustrates one of the difficulties of localization.

The game corner is another example of something that may be received as controversial; such game stores are common in Japan, but apparently in the western world gambling is a newfound taboo.

Religious and racial issues have arised as well, take Jynx for example which is now purple instead of the original black or the budhist monks in HGSS who had their praying beads removed in the western versions:
[Image: HGSS_Sage.png]
[Image: Sage%20Korean.PNG]
...Wait wut? D:

[Image: interesting-thread.gif]
First thing that came to my mind:

Japanese "Koga's Ninja Trick"
[Image: m7c4r7.jpg]

English "Koga's Ninja Trick"
[Image: 21bnqdl.jpg]

What the japanese see as an omote manji, a sign that symbolizes good fortune, americans see it as a nazi swastika.

EDIT: One more.

Japanese "Misty's Tears"
[Image: MistyTearsHanadaCityGym.jpg]

English "Misty's Tears"
[Image: ravm6w.jpg]

Too much nudity for western kids.
well i have noticed registeel before but never all those. I found that i no longer wanted regiteel because most of the community i live in is african. I also noticed an exansive use of white peopl in the games. I dont think it was untill gen IV that africans appearred.
That's the case because the Pokemon universe was based on Japan till now, where there's no history of people with an african descent.
However don't give Registeel the thumbs down, just because it "looks like" a fascist salute, doesn't mean that's what it is; it looks simply like an extented arm to me.
In most cases I find these controversies stupid. The whole thing with Jynx had definitely a point, but the nazi Registeel is plain stupid. Why should we fear a movement of human's arm just because it was once used by a fascist?
...apparently many jewish people begged to differ on that case...
Registeel isn't facist. People's mind are.
I actually looked some of this stuff up on bulbapedia if you are wondering
You read the Wikipedia stuff? That's my favorite means of learning more about my favorite Game Characters.
wikipedia can be unreliable sometimes. another thing i noticed is in gen 4 there is a church in hearthome(?). what religioun though? i guess some people may argue over it..
(26-12-2010 06:43 AM)dunsparce Wrote: [ -> ]wikipedia can be unreliable sometimes. another thing i noticed is in gen 4 there is a church in hearthome(?). what religioun though? i guess some people may argue over it..

OMGWTF I SEARCHED EVERYWHERE TO LEARN WHAT THIS PLACE IS!!!!
ukhvghulkfdhglfkdghulufhdlskhgomgihateitsomuch I got tired of looking and gave up :<<<<
I said BULBApedia not wikipedia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's