Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Pokemon relations to the real world
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello ladies, gents, and unknown genders. After my play through of leaf green, I noticed that pokemon originally was more related to the real world. Lets take a look at a few things I've seen.

First, lets take a look at Kanto's 3rd gym leader, Lt Surge. We can obviously tell that Lt Surge is some kind of war veteran, based on his military outfit, and the fact that he has a Lt in his name. Now, lets look at the sign board outside his gym. It says "Gym Leader: Lt Surge. The lightning AMERICAN!" This is an obvious indicator that the first generation of pokemon had a great connection with the real world. More than that, it also shows how Japan views America; as a bunch of war veterans. This view of Amercia is also shown in the pokemon Braviary, or as its called in Japan, Wargle. Just take a look at its poke dex entry.

The other obvious give away that Kanto is connected to the real world is that when looking in the pokemon mansion, it sates that mew was discovered in Guatemala, South America. Although this is kind of off topic, there is another thing I would like to mention. The journals state that mew gave live birth to mewtwo, which in itself has MANY errors. First, all other pokemon lay eggs, so WHY does mew give live birth? Second, it didn't have a sex partner. So, the only 2 conclusions would be it was female and already pregnant, or they gave it a male and female set of organs, and then you-know-what happens. Finally, how does a tiny pokemon like mew give birth to something 3 times the size of it! Please don't answer THAT question, as I don't wanna know.

These are just a few little things I have found that are interesting. You can post your own ideas if you want.
I think you got the Mew part wrong. It just says the scientists used Mew's genes to make the ultimate pokemon, but as always the situation got out of control. I think that no other generation was as connected to the real world as the 5th one. Using the Unova region, Game Freak points out how mankind has ruined nature. Just take a look at Zekrom and Reskiram:

1) Zekrom the black yang pokemon and Reshiram the white yin pokemon

2) Zekrom's technological look and Reshiram's wild look

3) Zekrom's type is dragon/electric(something humans made) and Reshiram's type is dragon/fire(nature)

4) Zekrom's cry sounds like a wild animal, while Reshiram's cry is like a machine sound.

It might be out of topic, but i thought it was worth a mention.
I agree with Vezok about Mew/mewtwo.

As for the Unova Tao trio, I have thouught something.

Reshiram and Zekrom used to be the same pokemon once.

They seperated for the sake of the two heroes that created Unova (or something like this, I dont pay much atention to the details of the campaign).

Even in the game, both of them choose the good side, since both the main char and N (NOT Team Plasma) want to make the world a better place.

I think they have never seriously fought each other apart from fanfics/pics. They aren't rivals.

They both help humans, somehow.

Kyurem, on the other hand was propably the bad guy. Not really appealing, controlling the element of ice (cold, distant, deadly) and propably greedy. It generated so much cold energy that couldnt be controlled and leaked out (pokedex). It remained one, unlike the other one that divided, and this why it is more powerful than both Zekrom and Reshiram. It never helped anyone and prefers to live isolated. Also, it likes the taste of humans, if we believe in the legends of the nearby town.

That was a bit offtopic.
I think Kyurem was the leftovers of the split of Zekrom and Reshiram. If you look at it,it looks like a shedded skin. Maybe Kyurem is to Zekrom and Reshiram what Shedinja is to Ninjask.

As for the real world relation,Unova seems to be in America. There are Basketball,Football and Baseball players and there are quite a few black people such as the Normal Gym Leader (I think her name is Aloe),showing America's internationality.

PS: i think Gir is referring to the info found on the abandoned house on Cinnabar Island.
Thats right terraplant, I was talking about the house on Cinnabar Island. Also, Kyurem is actually supposed to represent balance between things, such as good and evil.
I understood you were talking about Cinnabar island, but it says exactly the story i wrote above. Also i agree that Kyurem is the leftovers of the being Reshiram and Zekrom used to be united as. I mean look at him, he is a wreck: he has many broken parts and his to sides aren't symmetrical. Also i searched it and found out that cold(ice) represents lack of energy, so Zekrom is the negative energy, Reshiram represents the possitive energy and Kyurem is the state of complete lack of energy. Finally Unova's normal gym leader is named Lenora in English and Aloe in Japanese.
Ok, I read some thing about the trio in bulbapedia and it seems I was mistaken. Anyway, i still think that Kyurem is the bad guy of the story. And dont forget, it's so ugly cause it crashed to Earth in a meteor and then it produced so much energy that couldnt be controlled.

Anyway, more info about the three legendaries might be revealed sooner or later.
Okay, if you think that pokemon can be related to the real world somehow, then riddle me this Batman. Explain Raquaza, who NEVER leaves the Ozone
Perhaps he is trying to find a way to deal with the GIANT HOLE in it. Also, Vezok, read all the journals in the mansion.
I see what you mean Gir. It say "gave birth", but i suppose it still means gave birth through genes. Also i think they made a mistake with Rayquaza, as in Gen IV they state he never leaves the Ozone layer, but in Gen III He was always at the Sky Pillar. By the way what's wrong with Braviary's dex number? Am i missing something here Confused ?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/P...real_world
Here's a good read.

As for Braviary, its war bonnet and the fact that Rufflet has a single feather in its head remind me more of native Americans than the bald eagle but yeah, it's a big shout-out to America in any case.

Braviary isn't the only Pokémon based on a country's symbol though. Serperior's markings for example are very similar in color and shape to the Fleur-de-lis, a symbol that appears in many royal crests, coats of arms, etc, mainly French ones. There are definitely more that I can't remember now, will post again when I remember anything.
Just remembered this: Berries are related to the real world too, as their names are actually mixed up names of real fruit: e.g. Payapa berry-Papaya, Cheri Berry- Cheries, Oran berry-Oranges, Rawst berry-Strawberries, Watmel berry-Watermellon, Apicot berry- Apricots, Tamato berry-Tomato, Nanab berry- Banana, Sitrus berry-Citrus fruit, Razz berry-Raspberry, and many others.

P.S. Quite surprised at that text for the regions you posted NM2
I had compiled a list of all the berries and their real-life counterparts at some point, I hope I can find it.

Wow. I thought that pokemon names were punny. Aparently I had a punthology in my Berries Pocket and didn't know it.
The next person to use a pokemon pun will be baked into cake. And no, it is not a lie.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's