Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: Which came first, Digimon or Pokemon? The answer is obvious.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Since I have fed up with seeing people still wondering if Digimon came first or Pokemon (even thought the answer is obvious) I decided to write this thread here and later spread it to other sites. So here we go:

To all people who still wonder if Pokemon came first or Digimon: Do your research first (even a quick one in Wikipedia if you are so lazy).

Satoshi Tajiri have the concept for the videogame in his mind since he was young (in manga format at first if I remember correctly), started the development in 1990 and released Pokemon Red/Green in Japan in 1996. After the unexpected, huge success of the videogame (before releasing the game they weren't sure if the gamers would understand well the concept of the game, therefore they weren't sure if it would sell well), it has been merchandised into anime, manga, toys, trading card games and so on and the videogame is the second best selling videogame francise in the world after Super Mario series.

Digimon was first released as a virtual pet toy in 1997 in Japan following the style and concept of Tamagotchi (which was released in 1996 in Japan) but with the difference that you could fight with other Digimon virtual pets. In 1999 Digimon started to be merchandised into anime, manga, videogames and so in order to compete with Pokemon francise.

Since Digimon began as a Tamagotchi-style virtual pet toy it's no wonder that Digimon World, the first videogame of Digimon francise, is like the virtual pet toy in gameplay perspective. But in comparison with Pokemon videogames (expecially the main rpg series which began the phenomenon) which are high acclaimed, Digimon World sucks and only Digimon hardcore fans seems to enjoy them as well as the rest of the Digimon videogames. On the other hand, Pokemon main rpg series is enjoyed even by people who have never seen even an episode from the anime or reading a volume of the manga. Even Pokemon-themed puzzle games like Pokemon Trozei and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge can be also enjoyed from people who aren't Pokemon fan. OK, maybe the later Digimon rpgs are better and more enjoyable than Digimon World but still the fact that they are Pokemon-wannabe games doesn't change and there are much better Pokemon-like games like Dragon Quest Monsters series and Azure Dreams (such a shame that its semi-sequel, Tao's Adventure, is not so good).

The only reason that Digimon fans believe that their favourite francise is better than Pokemon is because of the anime. And speaking for the anime, Digimon fans seems to have low standars about anime generally. It can't be explained otherwise the fact that they hate Digimon Tamers so much even if objectively it's much better than Digimon Adventures. Even me that I hate Digimon I love Digimon Tamers. The credits goes to the writer, Chiaki J. Konaka, which is also responsible for high acclaimed Serial Experiments Lain senario. No wonder that Digimon Tamers is like Serial Experiments Lain for little kids. But every time I ask a Digimon fan (expecially my real life friends) why they think Digimon Tamers sucks they don't give me a persuasive answer. So I believe the reason they prefer Digimon Adventures is because they have more characters and stupit melodrama.

In conclusion, Digimon is nothing more than a Pokemon wannabe which for the videogame francise at least it will never be as interesting as other Pokemon-like games which have much more stuff to offer to the gamers that want to play something different than Pokemon. If some people prefer Digimon over Pokemon due to its universe and monsters design that's a different matter.
(09-03-2012 08:36 AM)Vetus Wrote: [ -> ]The only reason that Digimon fans believe that their favourite francise is better than Pokemon is because of the anime. And speaking for the anime, Digimon fans seems to have low standars about anime generally. It can't be explained otherwise the fact that they hate Digimon Tamers so much even if objectively it's much better than Digimon Adventures. Even me that I hate Digimon I love Digimon Tamers. The credits goes to the writer, Chiaki J. Konaka, which is also responsible for high acclaimed Serial Experiments Lain senario. No wonder that Digimon Tamers is like Serial Experiments Lain for little kids. But every time I ask a Digimon fan (expecially my real life friends) why they think Digimon Tamers sucks they don't give me a persuasive answer. So I believe the reason they prefer Digimon Adventures is because they have more characters and stupit melodrama.

i can answer you to that !

first and second seasons they had actually a better story to tell in my opinion...then they had the characters. many characters, everyone could find his self inside one of those characters and last the fisrt to gens gave a story that was really great and had drama, laugh and good action...most people hate tamers because they actually said that 1st and 2nd seasons were a tv anime thus averyone was angry because wean you are a little kid you want to believe that what you see is true...by the time they said it was an tv anime lots of people automaticaly hated it with no reason only because they were kids...i actually like tamers, but after 1st and 2nd seasons the anime gone downhill !!! in my opinion....

as for pokemon wannabe i have no idea, i could never put pokemon vs digimon in my mind because they are two different things....
I believe the digimon show came out before the pokemon cartoon. I'm rather surprised that they haven't been sued for plagiarism. Or have they? Well, I don't know much. I never watched digimon when I was a kid, as I preferred pokemon. You know, perhaps if digimon came out first, then IT would be the critically acclaimed game, and not pokemon. It's one of those things that changes the coarse of history in the same way as the Punic Wars. If Rome had lost those wars, then we'd have never heard of the Roman Empire. We would know TONES, however, about the Carthagian Empire.
Well, I personally believe that Digimon is just an interesting franchise but not nothing more. Pokémon are just better. I can't say I never enjoyed Digimon but still, they remain a copy of that "monster training" trend Pokémon brought to the world.
I used to watch Digimon. When it came to Season 4 (at least I think it was that) the show sucked and it was all Pokemon from there.
I know pokemon came before digimon but first it was magic the gathering
(10-03-2012 12:47 AM)Giratina88 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the digimon show came out before the pokemon cartoon.
*Sign* Like I said...Do your research first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_anime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Adventure
Pokemon anime: 1997
Digimon anime: 1999

(09-03-2012 07:00 PM)GIANNIS Wrote: [ -> ]as for pokemon wannabe i have no idea, i could never put pokemon vs digimon in my mind because they are two different things....
Monsters fighting each other, evolving...yeah, they are two different things.
Hes right even monster rancher came out before digimon
And my point is to amplify tha poke mon came out long before dgimon
(10-03-2012 06:02 AM)Vahn Death Heart Wrote: [ -> ]I know pokemon came before digimon but first it was magic the gathering

Magic the gathering? I thought that was just a card game. Actually, I've never heard of it before until recently. I KNOW that this is probably off topic, but can someone enlighten me on what this is?

And sorry for not doing my research and looking like a moron Vetus Sad I was just trying to contribute is all. ANYWAYS, since I know that there have been lawsuits against Pokemon, haven't their been lawsuits against Digimon? I mean, honestly if you think about it, Digimon kinda STOLE THE ENTIRE IDEA after Pokemon came out. So I would imagine that someone from Game Freak would have gone and sued them. Of course, Digimon was never as popular as Pokemon, so they probably never needed to do so.
(10-03-2012 06:57 AM)Vetus Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2012 07:00 PM)GIANNIS Wrote: [ -> ]as for pokemon wannabe i have no idea, i could never put pokemon vs digimon in my mind because they are two different things....
Monsters fighting each other, evolving...yeah, they are two different things.

beeing ironic wont solve anything here...

i am just stating my opinion...dont be close minded and dont start fanboism...
Well, to be honest, I don't see very many differences between Pokemon and Digimon.
(10-03-2012 04:25 PM)Giratina88 Wrote: [ -> ]Magic the gathering? I thought that was just a card game. Actually, I've never heard of it before until recently. I KNOW that this is probably off topic, but can someone enlighten me on what this is?
Magic the gathering is yes a card game created by the makers of D&D created in 93, but it was the start of major card game series, like pokemon, digimon, and yugioh.
Its basically pay enough mana to play a card.
And just so you and others know monster rancher is a monster raising game you get from discs created in late 97.
(10-03-2012 08:38 PM)Giratina88 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, to be honest, I don't see very many differences between Pokemon and Digimon.

While there are not a lot here are a couple.
Tamers are only able to have one digimon, digimon have four evolutions, they are able to merge with another pokemon and in somecases humans.
Oh and digimon can de-evolve
(10-03-2012 04:25 PM)Giratina88 Wrote: [ -> ]Digimon kinda STOLE THE ENTIRE IDEA after Pokemon came out.

Just like many others. But even if they stole it, they made their franchise in a way that they can't be accused of exactly copying Pokémon.

(10-03-2012 09:33 PM)Vahn Death Heart Wrote: [ -> ]Tamers are only able to have one digimon, digimon have four evolutions, they are able to merge with another pokemon and in somecases humans.
Oh and digimon can de-evolve

Still, the main concept however, the inspiration let's say for this franchise to be created was from Pokémon.

And to make things clear, I am not against Digimon. I wouldn't have any problem to play a Digimon game if a good one came out. Even if they have stolen the main idea, I believe that it doesn't matter if they offer us a worthy product.
(10-03-2012 10:04 PM)Divided by Zer0 Wrote: [ -> ]And to make things clear, I am not against Digimon. I wouldn't have any problem to play a Digimon game if a good one came out. Even if they have stolen the main idea, I believe that it doesn't matter if they offer us a worthy product.

same for me here...if something is good why not try it out even if it's stolen....they offered a very good story and they have announced some good games (not as much as pokemon but still preaty good).
Eh same here and i know the concept is the same main reason i dont play pcg dcg or ycg is because the concept is all alike from mtg
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's