- Water Absorb The Pokémon heals up to 1/4 of it’s maximum Hit Points when hit with Water-type moves or Damp Explosion and Selfdestruct will not work while the Pokémon is on the field.
- Base Stats
HP90 Attack85 Defense95 Sp.Atk70 Sp.Def90 Speed70
- Poliwrath is a surprisingly well around creature with good Defenses which actually help out of its moveset. Water Absorb is much better than Damp most of the times and is a good way to regain lost Hit Points. Its role as a Special Sweeper is actually impossible, since its movepool implies that he must be used as a Physical Sweeper.
- Strategy against Poliwrath
- Poliwrath can deliver an impressive amount of damage with its physical attacks so a Pokémon with good Defenses and type advantage over his moves and Poliwrath’s type. will probably sustain the damage. Pokémon such as Pidgeot will have the upper hand as will do fast special type Pokémon such as Alakazam. Moves like Aerial Ace and Psychic will solve your problems.
- Online Pokédex
Role: Physical Sweeper
- Item Held
- Salac Berry (Speed increases when Hit Points drop low)
- Jolly (+Speed –Special Attack)
- Effort Points
- 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
- Speed is required for this set, so having a Jolly nature and plenty Effort Points into that stat will give you the upper hand early in battle. Start with Substitute and follow with Belly Drum achieving amazing Attack. Then choose to follow with either the all-powerful Earthquake or the STAB Brick Break. If you wish, you can substitute Substitute with any other physical attack. Sweep your way to victory!
These are the moves Poliwag can learn through breeding with Pokémon of the Water 1 Egg Group. Click here for the Pokémon it can get them from.
This section is to advise you on the areas in which you can train for the acquisition of the Effort Points presented above. It is recommended you use 10 vitamins on the stat you desire to raise. Do not use vitamins on stats that require less than 100 Effort Points. Equip the Macho Brace on your Pokémon to speed up the process even more.
- Rusturf Tunner [Wishmur +1]
- Fish with Super Rod on Route 118 [Carvanha +1]
- Route 118 [Elektrike +1] [Manectric +2] [Zigzagoon +1] [Linoone +2] [Wingull +1]
- Fire Red/Leaf Green
- Viridian Forest [Caterpie +1]
- Routes 16, 18 [Doduo +1] [Dodrio +2]
- Route 1 [Pidgey +1] [Rattata +1]
- Diglett’s Cave [Diglett +1] [Dugtrio +2]
- Item Held
- Blue Scarf
- Mild, Modest, Rash or Quiet
- Contest Moveset
- Hydro Pump [Beauty]
- Surf [Beauty]
- Dive [Beauty]
- Submission [Cool]
The above moveset is quire obvious. Dive and Surf make an excellent combo but keep in mind that Surf depends on the previous’ Pokémon’s appeal and Dive will make you impervious once. Use Hydro Pump for a standard amount of Appeal Points and Submission if placed last. Eventhough Submission is a Cool Type move, it will help you obtain additional points in case you really need them provided you use it at the right moment.
Useful Links: If you are not familiar with game language used above, read through the
Stats & Training Guide, the Team Building Guide and the Egg Group Guide. More guides shall be added soon to help you out. If you have suggestions on additional movesets for either Battles or Contests, please post them in the Comments section. I will then evaluate them and probably add some of them, giving you credit.