Legendary Pokémon

Full Version: The Question Thread - Got a question? Post it HERE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Golurk has obtained EVs either by the Carboses or by battling. You either have to find out its EVs (which you cannot do if you haven't kept track of them) or you can't learn its IVs.
First off, welcome. Big Grin

Now, every time you KO a Pokémon -any Pokémon- the ones you used to KO it gain some Effort Points. If you've read a guide about how Effort Points and Values work, you already understand that they raise the actual stat of your Pokémon. The reason you're getting an error message is because you haven't filled the EVs boxes in the calculator. As GeorgeSlayer said, if you haven't kept track of EVs from the moment you caught/hatched your Pokémon, you can't know them, you can't see them in-game and thus, you can't get accurate results for IVs.

Try using the calculator with a Pokémon you just caught, before letting in battle. The calc isn't going to give you an error message because it hasn't gained any Effort Points. Now if you KO, say, 20 Roggenrola, you'll notice that its Defense stat will go up. If you input its new stat but raise the Defense EV to 20, you'll still get the same result.

Hope I explained it ok and didn't confuse you even more. Toungue
Thank you, that is very helpful. Unfortunately I did not know about EVs until now. However, I think that I can in fact find what EVs it has (even though I haven't been counting.) I need a sanity check though.

Here goes: If I take the stats that he does have, and subtract what the IV calculator says is the norm, I will have the excess EVs left over. From there I can divide and find effort points, correct?

I read that it was 4 EP to 1 EV at level 100. The number 400 divided by the pokemon's level is how I got to this conclusion. My Golurk is at 58, so that's roughly 6.8 EP to 1 EV. I've also read that nothing in pokemon is rounded up (it's floored,) so that makes it 6 EP to 1 EV for my level 58 Golurk.

HP 204 - 189 = 15 ev = 90 ep (at 58); 60 ep (at 100)
ATK 173 - 166 = 7 ev = 42 ep (at 58); 28 ep (at 100)
DEF 116 - 115 = 1 ev = 6 ep (at 58); 4 ep (at 100)
SpA 89 - 86 = 3 ev = 18 ep (at 58); 12 ep (at 100)
SpD 114
SPD 78 - 77 = 1 ev = 6 ep (at 58); 4 ep (at 100)

So, this means that I have a lot of HP ep, and that makes sense because I spent a long time grinding on Stunfisks because Golurk was immune to their attacks. Stunfisks grant HP effort points. I also gave him 10 carbos. I don't know why I'm only 1 ev over the mark on speed, but perhaps I'm not. Does this make sense? How far off the mark am I?

Theorycrafting in pokemon, sheesh.

EDIT: When I put my theoretical EVs into the calculator it still gives me the error message. One thing I could do though is trial and error my way through, adding EVs until I no longer get error messages. I'm gonna do that next.

EDIT 2: So I went through adding EVs until I got no more error messages, one by one in each of the stats working off of what the calc thinks a regular sassy Golurk with dragon hidden power should be. Here's what I got:

#623 Golurk [Sassy]
IVs: 30 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 11 / 31
Stats at Lv.58:
HP 204;108 ev
ATK 173;44 ev
DEF 116;4 ev
SpA 89;16 ev
SpD 114
SPD 78;4 ev

Is that possible? Have I successfully calculated my EV at 176? I still don't understand how speed is at +4 ev when I've given him 10 carbos, unless his sassy nature has been slowly eating away at that.

EDIT 3: I just went out and killed 6 Stunfisk (6 HP ep) and used a rare candy. He gained +4 HP EV, and his health went to 210. Then I reset and gave him the rare candy without killing the Stunfisks and he gained +4 HP EV, and his health only went to 208. I must be off somehow. Killing 6 Stunfisk got me an extra two hitpoints, but I'm not seeing how. I repeated the experiment with the same results. So lost. Smile

EDIT 4: Wait, I understand now! Stunfisk give 2 hp effort points, not just one. That means killing 6 gave me 12, and at 12 ep that's 2 EV, hence the extra 2 HP that I got. That leads me to wonder: why didn't the extra two HP EV show up when I leveled (the +4 HP part.) Sorry for all the edits, but I wanted you guys to see my train of thought so you could help me understand better. Again, any help is appreciated!
I think you got a bit confused or maybe you got ME confused but either way, I think what you say is a bit wrong...Toungue
There is no norm in the IV Calc as for you to see whether your Golurk has excess EPs or not. There can't be any norm because there is no comparison to anything for it to exist. I mean, you say that the calculator says that the normal stat is 189 in HP and you have 204. The thing is that would be normal IF it had 31 IV in HP, which you don't know right now if it has because you don't know the exact amount of EPs in HP your Golurk has at the moment. If it had a 31 IV in HP your theory would be right but right now, you don't know the IV so you can't know for sure if that's correct. For example, your Golurk might normally had a 17 IV in HP, so that would make him had 181 HP without the EPs and you would have to gain much more EPs for it to reach 204 in the stat. To sum up, the thing is you must know the EXACT amount of EPs of the Pokémon to learn the right IVs, or else you'll get confused like you are now. Toungue
Also if you have given him 10 Carbos then it definitely has at least 100 EPs in Speed. Carbos gives 10 EPs in Speed each so again, you might have more EPs in Speed right now in your Golurk than you actually think. He has 78 Speed WITH the EPs it has right now AND the combination of its IV in Speed. So if you have given him 10 Carbos and his Speed at Lvl 58 is almost like the Speed it would have without EPs at all with 31 IVs, then it surely his real Speed IV is much lower.
The whole point is that at the current moment there is no actual legal way of finding your exact amount EPs of your Golurk. If it was Gen IV I would suggest you the stat-lowering Berries (Grepa,Tamato etc) which in fact lower the amount of EPs you have. You would give as much Berries as it would be needed for your Golurk to say "stat can't be lowered anymore" in every stat and then the stats you'd have would be the right ones you should put in the calculator, because those would be the stats Golurk has without the EPs at all. Unfortunately those Berries can't be obtained right now legally in-game (or so I think) until the Dream World is open.
As for the EPs you gained while beating Stunfisks now..the EPs in B/W are counted the moment they are gained. When you gain 4 EPs, you gain 1 point in the stat immediately, so that's why you didn't see the extra points while leveling up, it had taken them already. If you looked its stats while training him you'd have seen it. The +4 while leveling up would have been +4 either way you leveled him (with Rare Candies or with Exp).
So, most likely your Golurk hasn't 31 IVs in almost all of its stats but probably excess EPs which are added with your original stat and show a mistaken result and higher IVs than the original.
Thanks for the reply. Well that is frustrating. I do not want to start over, so I suppose I'm just going to press on. I want Golurk to have a ton of health, so I'm going to return to the stunfisks with the item that increases HP EV gain. I guess he'll be max'd out on HP when he stops gaining them from EV training. I wish there was a way to calculate it though, as now it will drive me crazy.

EDIT: Ah, you're right. The EVs are applies immediately. With the item in hand every Stunfisk that Golurk kills is equal to a whole hitpoint. Nice.

EDIT 2: After killing six Stunfisks, Golurk is no longer gaining HP. I guess that means he's max'd out already.... at 210 HP? Assuming that he is in fact max'd out at 255 HP EV at level 58, that would mean 42 of his hitpoints come from the extra EP. So at level 100 that will translate into 63 extra hitpoints? It doesn't seem like much.

[Remember I'm going off of 400/level=xfloored=xEP:1EV, so (400/58=6.89floored=6EP:1EV) and (400/100=4floored=4EP:1EV)]
(03-04-2011 09:09 PM)Gumpert Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Ah, you're right. The EVs are applies immediately. With the item in hand every Stunfisk that Golurk kills is equal to a whole hitpoint. Nice.

EDIT 2: After killing six Stunfisks, Golurk is no longer gaining HP. I guess that means he's max'd out already.... at 210 HP?

If by item that increases HP EV gain you mean the Power Weight, then each Stunfisk gives 2+4=6 HP Effort Points which is even more than a stat point.

As for the second edit, it may mean many different things. One, your Golurk may have max'd its HP EV by gaining 255 EPs. Two, it may have max'd its total EVs by gaining 510 EPs but hasn't reached 255 (or 252) in HP. Three, you just haven't killed enough Stunfisk for another point, remember that in levels below 100, 4 EPs won't always give one extra point.
You can at least eliminate the 2nd one by talking to the lady in Opelucid City that gives your Pokémon an Effort Ribbon if it has max'd its total EVs.
(03-04-2011 09:29 PM)Ninjomewtwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2011 09:09 PM)Gumpert Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Ah, you're right. The EVs are applies immediately. With the item in hand every Stunfisk that Golurk kills is equal to a whole hitpoint. Nice.

EDIT 2: After killing six Stunfisks, Golurk is no longer gaining HP. I guess that means he's max'd out already.... at 210 HP?

If by item that increases HP EV gain you mean the Power Weight, then each Stunfisk gives 2+4=6 HP Effort Points which is even more than a stat point.......you just haven't killed enough Stunfisk for another point, remember that in levels below 100, 4 EPs won't always give one extra point.
You can at least eliminate the 2nd one by talking to the lady in Opelucid City that gives your Pokémon an Effort Ribbon if it has max'd its total EVs.

Yeah, you need to be level 100 for the 4:1 ratio to work correctly. At level 56 it's 6:1. [(400/58=6.89floored=6EP:1EV) and (400/100=4floored=4EP:1EV)]

Anyways, I just got through killing 24 EP worth of Stunfisk and no more HP gain. I think it's tike to head to Opelucid and see if I get a ribbon.

EDIT: Golurk put in a great effort. So I guess I have HP max'd but am not EV max'd. Think I'll go for attack now.
(03-04-2011 09:41 PM)Gumpert Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Golurk put in a great effort. So I guess I have HP max'd but am not EV max'd. Think I'll go for attack now.

Check its ribbons, if it got an Effort Ribbon, it means it has gained the maximum possible 510 EPs. HP may or may not be maxed.
Recently, when I have my Arceus defeat an Audino, its HP goes up despite not leveling up. Is this an example of EVs?
Yes, Audino gives Effort Points in HP so Arceus' HP stat increases. Supposing your Arceus is Lv.100, every 4 2 Audino you kill will give 1 stat point in HP.
huh? But EVERY time it kills an Audino, it gets an EV. Then again, it has pokerus...is that why?
Ah, there seems to be no effort ribbon awarded in Black and White. Anyone know what the effort rater will say when EVs are max'd out then?

EDIT: After some research I've found that when the lady says "X has put in great effort" that means that they are fully max'd out on EVs. So my Golurk's done and stuck with what he's got. Thanks for the help here!
(03-04-2011 10:05 PM)Giratina88 Wrote: [ -> ]huh? But EVERY time it kills an Audino, it gets an EV. Then again, it has pokerus...is that why?

Pokérus doubles the EPs you receive, Audino normally gives 2 HP EPs, x2 due to Pokérus =4. So yeah, it should gain 1 stat point after every Audino.

(03-04-2011 10:12 PM)Gumpert Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, there seems to be no effort ribbon awarded in Black and White. Anyone know what the effort rater will say when EVs are max'd out then?

EDIT: After some research I've found that when the lady says "X has put in great effort" that means that they are fully max'd out on EVs. So my Golurk's done and stuck with what he's got. Thanks for the help here!

Didn't know about the Effort Ribbon in B/W, my bad. Toungue
how do EV's and IV's and the rest of the stuff related to that work?
Have a look at this short guide about EVs: #t...g-and-ep-s
Check here for IVs and a more extensive analysis on EVs: http://www.legendarypokemon.net/training

If you don't understand something or have questions, ask again. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Reference URL's